Civilization VI

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Spaceports? It never gets that far. Other Civs win via Cultural every time. Only done like 3 full games, and every time it was a loss due to Cultural loss. Bombers and tanks? never gets that far.

I guess that's the issue? End game to me is around turn 300, me and others are around the Atomic/Info age, and Germany or someone rolls in with a Cultural win. I've done both the turtle thing and domination thing and this happens every time.

I think you need to start working with a more long term goal plan. Start prioritizing your Civics development by beelining for next form of government (I always play Classic Republic - Merchant Republic - Democracy) This gives you access to more policy card slots, so more simultaneous bonuses. Start actively planning development to hit Eurekas for tech and Civics so as to reduce a lot of research times in half, this will allow you to save a ton of science and time on research. Theoretically, you dont need more than 3 Campuses to win with a science victory. Something to think about is what districts youre building too. I basically never build Holy Sites, Encampments, Entertainment District. But I make sure that I get 2 Campus districts running early with upgraded buildings, 2 Theatre districts with upgraded buildings by mid game. I normally have a commercial hub (or for coastal towns Harbors) in every city. Cash is king and upgrading those finance buildings (Market, Bank, etc.) gets the money flowing, and give you Merchant GP points which translates to more cash, and specialized luxury resources to increase amenities. Its why i dont build entertainment districts, I typically have 2-5 amenities per town just by upgrading resources on map, trading for them, or getting them through Great merchants. Reason i build harbors is that you still get a trade route like Commercial Hub, but you also get a bunch of naval tech eurekas (from the harbor and building associated ships and buildings) that save you research time later on. Then finally, I start building an industrial district for every city by mid to late game.

When I get Early Empire civic card about 50 turns in (50% off production time for settlers) i just crank 4-6 in the next 50 turns, just waiting long enough so as not deplete to many pops from the capital city. So your end game looks like 7-10 cities, you'll add another 2-3 towns after the initial expansion of 4-6 towns either to cockblock your neighbor or just claim unused land nearby you before anyone else does. Almost each city by the late game should have a commercial hub and an industrial district, and 2-3 campuses and 2-3 theatre districts in the empire. If you have the time or spare hammers throughout the game you can build the other districts like Holy Site, Encampment and the associated building to trigger some tech Eureka. I do lots of build improvements on the map (i try to keep almost 1 improvement per pop ratio) so if my city has a population of 10, i want around 7 upgraded tiles (farms, mines, luxuries) for them to work. My traders always take priority in build queues, so I always have a full count of traders generating cash, science and culture. When it comes to city states I always prioritize science and culture based city-states to become suzerains of. I dont try to become a suzerain of every city-state, only key ones. I let everyone else fight over the religious and military city-states. industrial ones are good too if you have some extra envoys to use. Only spend envoys on city-states if you can become a suzerain right away, otherwise just hold them in reserve until you have enough

I keep my armies minimal, no more than 1 unit per city, and always an archer, later on when you upgrade archer to crossbowman, they are extremely effective in defending towns. 2 crossbowmen and a city with walls can hold off a large AI charge for a long time. So I dont spend a lot of hammers there.

I used to be a big Wonder guy, but now I only build if I have production to spare and nothing to spend it on. Great Zimbabwe Wonder is very OP, so if you can get that (plan for it from turn 1 if you have a pasture and flat land near your capital), crank out your trade routes from that city, you can make some major cash. in some cases, an extra 100+ gold per turn

Hope some of this helps. Otherwise I just wasted a lot of time.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This all helps. I take the easy approach to civics and techs, since I learned you can click on "Advanced Flight" for example, and it'll auto-queue all the techs in between. I need to pay better attention to the Eurekas and do those.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
This all helps. I take the easy approach to civics and techs, since I learned you can click on "Advanced Flight" for example, and it'll auto-queue all the techs in between. I need to pay better attention to the Eurekas and do those.

Yeah dont do the auto-queue thing, you have to micromanage the techs and civic selection so you can hop from one Eureka to another.

