Comic Books

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
nothing really wrong with that story, as stupid as all xmen stories are, the kid basically taps into another dimension and projects destruction, he also seems to have some kind of powerful mind.

he's not trained, he's not a reality shaper like franklin, he's basically just a more powerful scott summers (his eyes summon destructive power for another dimension as well).

and of course original sin sucked, every marvel "event" in the past 5 years has sucked and just ret-conned the next year.

civil war, all heroes fight!, citizens emo talk cap into surrendering... thatsomg cap is shot dead.

naw, we'll throw in some bucky for a year and magic warp him back.

wwhulk, omg hulk, hulks out, shit is about to get real... oh nothing happened, the illuminati are free to do as they please and hulk was so anger, the only person that died was his war buddy.

siege, secret invasion, avx, schism all the xmen messiah shit, just shit.

spoilers for original sin.

we see a building that fury was in blow up, they think chunks of meat is fury corpse... yea right. like anyone cares or is fooled by this shit.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
yeah, lol... "ive seen the stack of blood stew to prove it"

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really enjoyed the first like 70% of Civil War, and like 80% of WWH, but they always fuck the ending=/ Gotta keep the window open to reset everything I guess.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The first act or so of Original Sin really drew me in, I wasn't expecting to like it at all. Then Nick Fury happened.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I started The Stuff of Legend a few days ago and am really enjoying it. Thanks to whoever in this thread recommended it to me.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
That series is seriously good. I love everything about it. The art is perfect, the story is fun, and I enjoy the characters. Especially Shaco, I mean Jester.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah I was trying to describe it to my wife and I said it was a bit like a more mature mash-up between Narnia and Toy Story.

I'm open to more graphic novel suggestions. I should probably do a few of the headliner ones like Sin City and Watchmen.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
imo, if you've watched the movies, there's really no need to pick up those 2, they're pretty much storyboard translations to film.

you can instead focus on other novels.

i don't know any "theme" you want really, so i'll just offer up again, current ones/releasing now

saga
Amazon.com: Saga, Vol. 1 (9781607066019): Brian K. Vaughan, Fiona Staples: Books

you can get up to volume3 and finish the arc, it's pretty great

Amazon.com: East of West Volume 1: The Promise TP (9781607067702): Jonathan Hickman, Nick Dragotta: Books
east of west

for some it might be a difficult read, b/c hickman is creating a rich world. hell these are one of the few comics i've had to re-read 3x just to absorb it. one issue has like 5 issues worth of info. however, there is no arc, so it's pretty much on-going.

i mean if you want to go the in-animate not really human route,
we3
WE3: Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely: 9781401243029: Amazon.com: Books
i don't have my copy anymore cuz a girl read it and took it and kept on re-reading it. i'm pretty sure she cried, i'm secure enough to say there were a few feels, here and there.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watchmen isnota Storyboard translation. There's plenty of detail and shit missing in the movie. I really liked the movie more than a lot of the comic fans, but there's a lot different. Plus of course the whole corpse boat thing is not there.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
imo, it's enough, if you saw zach synders watchmen you don't have to read alan moores watchmen. move on to new things.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The book has FAR more to offer than the movie. There's some really good internal monologues, conversations, and additional materials that imo make the book worth the purchase. I'm biased as it's my favorite book, so /shrug Personally couldn't give two shits about the Black Freighter side story, as it's just a TL;DR of the main story. I never understood it's (apparently) large appeal.

The Dark Knight is another good trade paperback worth getting.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But ONLY The Dark Knight. Stay the fuck away from the follow up, The Dark Knight Returns. It's still Frank Miller, but he was getting all experimental and it turned pretty bad as far as I remember. Though it's been a few years since I read it so maybe I'm due for a 2nd run at it.

Same goes forKingdom Come, read it and bask in the beautiful art. Stay the fuck away from the follow up cash in bullshit. It's not the same people and it's just poop.

V for Vendettais a classic. Worth the read even though it does kind of drag at times.

Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.Warren Ellis and Stuart Immomen take a bunch of 3rd tier(or lower) Marvel characters, puts them together, add a flat out bonkers storyline and some new characters, and they make one the funniest and most entertaining comics ever.

If you like Kingdom Come's art tryMarvels. Alex Ross does the origin of the Marvel Universe, told from the perspective of an up and coming cup photographer/reporter as he gets older in the Silver/Modern age of Marvel. Witnesses the rise of the Fantastic Four, Mutants, all that shit. Gorgeous comic, though I've always thought Ross' art looks better on DC characters.

Nice 2 page spread with Cap

Daredevil: Yellowis one I need to read. Just never been a huge Daredevil fan. Shame, there's some runs on that comic that are legendary. I mention this specifically because Jeph Loeb also didSpider-Man: Blue. It's kind of the Spider-Man version of Dark Knight. Peter Parker is old, the world is kind of dystopian and a police state. Peter decides it's time for Spidey to make a difference again. It doesn't seem to get much hype but I absolutely loved it.

Speaking of Watchmen and V for Vendetta, I think Alan Moore's best work my be the relaunch ofMiracleman/Marvelman. Not sure what kind of collections there are for that, but the first 16 issues he did were absolutely amazing. I believe Marvel bought the rights to it and are currently putting out nice hardcover editions. That's probably the best way to buy it. The Neil Gaimen issues(17-22) are good, but it's just not the same. He's playing in someone else's world. He does a good job of it and expands the world/universe and they're worth reading, but Moore built the world and he did it best.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
If you want a much lighter story at some point to rinse your palate I highly recommended any of the Herobear and the Kid trades. Everything about the books exude fun. The art it outstanding. The story is whimsical. Don't be surprised if it hits you in the feels a few times. I gave a copy to my brother to read to his 3 year old son and he LOVES it.

Another fun but much more mature book would be Boneyard. It's about a guy that inherits his grandfathers cemetery. It just so happens to be home to Wolf Man, ego maniacal gargoyle demon thing, a frankenstein monster and his slutty sea monster wife, and a female vampire as the love interest. Should be able to find the trades somewhere.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Watchmen isnota Storyboard translation. There's plenty of detail and shit missing in the movie. I really liked the movie more than a lot of the comic fans, but there's a lot different. Plus of course the whole corpse boat thing is not there.
The extended whatever cut of the movie has almost everything including the corpse boat and it's fuckinglong.At that point I'd rather just watch the motion comic.

I fucking love the motion comic.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah I had no idea it was That Guy until after the vid and I noticed the name. I love that video so much. The whole thing is retarded.