Coffee Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
forgive my heathenish

my wife and I mild coffee drinkers, several coups a day. our current brewer is one that drips into an insulated therms, not a glass pot w/ a heater. we like this much better than previous glass pots on heaters as if you don't get a cup in the first few minutes, it's terrible. problem is it's about 2 years old, so not brewing as hot initially, and only makes 10 cups. well, holds 10 cups of water pre-brewed, there's never that much in the pot. so my wife and i fight over how evenly the pot is shared lol

can anyone recommend a basic brewer that just uses an insulated pot, doesn't heat after brewing? we have a french press, and few brewers you put on the stove, we typically cna't be bothered w/ the extra effort, especially 1st thing in the morning.

was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DTC-975BKN-Programmable-Thermal-Brewer/dp/B0000YTYGM/ref=sr_1_53 , but open to suggestions for better quality. i don't see any like this that boast the ability to ensure water temp during brewing.

We have virtually the same thing as your example, it will meet all your needs. It's great.

RoyalAssassin

Molten Core Raider
forgive my heathenish

my wife and I mild coffee drinkers, several coups a day. our current brewer is one that drips into an insulated therms, not a glass pot w/ a heater. we like this much better than previous glass pots on heaters as if you don't get a cup in the first few minutes, it's terrible. problem is it's about 2 years old, so not brewing as hot initially, and only makes 10 cups. well, holds 10 cups of water pre-brewed, there's never that much in the pot. so my wife and i fight over how evenly the pot is shared lol

can anyone recommend a basic brewer that just uses an insulated pot, doesn't heat after brewing? we have a french press, and few brewers you put on the stove, we typically cna't be bothered w/ the extra effort, especially 1st thing in the morning.

was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DTC-975BKN-Programmable-Thermal-Brewer/dp/B0000YTYGM/ref=sr_1_53 , but open to suggestions for better quality. i don't see any like this that boast the ability to ensure water temp during brewing.

If you want to go a step above basic this (https://www.amazon.com/Technivorm-M...949529&sr=8-7&keywords=technivorm+moccamaster) is a great coffee maker.

I have been using one for 5 years and it still makes fantastic coffee. I know it's not exactly what you asked but thought I would throw out a really nice coffee maker. The thermos, as you stated, is amazing.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
my girlfriend wants a coffee maker that has customizable music that plays when the pot is done. in particular, she wants it to play "the hymn of the fayth" from final fantasy 10. much googling has revealed all sorts of crazy hipster coffee pots with ridiculous features, but nothing like this. i don't think it exists, but thought i'd throw it out there.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
what you want is more known as an insulated coffee carafe

(carafe is just fancy name for coffee pot)

and yea it's better than glass, b/c the heating element usually leads to "scortched" coffee, so many are being dripped into steel carafes now.

the problem you're facing is that many coffee makers suck and don't properly heat the water to the desired temp (195-205) any less and you get weak coffee, any more and you get burned coffee, the scaa has a list that are tested to goto the proper temp.

a good one that is like 130 is
bonavita 8 cup

even has the steel carafe (these generally cost 20bucks more than versions w/ glass)

if you want more options, ask, the current scaa list is here

• Technivorm Moccamaster
  • Behmor Connected Brewer or Behmor Connected Coffee Brew System
  • KitchenAid Coffee Maker KCM0802
  • KitchenAid Pour Over Coffee Brewer (model KCM0801OB)
  • Bonavita Coffee Maker (model BV1900TS)
  • Bonavita BV1900TD 8-Cup Digital Coffee Brewer
  • OXO On 9-Cup Coffee Maker
  • OXO On 12-Cup Coffee Maker
  • Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker
  • BUNN 10-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
  • Behmor Brazen Connected 8 Cup Coffee Maker
  • Cuisinart PurePrecision™ Pour Over Coffee Brewer

Solid list.

I purchased the OXO 9-cup one on the recommendation of barristas at two different local artisal coffee roasters here and have been happy with it. It has the added bonus of having a brew timer feature, so that I can set it the night before to make coffee in the morning. I didn't think that I would care much, but I love this feature now.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
my girlfriend wants a coffee maker that has customizable music that plays when the pot is done. in particular, she wants it to play "the hymn of the fayth" from final fantasy 10. much googling has revealed all sorts of crazy hipster coffee pots with ridiculous features, but nothing like this. i don't think it exists, but thought i'd throw it out there.
Keep crazy music songs at the wedding, Jesus Christ, dis be coffee we talking about.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Good article this...

5 Coffee Splurges that Aren't Worth the Money

That being said... I dont know if I would buy a Technivorm when a French Press or Aeropress is pretty much capable of making just as good a cup of coffee.

