Comic Books

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I don't disagree with that at all, nostalgia always puts Age of Apocalypse ahead of everything else for me though.

Outside of that, some of the big events like Fatal Attractions and X-tinction Agenda are up there too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I absolutely love comic overs from the 70-80's. Modern covers are just trash by comparison. Yeah sure many of them are gorgeous but more often than not there's no context at all. It's just an image that has nothing to do with what's happening in the book slapped on to the cover. And don't even get me started on the quality of the art in comic books today.

When I was a kid (early 90's) we'd go over my aunt and uncle's house and he'd let us look through his comic books from the 70s and 80s and the one cover that always caught my eye was X-men #138. At the time I didn't know the story behind it but OH MY GOD EXIT CYCLOPS?! Cyclops quit the X-men!?!?!?! WHAT HAPPENED?!?! ERMERGERD!!!!! Then for my birthday a few months later that year he hands me a box and inside is his copy of #138. I couldn't even. I was shocked to silence. That book had mythical status to me.

For another birthday he ordered the complete Doomsday story line including the black bagged edition of the Death of Superman issue. Again I was stunned into silence. Those days are long gone and I can't imagine getting that excited about any modern comic books.

x-men 138 003.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Even some "newer" stuff was fantastic. DG Chichester's run on Daredevil was amazeballs. I know people go gaga for Frank Miller's run - and rightfully so - but this exemplifies Chichester's writing and was the capstone to Miller's story. Can't rec enough (aka Fall of the Kingpin in TPB):

lastrites.PNG

I know some people like to say that Marvel had the artists and DC had the writers, and while I'll say as a tendency that seems true, Marvel used to have some fantastic writing on different books at different times.

Scott Lobdell was another fantastic writer. And Brandon Peterson really helps make the case for Marvel having the artists.

xmen297.PNG

Anyway, I can go on and on and fangirl quite a bit. There was a good decade and a half where it was great to be a comics fan. But the industry's been dead to me for a while now. I think the Death of Superman was the start, for me. How anyone thought that was legit... I'll just never know. But people did! This happened at the same time that Image was formed and suffered horrible publishing delays, which seriously killed their momentum, while being a huge talent-suck from Marvel, and to some extent even DC. It wasn't long after this that both MTG and girls came into my life and, that was that.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This was my fave of all time. Had a nice collection of them too. dont know WTF happened to them.

28714-3508-31881-1-sergio-aragones-groo.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rime

<Donor>
The Death of Superman was a huge deal if you were a comic-kid when it happened... of course, it was all just a marketing ploy. Really soured the brew, so to speak. The Clone Saga in Spider-Man finally punched me out of comics entirely.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I was pumped for it initially but when it came out I quickly realized it was bad and pointless. Doomsday was so lame. Same thing with Bane and breaking batman, lame event comics that dont really mean anything.

• 1Solidarity

Sterling

El Presidente
Death of Superman at the time being the best selling comic of all time definitely lead DC down the rabbit hole of doing what they did with Batman and Green Lantern. Then add in Marvel doing the multiple variant covers thing and Image in particular doing all the silver/gold/platinum covers and you ended up with a whole industry that became about gimmicks instead of just having good comics. A very similar thing happened with sports cards around that same time.

• 2Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What are people using for comics these days? Since 32pag.es went down I haven't really been reading as much. There are 2 comic shops near me with tons of back catalog, tempting to start buying physical copies again but I don't have the space to keep up with all that anymore.

Goatface

What are people using for comics these days? Since 32pag.es went down I haven't really been reading as much. There are 2 comic shops near me with tons of back catalog, tempting to start buying physical copies again but I don't have the space to keep up with all that anymore.
readcomiconline.li

• 1Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah I support my local shop by keeping a box open and buying X-Men, but I mostly buy hardcovers and read on GetComics.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Claremont's X-Men was definitely the pinnacle of comics for me. However, since that's been universally revered, a couple of others that really captivated me were:

Start of the Beta Ray Bill saga by Walt Simonson
Thor_Vol_1_337[1].jpg

Who doesn't like Judge Dredd?
2188693-01[1].jpg

and the best panel from one of his books
3359298-7882103470-gaze_[1].png

This one was much later, and I know a lot of people probably don't like her character, particularly now that she's with Marvel, but I fucking loved Spawn and Angela, she was probably one of my favorite "non-headlining" characters at the time, and this scene from Issue 100 was brutal. Spoiler alert I guess if you haven't read Spawn and care what happens.
Spawn100to109_1.jpg

Spawn100to109_2.jpg

Spawn100to109_3.jpg
The art wasn't my favorite by a long shot, way too busy for my tastes, but still a pretty brutal moment if you liked both characters together.

• 1Like

OneofOne

Has Valiant been mentioned? They didn't have a ton of books, but they were all good. Great writing, and the art was... it wasn't beautiful, but I really liked it.

I thought the Eternal Warrior Yearbook was well done.
eternalwarrior.PNG

harbinger.PNG

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Has Valiant been mentioned? They didn't have a ton of books, but they were all good. Great writing, and the art was... it wasn't beautiful, but I really liked it.

I thought the Eternal Warrior Yearbook was well done.
View attachment 360323

View attachment 360324
Valiant did some good work. X-O Manowar in particular I really enjoyed.

633601.jpg

One interesting thing was how they revived some old comics from the 50s and 60s. Turok, Solar, and Magnus were all like that.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
If only I had sold that Magnus issue with Turok's first Valiant appearance when it was worth $100+. Now I'd probably get more value out of it by using the issue for toilet paper.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I loved Valiant, easily my favorite super hero comics from the 90s. Barry Windsor Smith is a goddamn artistic genius. Solar was far and away my favorite but I liked most of their titles up until Unity. I even bought Jim Shooters Plasma bullshit after he left the company.

They recently brought back a ton of the series, but they don't have the rights to Turok or Solar or Magnus. The new Rai series they did is amazing work. I just hate how none of them are continuing series, they are all constantly ending and restarting and I hate it.

Sterling

El Presidente
I loved Valiant, easily my favorite super hero comics from the 90s. Barry Windsor Smith is a goddamn artistic genius. Solar was far and away my favorite but I liked most of their titles up until Unity. I even bought Jim Shooters Plasma bullshit after he left the company.

They recently brought back a ton of the series, but they don't have the rights to Turok or Solar or Magnus. The new Rai series they did is amazing work. I just hate how none of them are continuing series, they are all constantly ending and restarting and I hate it.
Like I mentioned earlier those 3 weren't their properties and were just licensed.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, they've tried to replace them in some ways. Savage was kind of like a Turok replacement that they then turned into a farce, which is weird. They really expanded on the Shadowman stuff and that was always cool. But not a cool as Solar.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, they've tried to replace them in some ways. Savage was kind of like a Turok replacement that they then turned into a farce, which is weird. They really expanded on the Shadowman stuff and that was always cool. But not a cool as Solar.
Yeah, I really enjoyed Solar as a take on the S tier power level hero.

OneofOne

Speaking of Shooter, Claremont, and Lee... Just ran across this tonight on Amazon Prime. I realize I'm 3 years late here, but for anyone else that may not have stumbled upon it, it's an interesting behind the scenes look via interviews (mostly with Claremont and his 2 female editors Ann Nocenti and Louise Simonson, but Shooter as well) of his joining to his leaving Marvel. Never really knew why he ended up leaving, but it makes sense in hindsight.