Computer Issues

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Brought rig to work. Doesn't have problem. It's the internet (wired and wireless)
Edit: or router

So next plan is come home from work, unplug router, boot everything else up, observe, boot up router, observe.
nah, your house is haunted, stop by the grocery store and pick up some sage and rosemary

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Ok, tried a few times last night to get it working, no luck. Fresh windows install, remount gpu, switched one of the vga power supply connections, still freeze on black screen when trying to install drivers for gpu.

Moved gpu to second pci-e slot today, it doesn't freeze on black screen now, graphics get funky for a second then it finished driver update but I get windows error code 43 and it disables it. I don't have a bunch of extra parts that I can play flip-flop with to try and figure out which part is bad if one is, only thing I might be able to do is try and pull the gtx 680 (maybe ti don't remember) from my old pc and see if that one works...

Really not looking forward to having to deal with trying to RMA something especially since I've heard newegg are dicks about it these days.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Resetting your bios to default settings should be tried before diving too deep into the troubleshooting, if you haven't already. I'd think it would just be a bad GPU if it wasn't for those voltages you were seeing.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Brought rig to work. Doesn't have problem. It's the internet (wired and wireless)
Edit: or router

So next plan is come home from work, unplug router, boot everything else up, observe, boot up router, observe.

Why did you bring your computer to your TV to test, and still connect ethernet

Also this is why you unplug literally everything else in odd situations like this. Gotta narrow it down

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Resetting your bios to default settings should be tried before diving too deep into the troubleshooting, if you haven't already. I'd think it would just be a bad GPU if it wasn't for those voltages you were seeing.

I think its bad gpu mobo or psupply, everything i see online says r5 2600x is fine up to 1.5v so i dont think that caused the issues.

Probably the gpu since 750w should be enough for my system

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ok, tried a few times last night to get it working, no luck. Fresh windows install, remount gpu, switched one of the vga power supply connections, still freeze on black screen when trying to install drivers for gpu.

Moved gpu to second pci-e slot today, it doesn't freeze on black screen now, graphics get funky for a second then it finished driver update but I get windows error code 43 and it disables it. I don't have a bunch of extra parts that I can play flip-flop with to try and figure out which part is bad if one is, only thing I might be able to do is try and pull the gtx 680 (maybe ti don't remember) from my old pc and see if that one works...

Really not looking forward to having to deal with trying to RMA something especially since I've heard newegg are dicks about it these days.
what? you're still dealing w/ this issue? that mobo is fucked if you gotta play musical slots.

Argarth

On the verandah
I think its bad gpu mobo or psupply, everything i see online says r5 2600x is fine up to 1.5v so i dont think that caused the issues.

Probably the gpu since 750w should be enough for my system

Like @Dom said, until you reset your BIOS to defaults, (and make sure that MSI "gameboost" is disabled and never touch that shit again) you have no baseline to deduce anything from.

I have a Ryzen CPU (2700x) as well, and I don't know what you've been reading, but 1.5Volts is stupid.

I overclock using AMD Ryzenmaster, and only bother when gaming to make sure all cores are constantly at 4.1 Ghz. With good cooling, it runs absolutely stable with just 1.3 volts.

Ryzen CPUs are not great overclockers, and AMDs own Precision Boost 2 (part of the CPU/chipset features, toggled in the BIOS) will take care of it by default, and will have the CPU running at around ~ 4Ghz most of the time anyway, with no input from the user. **edit: yours might be different, not sure about typical PB2 clocks for r5.

But first, you have to establish a working baseline for troubleshooting. I wouldn't even bother with XMP profiles yet. Did you build it yourself? IF so was the memory on the validated list for your motherboard? Also turn on CSM support (at least while testing) in the BIOS if it isn't already on by default.

Good luck!

Last edited:

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I think the pb2 is what the bios is calling gameboost. It is on bios and does base clock + 450 mhz. How do i get back to stock bios from the one i flashed on, and would bios really stop gpu from working now if it worked before my cod crashes?

