Coffee Thread

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Success!

I used 1:5 coffee to water and the result after 23 hours was not bitter or sour. Now my problem is that it isn't particularly flavorful, just strong. What type of beans do you folks use for your coffee/cold brew. I am using these Lavazza beans.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
For cold brew i do 2LB Cafe Don Pablo CharBeanz Dark Coffee - USDA Organic Certified - Whole Bean Arabica Coffee - Full City Roast, 2 Pound i find the city roast matches well w/ cold brew, 1:5

for normal brewing i use 2LB Cafe Don Pablo Gourmet Coffee Colombian Supremo - Medium-Dark Roast Coffee - Whole Bean Coffee - 2 Pound ( 2 lb ) Bag
this actually doesn't match up well for cold brew, for some reason

Word of caution, watch out for your grinder if you decide to use the city roast, it is a very oily bean.

You can go back in the thread where we tried lots of amazon beans, i've settled on Don Pablo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

For cold brew i do 2LB Cafe Don Pablo CharBeanz Dark Coffee - USDA Organic Certified - Whole Bean Arabica Coffee - Full City Roast, 2 Pound i find the city roast matches well w/ cold brew, 1:5

for normal brewing i use 2LB Cafe Don Pablo Gourmet Coffee Colombian Supremo - Medium-Dark Roast Coffee - Whole Bean Coffee - 2 Pound ( 2 lb ) Bag
this actually doesn't match up well for cold brew, for some reason

Word of caution, watch out for your grinder if you decide to use the city roast, it is a very oily bean.

You can go back in the thread where we tried lots of amazon beans, i've settled on Don Pablo.

Is your 1:5 diluted after brewing or do you drink that concentration straight?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is your 1:5 diluted after brewing or do you drink that concentration straight?
I just drink it straight, i'm a savage, i feel nuttin from caffeine or any energy drinks.

I also freeze the brew in 1in icecubes too, if that helps you. I use 1in icecubes cuz they're nice and thick and take forever to melt, they're really expensive on amazon, walmart sells a 1in silicon icecube tray, makes 8, for 2.50 or so.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I do the concentrate cubes for coffee drinks, and it's fucking awesome that my cold press gets stronger the warmer it gets. I also do a little weaker for concentration level (1:6) in a mason jar in the fridge, but mix in a couple (up to 4) shots of water along with normal ice cubes when I make cold press.

I also have this thing: Sealing Cold Brew Coffee Maker - 1 Quart
My wife or Mother-in-law got it for me. It's ok for making, though I never remember how much coffee to put in.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i've since switched to these beans 2LB Cafe Don Pablo Subtle Earth Organic Gourmet Coffee

don't get me wrong, i dont give a shit about organic, and i was skeptical about honodurus coffee, so far second bag is smooth.

i might try a lighter roast, my usually shipments are 1 every month and 1 every 3 months. i'd never do a 5lb bag, cuz it'd be stale by week 3.

2lbs is already stretching it imo, w/o the coffee vac this coffee woulda been toast weeks ago.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well coffee maker finally decided to die, stupid electronics. (control panel fitzzing out)

so my requirements are
1. zero electronics (no timer shit)
2. must be sca certified to brew at 190f

settled on bonavita 8 cup
9c44f1c6b393ab39c2cb11b9c1c753a7.png

holy shit, just one button!!! , and you can even pre-infuse the coffee (you hold down the button), w/ 8cups it's large enough. Also bonavita makes a few different models, many have the basket laying on top of the carafe, i guess sorta like pour over, but that was silly to me, and also it would be +1 extra hassle for my wife to use, so i wanted one w/ a top holding basket.

I'm actually not a fan of thermal carafes, so glass is fine w/ me. get it sunday, so we'll see.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
holy shit this coffee maker is light, like it feels really fucking cheap, however i brews faster than my old bunn, and it brewed it at 192f. i'm keeping it, love only have one button, hold for 10s to set pre-infusion.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
thanks for the bump, meant to ask awhile ago when my GF started being interested, but forgot

-- what's the best way to make cold brew?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
thanks for the bump, meant to ask awhile ago when my GF started being interested, but forgot

-- what's the best way to make cold brew?
well lets break cold brew down to this

time:
AT LEAST
12 hours

NO MORE than
24 hours

too little time, theres no extraction, over 24hours, seems to get funky

water:
as with all coffee, it is 99% water so water quality is most important

tool:
You can go as cheap as just soaking in a french press

of course you'll have a lot of grit, silt.

Toddy cold brew is the cold brew standard. put the plug in, put the filter on, just put coffee in the big tub, pour water, then when you're ready to extract, put it over the container and pull the plug.

some ppl hate the filter you have to wash then store in the fridge, so they opt for a permanent filter Takeya cold brew

some put in a canvas bag, i don't recommend this, it was annoying to clean and keep silt out

Just go for the toddy, thats what most ppl do.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah i know the basic concept of cold brew man, was just looking for opinions on what the best way to do it is.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
yeah i know the basic concept of cold brew man, was just looking for opinions on what the best way to do it is.
Mason jar of grounds and water, about 1/4 to 1/3 grounds, rest is water, fridge for 12-18 hours, filter through a chemex (in the fridge), store in another mason jar (it's concentrate though, don't drink it straight).

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

I make it 1 full gallon at a time with super coarse, freshly ground coffee, a $3 pitcher from Walmart, and a ~$10 nut milk bag from Amazon.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I make it 1 full gallon at a time with super coarse, freshly ground coffee, a $3 pitcher from Walmart, and a ~$10 nut milk bag from Amazon.
ha i use the same $3 walmart pitcher (the one w/ the fish right? heh) and dump the grounds raw in there, and just drain into a 8-12 cup coffee filter. (i leave as much of the grounds on the bottom of course, no reason to muck up the filter for the initial drain)

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've become entirely too addicted to coffee. I just drink way too much of it and it's not even for the caffeine or any type of stimulant response or need to wake up, I just love the taste of it. And because of that my body has actually gotten to the point where I go through withdrawal without it. I've been trying to ween myself off of it because it's starting to affect my sleep and overall health (I drink so much damn caffeine that my heart races half the day) and I've realized that caffeine withdrawal actually sucks as bad as the people I always thought were babies whined about. These are some of the worst headaches I've ever had in my life and painkillers do barely anything to stop them but a cup of caffeinated coffee clears them right up. It's fucked up!

• 1Solidarity

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've become entirely too addicted to coffee. I just drink way too much of it and it's not even for the caffeine or any type of stimulant response or need to wake up, I just love the taste of it. And because of that my body has actually gotten to the point where I go through withdrawal without it. I've been trying to ween myself off of it because it's starting to affect my sleep and overall health (I drink so much damn caffeine that my heart races half the day) and I've realized that caffeine withdrawal actually sucks as bad as the people I always thought were babies whined about. These are some of the worst headaches I've ever had in my life and painkillers do barely anything to stop them but a cup of caffeinated coffee clears them right up. It's fucked up!
I got those as well, it's not that bad, they are indeed paracetamol resistant headaches, but after 24 hours it's over for me. Happened to me a couple of times when I had to go from 4-6/day to 0. If I stop progressively it doesn't happen.