Coffee thread

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks man, that website schooled me with their brewing guides and I went ahead and ordered the Columbia Jordan.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Coffee made in a French press is good, but it has a heavier and more oily taste, which not everyone likes. Plus there is some evidence that filtered coffee has more health benefits. Reading about bulletproof coffee should turn up that info.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I hate Keurig coffee usually tastes like watery shit, but the nespresso commercial gets me interested, anyone have any experience with them, especially the latissima range? For regular coffee I'm happy French pressing but I would like a noce easy cappuccino or late whenever the mood hits me.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So Kuerig's patent on their little K-Cup design expired late in 2012, companies don't have to license the KCup design to market and sell coffee for KCup brewers anymore. Now I'm starting to see some significantly cheaper KCup coffee varieties in stores that use their own design(usually more of a mesh/filter container than pure plastic like a KCup)

Up until this year, you were usually doing well to find KCups in bulk for much less than 50 cents apiece, with brands like Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts being more like 75 cents a pop. You generally need some crazy sale and coupon stacking to get KCups down in the 30-40cent apiece range.

Went to Costco yesterday and they have a new brand I hadn't seen before, San Francisco Bay(French Roast flavor), and they were only $25 for 80, regular price, no coupon or anything. Picked them up to try and they are actually some of the better KCups I've had. Pretty strong/bold flavor, without being bitter(which is a problem for a lot of stronger-flavored KCups). Easily on par with the better brands like Starbucks or Newmans Own in my opinion, and much. much cheaper. Still not the greatest cup of coffee in the world, but at least it's quick and now relatively cheap.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I hate Keurig coffee usually tastes like watery shit, but the nespresso commercial gets me interested, anyone have any experience with them, especially the latissima range? For regular coffee I'm happy French pressing but I would like a noce easy cappuccino or late whenever the mood hits me.
Replying to a post from almost 3 months ago... But we have a Nespresso Citiz with Aeroccino (automatic milk frother). The Nespresso capsules themselves are pretty good: convenient, good flavor, every now and then can be a little watery though. You have to order the capsules online and in multiples of 50, but they ship really quickly. The Aeroccino is a pretty nifty frother where you just pour in some milk and a little magnet stir bar froths the milk and heats it up. It makes great foam, but it can be a little finicky to get started. Never tried the Latissima range with its automatic milk thing, but everyone seems to love it on Amazon, so I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Nepenthes_sl

shitlord
So Kuerig's patent on their little K-Cup design expired late in 2012, companies don't have to license the KCup design to market and sell coffee for KCup brewers anymore. Now I'm starting to see some significantly cheaper KCup coffee varieties in stores that use their own design(usually more of a mesh/filter container than pure plastic like a KCup)

Up until this year, you were usually doing well to find KCups in bulk for much less than 50 cents apiece, with brands like Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts being more like 75 cents a pop. You generally need some crazy sale and coupon stacking to get KCups down in the 30-40cent apiece range.

Went to Costco yesterday and they have a new brand I hadn't seen before, San Francisco Bay(French Roast flavor), and they were only $25 for 80, regular price, no coupon or anything. Picked them up to try and they are actually some of the better KCups I've had. Pretty strong/bold flavor, without being bitter(which is a problem for a lot of stronger-flavored KCups). Easily on par with the better brands like Starbucks or Newmans Own in my opinion, and much. much cheaper. Still not the greatest cup of coffee in the world, but at least it's quick and now relatively cheap.
My wife found this deal on amazon and I didn't believe it was true. Turns out it was. It's great coffee for the price.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
My Costco has had San Francisco Bay coffee for a long time I always enjoyed it, never tried the K cups but the brand is good especially for bulk brand.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Meh, Kuerig works great for what it is, a cup of coffee that can be made quickly. I only need 1 cup before I head out the door to work, can put it on right before I walk out the door, and by the time I track down my keys, phone, wallet, etc, it's done and I'm out the door. Zero effort, and a whole extra pot doesn't go to waste. I like it.

foop_sl

shitlord
I am always surprised to see american drinking large cup of coffee all day long....
Here in europe, we generally just drink a couple of espresso a day. I generally only drink 3 cups a day max, normally 2.
French press coffee is interesting but it lacks the intense richness of an espresso. I have tried also the vacuum thing, it was a big disappointment.
I really enjoy "AAA" blue mountain coffee, but out of about 10 stores I have tried, only one was good, standard blue mountain is just soso. Considering the price, I buy that rarely ( basically 15?-25? per 125 gr ).
Otherwise, I am drinking generally mocha kind of coffee (the bean, not the coffee with chocolate). I buy sometimes some ethiopan wild bonga forest coffee, a coffee full of surprise.

Nespresso coffees are also good, but they end up too "standardized" after a while.

And a last thing, no sugar, no cream in my coffee.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I tried a cup yesterday at Starbucks from their new Clover brewing system which according to the girl is a vacume. It was ok maybe a little better than a normal cup and not as good as other vacume cups I have had or even most French press which is my go to usually. For the price though, which was tue same as an esspresso drink I would much rather have a late or cappuccino.

Also just going to throw out my all time favorite though I almost never get it due to the amount of sugar but I had one the other day and man do I love a nice esspresso con pana.

foop_sl

shitlord
I tried a cup yesterday at Starbucks from their new Clover brewing system which according to the girl is a vacume. It was ok maybe a little better than a normal cup and not as good as other vacume cups I have had or even most French press which is my go to usually. For the price though, which was tue same as an esspresso drink I would much rather have a late or cappuccino.

Also just going to throw out my all time favorite though I almost never get it due to the amount of sugar but I had one the other day and man do I love a nice esspresso con pana.
Starbuck, if it's anything like in geneva or HK, makes some really crap espresso. Nespresso >>>>>>>> starbuck espresso.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yep it is just like geniva or HK, Starbucks is not about getting good coffer, Starbucks = convenience as in there is always one around the corner

Psypher_sl

shitlord
Yep it is just like geniva or HK, Starbucks is not about getting good coffer, Starbucks = convenience as in there is always one around the corner
Actually it is about getting good coffee...good relative to other convenient coffees. It's sure as hell a lot better than McD or DD.

BTW, so I'm a SB drinker, even at home. My preference is Dark Espresso. Anyone have any none-SB recommendations that you think I would like?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
We don't have DD and McDonald's is definitely blegh, but we are starting to get almost as many Pete's which I personally find to be better quality but I know alot of people who think it is too strong. If you like strong I would recommend Pete's or if you really want to go a little out of the way try to find local roasters, we have a couple where I am and they consistently make better beans for at home than the chains. Again just my opinion. Also if you are looking for a tasty sweet more deserts than coffee drink l, look for a Dutch Bro's neat you, I don't go there if I just want coffee but for a mocha it is my favorite.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
You all are crazy. McDonald's coffee reigns supreme in the world of cheap, convenience coffees. Starbucks is shit.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I am always surprised to see american drinking large cup of coffee all day long....Here in europe, we generallyjust drink a couple of espresso a day.
It's probably due to having been in the military and later working construction. Also, I did some napkin math and while your 'average' espresso does have more caffeine by volume, to equal the amount of caffeine in 12 cups of standard coffee you would have to drink almost 4 cups of espresso (3.75 cups, 30 US fluid ounces, 225mL). A "couple" of espressos really is only equivalent a couple cups of coffee...