Coffee thread

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That better come with an amazing lifetime warranty.
I don't remember specifics, but it's at least free parts for life. Had a few cups so far, but only fromIlly stuff from Brazil. I don't have too much experience with different aspects of coffee, but the machine is pretty straight forward and it's tasted good so far.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just tried the salted caramel mocha creamer and its amazing. If this shit is going away after xmas im going to be pissed. As far as coffee I normally just go with the San Francisco bay hazelnut from Costco, everything else that taste better takes to much time to prepare for how much coffee I go through
saltedcaramel.jpg

saltedcaramel.jpg

shattuck_sl

shitlord
Just started drinking like a month ago as it got colder and I've wanted to get off soda. Haven't had anything blow my mind yet, but I've only gone to starbucks/mcd's/Biggby's (midwest/Michigan thing). Tend to like it stronger than not. WTF are blonde roasts? Just less intense flavor or something?
Blonde is Starbucks way of saying "light roast".

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Go to grocery store, look for dark roast. See almost nothing, and nothing that is coarse grind. Racist coffee selection. Decide to use the "pour by the pound" spout and grind it in their machine. I see beans but nothing comes out. Try another, nothing comes out. Hit it. Pound it. Nothing. Ok back to prebagged coffee. "Oh I can just get whole bean and open it and grind it in their machine." Do that, machine overflows bag, look in machine and notice there's like 3 bags worth of coffee beans backed up in there. Leave wasted bag of coffee behind. Store out like $15 because of me. Finally get 8 o'clock dark italian roast.

It's good.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I don't like French press coffee. I know it is popular, but I just don't like the...texture? of it. It's hard to put my finger right on it, but I think it is because it contains significantly more oil than drip or steam coffee.

If you're the type to roast your own beans, check out this guy's coffee. It's good, and his green beans are crazy cheap.

http://www.thetaridgecoffee.com/

The Master

Bronze Squire
Vacuum brewing is awesome, but it needn't be that expensive. The Bodum models are like $80, and there are a few that are like $20 (but use a disposable filter, which you can actually replace with a glass rod filter from an older model that is no longer made, just check eBay). Done properly it completely eliminates the bitterness of over/under brewing. I know exactly zero people who drink black coffee normally, but everyone will drink my vacuum brewed stuff black. Grind size is really important though, you need to get a burr grinder so all the grounds are the same size if you want to do it and grind at home.

I'll actually post the chart in Modernist Cuisine when I get a chance, it is really informative about what makes coffee good (and not good).

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't know the difference between the Keurig models, is the Vue newer? So far my experience with Keurig is that it is super convenient but the output is really watered down and not very good.

Cheap Cigar_sl

shitlord
Vacuum brewing is awesome, but it needn't be that expensive. The Bodum models are like $80, and there are a few that are like $20 (but use a disposable filter, which you can actually replace with a glass rod filter from an older model that is no longer made, just check eBay). Done properly it completely eliminates the bitterness of over/under brewing. I know exactly zero people who drink black coffee normally, but everyone will drink my vacuum brewed stuff black. Grind size is really important though, you need to get a burr grinder so all the grounds are the same size if you want to do it and grind at home.

I'll actually post the chart in Modernist Cuisine when I get a chance, it is really informative about what makes coffee good (and not good).
Yes I saw reasonable priced vacuum brewers and became more interested in trying this. Now that you post how good the coffee is using a vacuum brewer I really want one. I do have a grinder since I have a drip, percolator, and a press and need to have the proper grind for which ever I decide to use. Thanks for the information.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I don't like Keruig coffee, and it is so rare that I'm brewing a single cup, that it doesn't make sense for me.

If you do want to brew a good single cup, try one of these badboys:

6673coffee-manual.jpg

Izo

Tranny Chaser
In the low end segment: Dolce Gusto - Anyone recommend one of the 30 blend options? I got a Piccolo.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Thinking about picking up a Keurig Vue, anyone try one?
The advantages of the Vue seem to be that you can vary the strength and temperature, which you can't with the previous models.

It uses a new type of dispenser cup too, so you can't use existing K-Cups with one. The availability of the Vue-type packages is limited so far but should improve with time.

I probably wouldn't get one yet until the variety of coffee is there.