Comic Books

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
House of X #1 - wow, amazing, so much to unpack.

Powers of X #1 - wtf is even going on this is almost too strange or different to enjoy

House of X #2 - Wow! Now I need to re-read Powers of X #1!

Anyone reading this stuff?

tl;dr:

Moria Mctaggart is a mutant, surprise. Her power? Reincarnation. She's had several lives and has seen the different directions mutant kind goes (and her own place in it, with Magneto, Apocalypse, Xavier, etc), and this run of X-Men appears to be a mix of those timelines with the prime reality being her meeting Professor X years earlier than normal - sharing with him everything she's seen and leading us to a modern day Xavier with no fucks to give and establishing a mutant nation with the Krakoa, the island. Krakoa grows plants that serve miracle drug bargaining chips to establish official relations with the countries of the world. One other plant also allows them to establish gateways to/from Krakoa and other areas.

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff, but this has been a doozy already, 3 issues into years of Hickman's run on X-Men.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Just caught up on powers and house of X

X-men fans you need to read this, Hickman is a genius

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hickman has created best Xmen run since Joss Whedon, and he's not even done XMen#1 just got released

and he pairs up with fucking Lenil Yu, marvels best current artist

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I just read them at getcomics.info usually but have picked up the in-store habit for the couple of things I really like (the new X-Stuff mostly)

Chris

Potato del Grande
Anyone else got Cyberfrog: Bloodhoney?

The chromium cover looks amazing but comics arnt really my thing so haven't read it yet.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone else got Cyberfrog: Bloodhoney?

The chromium cover looks amazing but comics arnt really my thing so haven't read it yet.
I did. I like the art because EVS is a legit artist (although sometimes it feels a little too "busy" for me), but I have the feeling I jumped into the middle of an ongoing story that he thinks he summarized well in the first few pages, but in reality didn't do much at all to let me know wtf I'm reading. Which is understandable, since it is my fault that I'm starting an established character/story without reading anything that came before. I just know that there is a ton of back story and events that made these characters act the way they do, but I'm unaware of all of it. If I get motivated I might look for the back issues somewhere (legit or otherwise) because it seems like it could have been very interesting to get to this point. But yeah, if you are just as clueless as me going in, the story might be a little (ok, a lot) confusing to follow.

Since I'm on the subject of crowd-funded books, I recently got into the Lady Death "Coffinverse" kickstarter rabbit hole. I remember buying the first Evil Ernie comic where her origin was, and several early Lady Death comics, so in theory those are probably my most valuable comics (that I had no idea were valuable), but goddamn, this dude knows how to fucking crowd fund! He pretty much starts one the moment the last one ends, so it is kind of a never-ending process where he already has most of it done and ready to go, and it is just a question of how many he needs to print. And they always have a ton of tiers unlocked so you get extra shit if you order a physical copy. This last one was the first one I ever did, and it is almost scary to watch how pro he is at this.

The new one is for Hellwitch, not Lady Death, (same universe though, and the characters intermingle it seems) but check this shit out. Two days and already over $100k!
The last one, for Lady Death, ended at just under $325k! This guy found a fucking money printing machine, it seems. I haven't got my physical copy yet, but I did get the digital download, and all the previous ones, and I can at least give my review of the first couple and say that I love the art, which is always a problem for me with modern comics because so many artists suck actual balls. The stories are decent, given that they are limited to X pages and we're talking about pretty OP characters that are mostly popular because of how hot and bad ass they appear, so character development and plot complexity isn't exactly huge (but few comics really excel in those areas, to be fair). But yeah, the art is great for the most part, and I've always been a fan of Lady Death, so if you're into that sort of thing, check it out. Don't say I didn't warn you though, once you get hooked, you're gonna wonder why you are spending this kind of money on fucking comics!

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Dan Didio out at DC. I guess this makes sense given the number of missteps that have been made on his watch. For decades DC was the mass market superhero company where people knew Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman etc but were unaware of Marvel outside of Spiderman and the Hulk. Now the Guardians of the Galaxy are household names and the whole planet knows the MCU.

Wonder what will happen with the Fifth Generation stuff they were prepping.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Seen at least one report that if the 5G stuff doesn't go well that they may shut down DC comics.

That seems... improbable.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I saw those same reports. Getting rid of DC Comics doesn't mean getting rid of DC properties at all. It can be argued that it might make them stronger by focusing all the creative juices on animated, film, TV, etc. properties instead along with the occasional graphic novel.

Comics have been long considered the farm league where ideas, characters, and stories get workshopped. They aren't the content they once were.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sounds like a viral marketing attempt to make nerds feel like they have to buy 5g

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Anyone got theories on the upcoming “Three Jokers” story?

supposedly has one of the gutsiest moves ever in Bat-canon

my guess is at least one of the Jokers is a figment of Batman’s imagination

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Joker has gay sex with Batman.

DC gotta catch up with the woke and apparently Wolverine and Cyclops are having gay sex on the moon in Marvel.

Hahahaha... Apparently Scott, Jean, and Logan were a throuple? Wtf?!

• 1Picard