Computer Chairs

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
I recently picked up a used Steelcase Leap for $20 at my local university's reuse store. This chair is $800 dollars new, and the only thing wrong with it is one of the adjustment knobs is missing its cover (but works just fine). Combined with an adjustable height table I just bought, this chair is great. Honestly, it's not super "comfortable," but it puts me an an ergonomic position comfortably enough to sit there for extended periods. I can actually sit/type without hunching forward now. I also notice I'm more focused when working and my knee is hurting less from sitting. Definitely check out ebay to see if people are selling with local pickup in your area. Last I checked they were available for around $60 in some cities.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
If you work from home you can claim the price of the chair on your taxes, just keep the receipt.
Just hope you don't get audited cause if they audit you and find out you are claiming shit as business expense when you also use it for personal use they won't be happy. If you work from home every day and maintain a full home office you are prolly ok though even if you technically shouldnt claim the whole thing if its not a work only chair.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just hope you don't get audited cause if they audit you and find out you are claiming shit as business expense when you also use it for personal use they won't be happy. If you work from home every day and maintain a full home office you are prolly ok though even if you technically shouldnt claim the whole thing if its not a work only chair.
Hah. Not to derail but that dinged me when I got audited a bout 6 or 7 years ago. I'm self employed, and got a little deduction happy with all the office/computer equipment I bought. They wouldn't let me deduct 100% of it(I think between my desk, chair, and the gaming PC that I built I tried to write off about $4000 in office expenses). They balked at the $2500 worth of parts for the PC that it was for work use only. Bastards...

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You guys are real assholes ya know that? I come in here hoping to see some good reviews on reasonably priced, functional, sturdy office chairs and I get this $600 "Oh I can't live without it" nonsense. Why should a chair ever cost $600? Answer, it shouldn't.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I agree. I need a good computer chair that a cat can't sit on top of the back and scratch the fuck out it(ie: the back needs to be thin enough to prevent a cat from hanging out on it). Suggestions?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You guys are real assholes ya know that? I come in here hoping to see some good reviews on reasonably priced, functional, sturdy office chairs and I get this $600 "Oh I can't live without it" nonsense. Why should a chair ever cost $600? Answer, it shouldn't.
The only piece of furniture in my home that I spend more time on/in is my bed. It's worth it to splurge on a good chair when you're sitting in it for like 2-6 hours a day, depending on the day. A good computer chair is more important to me than a couch.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Aeron chairs also come with a 12 year warranty. Think of how many cheap office chairs you've had to replace because they just fell apart, then compare that cost over time to an Aeron.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
in many asian countries (developed) they sleep on the floor with like a big comforter, this is considered middle class. Fuck that, i purposely slept on my couch today, which is a nice 1k couch, but i knew i'd only get 3hours of sleep (i had work to do) b/c it wasn't comfortable as compared to my space age memory foam bed where i wake up feeling all relaxed.

The same can be said of an office/home computer chair, if you spend more than 4 hours at it a day, thats at least 20hours you're sitting on crap.

that's enough time to fuck up you're back and spine, of which you only have one of, which leads to bad posture, which leads often leads to carpal tunnel. If you're whole back is fucked, i'm sure your also then typing on a shitty as mac glow in the dark keyboard using a fucking hockey puck for a mouse.

And b/c i used to be a retail salesman for 10-12hours a day, i say fuck you to standing desks, that is the dumbest shit ever invented by retards who got tired of sitting on dumbass bouncy balls that belong in the fucking gym. (walking treadmills i can get behind)

A basic staples office chair costs 60 to 150bucks, a really good researched ergo chair will probably start at 250ish now, i bought my ergo chair over 8? years ago and just recently had to only replace the wheels so money well spent.

Khane

Aeron chairs also come with a 12 year warranty. Think of how many cheap office chairs you've had to replace because they just fell apart, then compare that cost over time to an Aeron.
The most expensive chair I've bought, ever, was like $150 bucks. You know how many chairs I've had to replace in the last 12 years? 2. Looks like I'm coming out ahead on this deal.

Khane

A basic staples office chair costs 60 to 150bucks, a really good researched ergo chair will probably start at 250ish now, i bought my ergo chair over 8? years ago and just recently had to only replace the wheels so money well spent.
You're proving my point here. $250 for a great chair is reasonable, and it's lasted you 8 years. $600 and you're just paying for the name and the look of the damn thing and not getting anything else for that money. $600 and it's not even heated and has no massage functionality. No thanks.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well i didn't say my chair was 250, just said a good researched ergo chair would be 250, mine is an ergo human chair, pretty sure it was just under $600 and has been the longest lasting computing investment

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You're proving my point here. $250 for a great chair is reasonable, and it's lasted you 8 years. $600 and you're just paying for the name and the look of the damn thing and not getting anything else for that money. $600 and it's not even heated and has no massage functionality. No thanks.
Craigslist man. I bought my Herman Miller Aeron chair for $300(and it's even the "C" model with the bigger wheels and weight limit for fatties), and it was still brand new in the packaging. It'll probably last 10+ years and its easily the most comfortable chair I've ever owned. It's also a semi-soft mesh, so it stays cool but is still comfy, its not all hard and rigid.

Khane

If these chairs are so good why are they on craigslist? Stolen goods!!! I will not propagate this thievery!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I bought a computer chair from Costco after I graduated college 6 years ago and you'd think the thing is brand new

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I just reconstructed half of the armrest of my chair entirely out of extra-wide gorilla tape.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Still really love the chair I posted earlier, but one thing I want to look for are replacement arms that have a more cushioned padding. Currently it is a harder rubber and after extended periods of sitting my elbows start to feel bruised. Maybe they're the wrong height and it is a simple adjustment, still uncomfortable.

Khane

The real dilemma I face is I want to buy this from a retailer that is considered "Office Supplies".

I have a credit card that gives 5x points for purchases at office supply stores and that same credit card gives me a 1% discount and an extra 2 points for a total of 7x points if I buy it at Staples. A dilemma indeed.