I have a specific Eureka build queue that I use that lets you move ahead quickly through first 100 turns of tech and civics. If you want i can write it up and post it here

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
my current game.

these are the kind of trade routes yield you can now get in a city with a governor, that has a great zimbabwe wonder
37 gold, 13 culture, 6 hammers in a single route.

upload_2018-2-10_19-26-27.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
science victory with Korea on Prince. 2-3 more turns and I could have had a culture victory too

upload_2018-2-10_20-39-31.png

upload_2018-2-10_20-40-16.png

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Man...I love that your ass can try and settle near me...but the influence will make that a bitch NOT to become a free city. Fuckin U.S for some reason keeps trying in my games though.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think both U.S. and Russia just put their cities in the middle of everything because that happened to me pre-xpac too, like literally dropped a couple cities in the handful of tiles between two of mine.

I like the expansion so far, I'm going for a culture victory. China is expanding a terrifying amount, AI seem to really hate city states they aren't Suzarians of, loyalty is actually an interesting mechanic so far (although I think most times it will be a lose-more mechanic, not sure yet) and I find the historical moments charming if a bit silly sometimes (the people are celebrating the promotion of your first master spy! .... in a secret basement somewhere undisclosed...)

Governors are whatever, they seem way less powerful than I was expecting except under very specific circumstances. New buildings and units are nice, I ignored the government district like all game until I had nothing better to do but looks like it's a really good early expansion district.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
The AI is still absolutely atrocious. Civs that want to expand early like America are plopping cities right next to enemy cities that have huge influence and then trying to war with the other civ which results in them getting massively war weary without being able to actually do anything. They end up losing a war because it's easy to defend against swordsmen and then losing that city after putting a ton of resources into it and ending up at a massive disadvantage. Sometimes I understand it because if you're Mongolian then you can war at an early turn, but civs like Russia and the US have a huge disadvantage doing that with shitty early units.

I've tried downloading a mod, but all that does is give them advantages in gold or whatever, it's not a good fix.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I should stop reading this thread, it makes me think about spending money on this that I know I'll regret

• 1Solidarity

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man...I love that your ass can try and settle near me...but the influence will make that a bitch NOT to become a free city. Fuckin U.S for some reason keeps trying in my games though.
wait, are you saying that AI forward settles on your capital and then the city turns to you?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Well not on my capital, but close enough to one of my cities that the newly founded city usually goes into rebellion. I swoop in and scoop it up!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Realized this in recent game, that I had catapults and field cannons attacking a newly settled city, that was super close to all of mine. I couldn't capture it because I didn't have a unit that wasn't ranged? that's my only guess. But I just attacked that shit for a while, and was getting +5 exp every time they'd attack after the town would heal for 20 hp. Then finally brought a spearman dude over and captured the city.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Realized this in recent game, that I had catapults and field cannons attacking a newly settled city, that was super close to all of mine. I couldn't capture it because I didn't have a unit that wasn't ranged? that's my only guess. But I just attacked that shit for a while, and was getting +5 exp every time they'd attack after the town would heal for 20 hp. Then finally brought a spearman dude over and captured the city.
Ranged/Bombard units can't capture cities, only melee like your Spearman.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Got the expansion, game is definitely still meh. Love how i'm in the modern era launching like 2/3 of my fucking mars shits and lol I didn't get enough era points so as my civ is heading to the stars we're now in a dark age. Makes sense. And jesus the AI, it's like they totally ignored it. I'm honestly not sure why they didn't just mirror the AI over from V. It's still garbage in V but it's much better than VI. On my prince game two people would simultaneously declare war on me and just not ever attack. Even the dudes on my continent. Was retarded.

• 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got the expansion, game is definitely still meh. Love how i'm in the modern era launching like 2/3 of my fucking mars shits and lol I didn't get enough era points so as my civ is heading to the stars we're now in a dark age. Makes sense. And jesus the AI, it's like they totally ignored it. I'm honestly not sure why they didn't just mirror the AI over from V. It's still garbage in V but it's much better than VI. On my prince game two people would simultaneously declare war on me and just not ever attack. Even the dudes on my continent. Was retarded.
I mean, we are launching shit at Mars and it feels like a dark age sometimes. I'm not sure that's unrealistic at all :p

I don't seem to have the same issue with AI, it seems way better with the expansion. I was having to play around Sumaria at the beginning of my current game but they overexpanded into City States and China has taken over via loyalty and being China in the industrial era and has fucking tanks and I've got like, shooty-pikes or whatever that one is called. I'm mostly throwing gifts at them periodically to hopefully avoid war while I try and click over into mega-tourism