Computer Issues

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It must be monitor or cord.
I'll buy supplies tomorrow or Wednesday and try again.

It wouldn't be the cord. If it is the monitor, then it's because it has usb ports/pass through and something is fucked with it. There is no conceivable way that it's the cord or the monitor if it doesn't have USB. At which point I'm serious about getting some in-person tech help because either you're doing something very weird or you're omitting something from what you've said on here about it.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
It wouldn't be the cord. If it is the monitor, then it's because it has usb ports/pass through and something is fucked with it. There is no conceivable way that it's the cord or the monitor if it doesn't have USB. At which point I'm serious about getting some in-person tech help because either you're doing something very weird or you're omitting something from what you've said on here about it.
Monitor is a cheap AOC monitor that uses the typical blue 15 prong cord.

I think I said this, but I switched the Logitech mouse for the cheap stock hp mouse, leaving the only common denominator as the monitor (and desk I guess)

And if I'm leaving any information out, it isn't intentional because this ordeal has been majorly inconvenient.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Monitor is a cheap AOC monitor that uses the typical blue 15 prong cord.

I think I said this, but I switched the Logitech mouse for the cheap stock hp mouse, leaving the only common denominator as the monitor (and desk I guess)

Sorry dude, I have no more ideas. I'd pony up for a tech guy at this point and a good bottle of tylenol to fix the headache that will come from a hard facepalm when they point out the obvious cause that didn't seem so obvious.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
With only the monitor and user being the only components that haven't been replaced, this is pretty bizarre.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Just to refresh, we tried this with only the keyboard and monitor plugged in? Just to be sure there isn't any wonky interactions going on with usb stuff, and no usb hubs?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Set my new pc up last night, seemed to be working. Tried to play black ops 4 today and whole pc froze 3 times then wouldnt boot to windows any more. Ended up having to reinstall windows, still shows all the stuff i put on ssd before the reinstall/recovery. Can i get that stuff back again or do i need to delete it all and redownload?

Also no idea what caused the crashing/freeze to begin with, and my cpu voltage went feom 1.3 to 1.48 on its own during this process

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Also no idea what caused the crashing/freeze to begin with, and my cpu voltage went feom 1.3 to 1.48 on its own during this process

LLC will cause fluctuations with your voltages, but it really shouldn't be that high unless you have really awesome cooling. Are you using auto-OC settings? Google how to OC your CPU/Motherboard and you'll find guides on how to do it manually so you can set reasonable voltages.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
LLC will cause fluctuations with your voltages, but it really shouldn't be that high unless you have really awesome cooling. Are you using auto-OC settings? Google how to OC your CPU/Motherboard and you'll find guides on how to do it manually so you can set reasonable voltages.

Yea didnt oc it just gameboost and xmp. It was 4.05ghz and 1.3xV last night then today i went into bios after it started crashing in CoD and it was 4.1 at 1
45+V. I thought xmp mightve been the crash cause but it did it even while off.

Originally assumed ram issue since it stopped syncing rgb on first crash but everything else stayed in sync.

Ill mess with it after work, mostly want to know if i can save the 80gb of games i downloaded.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yea didnt oc it just gameboost and xmp. It was 4.05ghz and 1.3xV last night then today i went into bios after it started crashing in CoD and it was 4.1 at 1
45+V. I thought xmp mightve been the crash cause but it did it even while off.

Originally assumed ram issue since it stopped syncing rgb on first crash but everything else stayed in sync.

Ill mess with it after work, mostly want to know if i can save the 80gb of games i downloaded.

If the files are still there, you can probably just use the blizzard launcher to verify the files after pointing it to them. Not sure if non blizzard games work like that though

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Alright, am i able to just redo pathing for drivers and my wifi software etc. too? I guess CoD is the only one that really matters tho at 64gb

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Not worth the risk with potential data corruption. Just reinstall. The cod4 files will be verified so it won't be at risk

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
K one last question. Should i run some of the stress tests and benchmarks for my different components and see if it dies again before i try games again? It worked fine playing PoE for a bit and watching youtube etc., didnt act up til CoD

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I wouldn't be using the system at all if it's running voltages that high, let alone stress testing it.

Also, keep in mind that stress tests aren't that good for determining if average usage will crash your system, just that it can hold up to the extremes. I'd go through the step-by-step manual OC routine and just stress test as needed while doing that

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Voltage is back to reading 1.3v as of when i left for work. I guess i can try without gameboost (generic msi overclock thing it came with) and seee if it works and if so ill try manual OC at lower voltage. Temps never went above 60c for cpu or dram and 50c for the other 2. Didnt have msi afterburner to check gpu stuff.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Voltage is back to reading 1.3v as of when i left for work. I guess i can try without gameboost (generic msi overclock thing it came with) and seee if it works and if so ill try manual OC at lower voltage. Temps never went above 60c for cpu or dram and 50c for the other 2. Didnt have msi afterburner to check gpu stuff.

Auto overclocking is garbage and should be avoided. The only way it can function is by dumping excessive power into the CPU to avoid it being unstable. This not only results in excessive power consumption (not really a big deal) and temps, but contributes to stress on the hardware which can reduce lifespan and potentially open you up to future problems.

If you're not willing to put the effort into getting a good manual OC, I'd suggest just going stock for a while and see if that works out until you find the interest, and an afternoon to do the initial dialing-in.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just to refresh, we tried this with only the keyboard and monitor plugged in? Just to be sure there isn't any wonky interactions going on with usb stuff, and no usb hubs?
Pictured is the issue recreated. On a completely new computer. Keyboard. Hdmi cable. And tv.
20181030_212226.jpg

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If all components have been replaced and it's happening before Windows ever has a chance to sync settings or something, then the only possible cause could be you, the user. Are you re-using anything at all from the previous setup? This includes hard drives, ram, anything.

Edit: Also, are you using the same installation media for Windows? Could be a faulty driver on it, or be caused by the USB drive itself

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Auto overclocking is garbage and should be avoided. The only way it can function is by dumping excessive power into the CPU to avoid it being unstable. This not only results in excessive power consumption (not really a big deal) and temps, but contributes to stress on the hardware which can reduce lifespan and potentially open you up to future problems.

If you're not willing to put the effort into getting a good manual OC, I'd suggest just going stock for a while and see if that works out until you find the interest, and an afternoon to do the initial dialing-in.

Im not averse to manual OC i just read mixed reviews about overclocking ryzens vs using the auto one. Assuming it works with no OC ill do it manual which hopefully i can test tonight if my blops dl is saveable.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Well now I can't even install the GeForce drivers, I get a black screen at about 5% and have to restart 4 times til I can go to safemode and roll them back.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Brought rig to work. Doesn't have problem. It's the internet (wired and wireless)
Edit: or router

So next plan is come home from work, unplug router, boot everything else up, observe, boot up router, observe.

Last edited:
  • 1WTF