I can try tweaking stuff with ryzenmaster to drop voltage i guess.

Should i try this before i try my gtx680?
Edit: ram is gskill trident z 3200.

Last edited:

Argarth

On the verandah
I think the pb2 is what the bios is calling gameboost. It is on bios and does base clock + 450 mhz. How do i get back to stock bios from the one i flashed on, and would bios really stop gpu from working now if it worked before my cod crashes?

"Gameboost" is an MSI motherboard feature, disable it and ignore it forever, please!

AMD PB2 does not set a specific clock or voltage, it dynamically changes them based on user workload, temps etc, and will likely be turned on by default when you reset the BIOS to defaults. It's AMD technology embedded in the CPU. Don't worry about it. First you need to get back to defaults, and that is in the BIOS menu for every motherboard. I'm not talking about re-flashing the bios at all.

No way of knowing what will happen next until you start with the basics, including what happened with your GPU. Forget Ryzenmaster for now.

There have been "a couple" of reports about problems with NVIDIA drivers installing/weird error codes/crashes with particular motherboards/ufei bios/nvidia bios. That was the reason I asked you to turn on CSM support for now or leave it on if it's already on. It provides legacy support for problems associated with UFEI restrictions. Don't worry just turn it on.

edit: model number of your motherboard please. =)
edit: exact part number of your ram also please. It will probably look something like "F4-3200C16D-16GTZB" How many sticks? 8G/16G?
edit: what video card do you have, and what driver are you trying to use? do you know how to do a clean driver install with DDU?

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

Reset the settings, not the bios version. Look for profile settings etc... and there should be an option to reset to defaults

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Last night I reset board to default optimize, gameboost etc. is off. I just finished trying a couple clean installs with DDU and not being connected to the internet etc., still getting "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" in device status after (tried express install and custom install with only gpu driver). I moved the card back to my top slot (runs at x16, apparently my 2nd slot runs at x8 according to my bios hardware info thing) and it's not perma-freezing at black screen any more, just going back to the code 43 stuff.

Motherboard: MSI x470 gaming pro carbon (or do you need something else for this)?
Video card: MSI GeForce rtx 2070 gaming z
Driver: GeForce game ready driver - WHQL 416.34 (the only one that I can find for rtx 2070 cards)
Ram: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZR

Bios still has vcore at 1.4 to 1.45v and dram at 1.25ish (didn't pay attention to this one much) after going back to defaults. Maybe this is because my mobo has 2 cpu power slots and I have both connected?

Argarth

On the verandah
Last night I reset board to default optimize, gameboost etc. is off. I just finished trying a couple clean installs with DDU and not being connected to the internet etc., still getting "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" in device status after (tried express install and custom install with only gpu driver). I moved the card back to my top slot (runs at x16, apparently my 2nd slot runs at x8 according to my bios hardware info thing) and it's not perma-freezing at black screen any more, just going back to the code 43 stuff.

Motherboard: MSI x470 gaming pro carbon (or do you need something else for this)?
Video card: MSI GeForce rtx 2070 gaming z
Driver: GeForce game ready driver - WHQL 416.34 (the only one that I can find for rtx 2070 cards)
Ram: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZR

Bios still has vcore at 1.4 to 1.45v and dram at 1.25ish (didn't pay attention to this one much) after going back to defaults. Maybe this is because my mobo has 2 cpu power slots and I have both connected?