So this asshole list says that I shouldn't buy an espresso machine if I don't make more than 1 or 2 shots a day (which is about what I do).

Is there any other way to get that concentrated, full taste out of some other brew method that doesn't taste too watery like an Americano?

I'm more than happy to switch to a less costly, less maintenance-intensive brewing method.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So this asshole list says that I shouldn't buy an espresso machine if I don't make more than 1 or 2 shots a day (which is about what I do).

Is there any other way to get that concentrated, full taste out of some other brew method that doesn't taste too watery like an Americano?

I'm more than happy to switch to a less costly, less maintenance-intensive brewing method.

Still happy with my Moka pot. Dirt cheap and 90% there for an actual espresso in terms of flavor. Absolute bargain, compared to a machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-06835-Brikka-Stovetop-Espresso/dp/B008G48DW4

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger

You dont get as much crema, but the Aeropress has a good tasting expresso.

Easier clean up too.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That looks cool, sounds like initially it is a pain in the ass to use.

How much coffee do you get out of it per pot?

It's really not difficult at all to use. Just watch a YouTube video or two and you should be set. Be mindful of the fill line (not above the safety valve) and do not tamp the grounds like an espresso machine. I just lightly tap the grounds with a spoon to even it out. Do not press.

That "2 cup" model is just for me and makes a good strong cup of coffee. They sell larger versions if you want more.

2 cup or 4 cup models available.

Bialetti : brikka

• 1Like

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
You dont get as much crema, but the Aeropress has a good tasting expresso.

Easier clean up too.
you also can use a mesh filter instead of the paper if you're looking for crema. I got a pack of three on amazon for less than $10

LiquidDeath

Make the coffee thread great again!

So I've just gotten into cold brewing my own coffee and I'm really impressed at how much less acidic the coffee is. I'm having trouble getting pure flavor out of my home brew, though. Everything pre-bottled I drink seems to have a very explicit taste when drinking it black, but my own doesn't. Anyone know any tricks? Is my grind too fine? Is my extract too short? Please share.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
How long are you doing extraction, how are you pulling out the grinds, and how fine are the grinds?

I usually do 12-24 hour extraction, extra course grind, and filtering is done by either a chemex or stainless steel in a pitcher.

Also, are you making concentrate or are you making regular strength cold-brew?

LiquidDeath

I am doing an infusion extraction using this nutmilk bag filled with 8 oz of ground coffee submerged in a full 1 gallon pitcher of water.

I have a Baratza Virtuoso burr grinder that was set to level 28 (out of 40) for grind coarseness. My next batch I was going to move to 32.

I left the infusion in a 34 degree refrigerator for 24 hours.

From my research, it looks like my coffee might be a bit weak due to the coffee/water ration (which appears to be 1:16 in my current case). Could this be why it is bitter?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea, your coffee to water ratio is weak, remember coffee works opposite world.

most ppl think

bitter = use less coffee, nope, use more!!!

also, i've used those cloth baggies before, if you go anymore fine, your coffee won't be good, also those cloth baggies got real annoying trying to clean, etc.

Currently i just grind up beans in a gallon jug, pour water in (wait 20/hrs) and strain w/ a 8-12cup coffee filter (i use the coffee grind holder from my coffee maker)over a colander. all the grinds sink to the bottom, so top 7/8 just flows through, then just shake the rest of the grinds onto the filter and let it drain out.

i use the brown filters since i compost and of course the grinds to compost as well, so i don't feel like i'm wasting anything. (coffee grinds seem to be the only thing revitalizing my lawn anyway, all that nitrogen i guess)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What coffee/water ratio do you recommend?
well right now your doing 8oz (1cup) to 1gallon(16cups) so 1:16

You should really try closer to 1:5

Yea, it sounds like a lot, but remember you're doing cold brew, which "should" be concentrate, and ppl usually dilute w/ a 1:1 ratio of cold water:cold brew.

it also depends on your coffee brand, but keep the grind corse.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I used the most coarse setting I could on my grinder when I was regularly making it at home. French Press coarseness.

I had a similar problem to you when using the recommended ratios I found online and adding more coffee gave it much better flavor. I also let it steep for longer. I can't actually remember the ratios other than to say most of the articles I read on homemade cold brew recommended the same ratios and they were too weak. Until I dialed it in the coffee would taste very watery up front. The finish would be a little stronger but was bland instead of that almost nutty flavor you can get from good cold brewed coffee.

After I got it right it was pretty damn good. I just got tired cleaning my steeping bags for reuse (similar to the nutmilk bags you linked above) so I stopped doing it.

• 1Like