College Football 2016-2017 Season

Kellim

Silver Knight of the Realm
Given the fact that Meyer isn't on the Selection Committee, I fail to see why his opinion matters.

Kellim

Nah, it's just a bad argument.

It's not my contention that Ohio State absolutely had to be in the playoff this year (or two years ago), nor is it my contention that they didn't belong last year.

My only real argument is that four teams is always going to lead to lots of saltiness and deserving teams who actually have a legitimate shot at winning will get left out.

Unless manufactured drama is the highest priority, I don't see how anyone can argue that 8 teams wouldn't be vastly superior to the current four.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Nah, it's just a bad argument.

It's not my contention that Ohio State absolutely had to be in the playoff this year (or two years ago), nor is it my contention that they didn't belong last year.

My only real argument is that four teams is always going to lead to lots of saltiness and deserving teams who actually have a legitimate shot at winning will get left out.

Unless manufactured drama is the highest priority, I don't see how anyone can argue that 8 teams wouldn't be vastly superior to the current four.

Salt has nothing to do with it. I don't root for any team involved in the playoffs this year.

There is no good argument for OSU and Washington. It was either Washington and Penn St or OSU and Penn St. You can justify those picks, but there is no justification based on the committee's stated objectives for including OSU and excluding Penn St.

I actually think 6 teams is the best number. 5 power conference champs and the next best runner up. Top 2 seeds get byes to the semis.

Kellim

OSU and Washington lost once, Penn State lost twice. Overall strength of schedule was roughly equal between Washington and Penn State and Ohio State's SoS was much better.

Again, it's not my contention that it's the best argument, but I do think it's as good an argument as any other.

I'd take your 6 team playoff in a heartbeat, but I'd still prefer 8.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its not as good an argument as any other though.

The committee specifically has said in the past (again, 2014 TCU dropped from 3rd to 6th due to their "criteria"? mmkay) that conference championships are weighted heavily and in the case of a tie head-to-head if possible.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
OSU and Washington lost once, Penn State lost twice. Overall strength of schedule was roughly equal between Washington and Penn State and Ohio State's SoS was much better.

Again, it's not my contention that it's the best argument, but I do think it's as good an argument as any other.

I'd take your 6 team playoff in a heartbeat, but I'd still prefer 8.

Penn St beat OSU head to head and won the toughest conference and division this year. Washington won the 4th or 5th best conference with one loss and a fucking atrocious OOC slate. OSU played inconsistently all year, had a great OOC schedule, and didn't even win their division let alone their conference. Penn St should be in merely by virtue of winning the best conference this year. Any combination of teams without Penn St but with another Big 10 team is simply wrong. The decision the committee made is indefensible.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I am 100% a Penn State homer. If Penn State wanted in, they could have beaten Pitt. I do agree that Washington had shit wins though. If you play a FCS team, you should be automatically disqualified from the play offs.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The Penn State/OSU argument ends pretty simply for me - if roles were reversed, and PSU had OSU's SOS, etc and OSU had PSU's and won the B1G, OSU STILL would have gotten in, and everyone and their dog knows that to be true. Fuck the whole system - I don't even like Penn State. In fact, I much prefer OSU as they seem to be the only team in America with the balls to beat the Bammers - but PSU got fucked because they aren't OSU. Or USC. Or Bama etc etc. It has nothing to do with their SOS, or "bad losses", or "eye test" bullshit. Literally nothing. These fuck stains will justify their rankings in any way they see fit, logic be damned. College football is literally the most bankrupt, corrupt, piece of shit sport on planet earth and I can't wait for its implosion.

Also, fuck Gundy

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It is going to be bad for OU and Stoops as well.

I thought he was going to be kicked off the team at the time of the offense; but if Boren, Castiglione, and Stoops all decided to risk keeping him after seeing the video and all indication it was going to be released then it has to be more than just him hauling off and hitting her. If that video shows her physically shoving him or getting in his face and yelling Obama-son then its going to be a circus. Regardless, OU will end up getting shit on and this time it is probably rightfully so.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Probably not, typical Gundy using another school to fuck with Boone. I hope he ends up somewhere like Oregon. Gundy is only the best coach that Okie State can hire if he sticks around - they can hire somebody better, but the minute they start getting offers from bigger schools the new coach will leave. All that said, to sum up my feelings on CFB: Fuck Mike Gundy. Chicken shit.

It's all about Dak and Zeke now boys!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Yup. 8 teams, the conference champs ranked 1-5 with 3 wild cards. And, yes, that means ND is at best a 6 seed unless they join a conference. Fuck the Irish.

The best part of this is that those last 3 spots would really allow the committee to pick some interesting matchups. Take this year, you have Bama, Clemson, Washington, Oklahoma, Penn State. Do you give the 3 wildcards to the Big 10? Do you give Western Michigan a chance?
My picks would be:

1. Bama - 8. Western Michigan
2. Ohio State - 7. USC or WVU
3. Clemson - 6. OU
4. Washington - 5. Penn State

Yes, I know that this leaves out Michigan in favor of a 3 loss USC, anemic WVU, or a MAC champion; but I still think that 3 teams from one division is ludicrous and would pose too many conference rematches.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user