Coffee thread

splok_sl

shitlord
I just picked up an AeroPress along with a ceramic grinder a couple of days ago, and it makes a pretty tasty cup of coffee. I got some single-estate Colombian beans, and it's better than the pre-ground grocery store stuff (imo).

This guytalks a lot about the mold content of coffee and recommends single estate as a way minimize the mold (of course, he also sells coffee).

some study_sl said:
(link)Ochratoxin A (OA) is a nephrotoxic and nephrocarcinogenic mycotoxin which is predominantly produced by the two ubiquitous fungal genera, Aspergillus and Penicillium. OA is found in foodstuffs, predominantly in cereals but also in coffee beans.
... Of 40 coffee brews prepared from commercially available samples OA was detected in 18 brews ... Our preliminary results suggest, therefore, that regular coffee consumption may contribute to exposure of humans to OA.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I like my Keurig machine as long as I stick to bold/dark roast coffees. Any mild/medium or light roast is just way too watery for my liking when processed through a Keurig machine.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, picking bold or extra bold helps a lot. They actually have more coffee in the K-cup, so the brewing process lasts longer.

fris

Vyemm Raider
at work, the coffee bistro (term used loosely) had horrid coffee. cream and sugar didn't help, so I gave up and just drank it black as i really only wanted the caffeine. then i started to prefer it w/o the sugar and cream. now, it's the only way I drink coffee and find I can appreciate different coffees more.

if i'm at a nice resturant, i'll always go for the french press w/ desert. usually drink it all by myself.

at home, budget restrictions and the quantity my wife and i consume limit what we get. we work from home, so most days 12 cups is gone by lunch. most days its folgers i know i know... sometimes dunkin donuts brand. which is surprisingly better at home than from the dunkin donuts that's just 1 mile from our home. maybe cause we make it stronger, just a standard drip maker.

shattuck_sl

shitlord
I just picked up an AeroPress along with a ceramic grinder a couple of days ago, and it makes a pretty tasty cup of coffee. I got some single-estate Colombian beans, and it's better than the pre-ground grocery store stuff (imo).

This guytalks a lot about the mold content of coffee and recommends single estate as a way minimize the mold (of course, he also sells coffee).
Nice, I LOVE the bulletproof website, ordered their whey protein for lifting and have been doing bulletproof coffee since July. I've also switched over to single source exclusively

Neph_sl

shitlord
I recently migrated to the pour-over method using aHario dripper. It's a little fussy and not the quickest in the world, but it makes a great cup when you get it right.

splok_sl

shitlord
Nice, I LOVE the bulletproof website, ordered their whey protein for lifting and have been doing bulletproof coffee since July. I've also switched over to single source exclusively
I've been testing out the bpc for a month or two. It's a bit strange, the first few days that I had it, I thought it was goddamned delicious, after that it got much less tasty for some reason. I think the quality of my butter is suspect, but there's not much of a selection here.

shattuck_sl

shitlord
I've been testing out the bpc for a month or two. It's a bit strange, the first few days that I had it, I thought it was goddamned delicious, after that it got much less tasty for some reason. I think the quality of my butter is suspect, but there's not much of a selection here.
No kerrygold? probably not even worth doing if it isn't grassfed butter. i've still yet to try the coffee or mct oil from his website

splok_sl

shitlord
No kerrygold? probably not even worth doing if it isn't grassfed butter. i've still yet to try the coffee or mct oil from his website
I'm in Norway, and the stores here only seem to stock local brands. I think the cattle here are generally grassfed when it's possible, but the winter is so long that I can't imagine that it's year-round. It's a bit hard to find info about since it doesn't seem like "grass-fed" is really a concept here. I've tried some mct with mixed results. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it makes me feel like shit. I understand that it's supposed to take a while to get used to digesting it, but the randomness seems strange.

Kyn

Trakanon Raider
I'm in Singapore, and I'm looking for a quality but not to terribly expensive coffee maker to use when guests come over. Any suggestions?

Neph_sl

shitlord
It's similar to drip coffee, but the difference is in the control. Temperature, amount of water, and brew time are all in your control.

First time I had a pour-over cup was in Seattle, and it was literally the best cup I've had. Like I said before, it's fussy and slow, but the quality is worth the time investment, imo.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
In my admittedly limited experience, bean quality seems to make the most immediate difference in the final product.

Lipitaur_sl

shitlord
If you are going to go with a Keurig then use the Barista Prima line of K-Cups. By far the best coffee that comes from a pod... which still isn't as good as brewing a pot but its much easier.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Apologies if it was posted somewhere else, did a quick search and didn't see anything(didn't look too hard).

I've recently gotten into french pressing my morning coffee, and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good brand, or a specific type of coffee bean they enjoy. I'm more than happy to grind it myself each morning, as I've heard that lowers the amount of flavor you lose from the bean.

quse

the pupe
Bought a french press. Probably one of the best purchases I've made in a looong time. I don't think I've ever enjoyed coffee black until now.

I thought it was just the decent coffee I had purchased, but I stole some plain jane Folgers from work to test it out and it was pretty good too.

I can't drink the coffee at work from the regular machine anymore. If assholes could be liquefied and turned into a beverage, that's what work coffee tastes like now. I've been running home on lunch breaks to make some and take it in the last couple days =/

E: I've been just rinsing out the carafe and wiping it with a dish cloth after using the thing. I've always been told not to use soap in coffee carafes for whatever reason. Is it fine to use soap or is it a bad idea?

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
You are so fancy compared to us DREAMERS. I grind my own beans but I use an aluminum stove top expresso machine which might not be good but its just what I know .(Its what my great grandparents used when I was a kid). We even make the foam by pouring the first bit of oil thick coffee into equal parts sugar and agitating the hell out of it in a metal cup.

Has anyone that has used or uses the stove top and tried another method that came out "better"? I know for sure the coffee that comes out of every Cuban store in Miami tastes better than my own but they use the big expresso machines.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
To echo what someone else said, using good beans is the biggest factor in making good coffee.StumptownandPortland Roastingare two good options that I know of here in the NW, and likely available elsewhere. Also, the bulletproof coffee mentioned earlier is great in the morning, really nice for fat burning. Kerrygold butter is amazing, I use it pretty much every time I cook. I'm not sure how much the whole mold thing factors in, but I know that I feel pretty sick when I drink coffee from Starbucks, or McDonalds, or other cheap coffee, but not when I drink quality stuff.