Great, first win now that the black screen is gone. =)

Can you please check that your BIOS is set to look by default for the GPU card in the correct slot (top now?). I see you have SLI; what are your BIOS options for SLI support?
Also is CSM support turned on? (it's on the "miscellaneous" page in my BIOS, ymmv)
Can you please install HWINFOx64 and verify the voltages like this:
1541042103263.png

Still seems too high for some reason. DRAM looks fine. Also check here in HWINFO:

1541042564900.png

EDIT: Code 43 is a weird one.
Can you do another DDU safe mode clean, but this time stay connected to the internet so it tries to install the Windows Update version on re-boot, just as a test that's all.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Certainly seems that it's a hardware fault (GPU, mobo, memory, CPU in that order of possibility.) but try one of the older GPU drivers and do an overnight memtest86 as part of the troubleshooting. Next steps would be trying swapping out hardware and w/e Argarth advises

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I don't see any options to find older rtx 2070 drivers anywhere I look (super new card, does it even have older drivers?).

HWinfo is showing my voltages bouncing around between 0.4v min and 1.5v max, changes on each core every few seconds. Clocks are ranging from 2766-4249mhz. Will reboot real quick and check bios for CSM thing.

Also apparently i'm booting windows in UEFI, dunno if that has any impact on anything? My bios has some option for windows 10 whql support, dunno if I should turn that on?

Just checked bios, nothing named CSM when I do a search for it. Will do another DDU run now.

Last edited:

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Argarth Argarth just ran DDU in safe mode and then restarted while connected, a minute or two later (as I pulled this thread up) I got black screen/weird lines like when I try to install the driver and it's showing error 43 in device manager (still lists the 2070 tho, for a while yesterday and today it would show up as "Microsoft generic display adapter" or w/e in the device manager. I didn't try to rerun my GeForce driver download so i'm assuming it was from the windows update.

@Dom oh yeah looking through that list they do seem to have support for rtx cards, couldn't find any old drivers like that on nvidia or GeForce driver sections when I searched their sites, just the 416.34 ones.

Argarth

On the verandah
OK, the wildly bouncing values are just a symptom of AMD "cool-n-quiet" feature, designed to save power when idling. Can safely turn that off in BIOS (you are a gamer =)) and then things will settle down to much more consistent values. Can you try that and report back please re clocks and voltages.

Booting in UEFI mode is normal for a completely new system, it's the default modern hardware mode.

Not sure what - "My bios has some option for windows 10 whql support.." is sorry, weird. I would leave it alone if it was off by default, as it may somehow exclude "non-whql" support and we don't want to introduce another variable at this stage.

Starting to sound a little like a hardware failure, but let's hope not for now.

Does device manager still show an error 43 if you block the internet again > DDU > only let the generic display adapter install?

Can you run "sfc /scannow" from an admin command prompt, to check that your windows installation was not corrupted by your earlier crashes.

If all that turns up empty can you try your other graphics card?

wormie wormie The Ram is not verified for his CPU/MB combo but aside from the new RGB features (probably why) almost identical sticks were validated for even the older Ryzens.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
If it’s amd cpu, it’s a ram issue 90% of the time.

It is AMD and it worked fine the first night I set it up (played path of exile for 10 mins or so, watched youtube etc.) and the next morning. Then I decided to use the board xmp setting to run the ram at 3200 (since it runs at 2133 by default and I read it was fine to do), loaded up black ops 4, crashed during the videos, crashed again, went to 2933 on the xmp setting, crashed again, went back to 2133 and crashed again which is when my windows got all messed up and been having the display adapter issues since then.

It wasn't showing error code or anything the past couple days while I was doing safemode to rollback drivers while having the blackscreen issues (and wasn't listing the 2070 in device manager). I did multiple fresh installs of windows in the past few days (deleting all partitions/etc. on harddrive so it was reading 465/465gb available when I did the install) so i'm assuming it can't be corrupt windows files? Will run scan anyways.

If it makes a difference, the first time my pc crashed when I loaded up CoD I heard like 5ish weird beeps (i'm assuming it was system sounds) in the background of the CoD audio, a few seconds before everything froze up. I saw a post online saying to try installing drivers with one stick of ram at a time, should I give that a try before swapping to the 680?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
The rgb on the ram went back to stock colors on all the crashes originally too, while all other rgb stayed synced through software so maybe that means the ram is more likely the problem?