Computer Issues

Argarth

On the verandah
zombiewizardhawk zombiewizardhawk It COULD be a ram issue, but having the PC crash a few times shouldn't destroy any hardware, and shouldn't stop your GPU from working, especially after you have reset everything to it's previous state when it was working before.

However, strictly speaking, your Ram is not validated for your setup. What speed is the Ram running at now by the way?

edit: did you pick out the ram yourself, or was it recommended to you?
edit: the beeps are pretty normal. I've heard them many times in the past when overclocking, playing around with timings etc.
edit: trying running the PC with just one stick of 8GB, and then the other stick, again, by itself.

Last edited:

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Ddr 2133 (1066) according to bios. Am running a windows memory diagnostic. Will turn off cool n quiet after it finishes and check voltage.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I picked everything out myself, I threw it all on pcpartpicker (although I didn't specify the exact ram just tridentz 3200 rgb) and the only compatibility error it showed was about interference between sata and m.2 or something but i'm not using any of my sata plugs anyways, just the 970 evo m.2.

Windows memory diagnostic showed no errors.

Turning off cool n quiet in bios my voltage still bounces between .4 and 1.5, maybe I need to turn performance boost from auto to on (might just end up permanent 1.4-1.5v that way?)

Argarth

On the verandah
Ddr 2133 (1066) according to bios. Am running a windows memory diagnostic. Will turn off cool n quiet after it finishes and check voltage.

Ok great, and yes, definitely try to get the NV drivers to install on your 2070 with just a single ram stick (still leave xmp alone) before the next step.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
K will try the one stick of ram now. Should I use slot 2 (right now they're in 2/4 unless i'm retarded and used 1/3)?

Edit: Do I need to safe mode and DDU before I load up with 1 stick?

Edit 2: Now that hwinfo has run for a bit it's pretty steady at 1.41v or so with very small bounces to like 1.39v so maybe the .4 after cool n quiet was it just getting going. GPU is reading 60c in hwinfo if that matters.

Argarth

On the verandah
I picked everything out myself, I threw it all on pcpartpicker (although I didn't specify the exact ram just tridentz 3200 rgb) and the only compatibility error it showed was about interference between sata and m.2 or something but i'm not using any of my sata plugs anyways, just the 970 evo m.2.

Windows memory diagnostic showed no errors.

Turning off cool n quiet in bios my voltage still bounces between .4 and 1.5, maybe I need to turn performance boost from auto to on (might just end up permanent 1.4-1.5v that way?)

Weird, and i think I know why, but leave that for now.

edit: may be unrelated, but the older versions of BIOS on my motherboard refused to allow me to turn off "Cool and Quiet". Was fixed in the latest version. Shouldn't really matter though as the average user will never know what the CPU is doing. I really wanted to see what the clock/volt values settled to after you turned it off.

Last edited:

Argarth

On the verandah
K will try the one stick of ram now. Should I use slot 2 (right now they're in 2/4 unless i'm retarded and used 1/3)?

Edit: Do I need to safe mode and DDU before I load up with 1 stick?

2 slots should normally use 1 and 3. So single slot would be 1. I would have to check your MB documentation to be sure

edit: what BIOS version do you have?

The latest for your MB is:
1541048383602.png

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Windows memory test for such a short amount of time isn't sufficient to fully verify the ram. Get memtest86 (not the + one) slap it on a USB and run it overnight when you go to bed. Check to see if any errors cropped up when you wake up.

Argarth

On the verandah
Windows memory test for such a short amount of time isn't sufficient to fully verify the ram. Get memtest86 (not the + one) slap it on a USB and run it overnight when you go to bed. Check to see if any errors cropped up when you wake up.

Of course you are right.

Hopefully he'll be able to get the drivers to install at the very least. Even then, having to run Ram at such a slow speed is just not on at the end of the day, if it comes to that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Will check now, just finished both single-stick attempts. Didn't try GeForce drivers on them, just did DDU + shutdown then let windows try to update display driver after boot. Both had same result, error 43. Right when pc loads and it still shows the Microsoft display adapter thing there is no error 43, only when it switches to rtx 2070 and tries to do drivers.

I do notice on the sticker on the ram sticks now it says "8gbx2 intel xmp 2.0 ready".

Edit: DIMM voltage under the mobo sensors is reading 1.216

I'll get memtest86 set up before I go to bed tonight if I need to, still a couple hours for that tho.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's entirely possible that Windows trying to install drivers for you is fucking things up. I'd suggest trying to disable driver updates through Windows update at some point if you keep having driver install issues so that WIndows just uses the generic display driver instead of trying to install Nvidia specific ones, which has been known to cause problems over the years

Also, that sticker info doesn't matter. Memory isn't specific to AMD or Intel. All that matters is if the motherboard manufacturers have it on their approved lists which means it's verified to work on that motherboard

Argarth

On the verandah
Will check now, just finished both single-stick attempts. Didn't try GeForce drivers on them, just did DDU + shutdown then let windows try to update display driver after boot. Both had same result, error 43. Right when pc loads and it still shows the Microsoft display adapter thing there is no error 43, only when it switches to rtx 2070 and tries to do drivers.

I do notice on the sticker on the ram sticks now it says "8gbx2 intel xmp 2.0 ready".

Edit: DIMM voltage under the mobo sensors is reading 1.216

I'll get memtest86 set up before I go to bed tonight if I need to, still a couple hours for that tho.

That does not sound right. Just checked and every stick of 3200 GSkill Ram on your MB documentation is running at 1.35volts, just like my Corsair Ram. Hmmm

1541050335627.png

EDIT: And the BIOS version you are running?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I tried installing the GeForce drivers while having my wifi disconnected a few times earlier, it resulted in the same error 43 I get when windows tries to update the display driver.

Argarth

On the verandah
I tried installing the GeForce drivers while having my wifi disconnected a few times earlier, it resulted in the same error 43 I get when windows tries to update the display driver.

Yeah, the windows update thing was just a test. I think we need to get to the bottom on the RAM voltage question. Can you please check your MB and see if you are able to change just the voltage to 1.35volts.
p.s. If you are feeling really adventurous, you could try your old GFX card to see if that installs correctly.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
BIOS is version 2.3 (7B78v23 on msi support for the mobo).

Edit: Looking at ram in the summary tab on hwinfo it's showing 1.2v for all the speeds except for the 1600 16-18-18-38-56 xmp which it's showing at 1.35v but my ram is running at 1066 15-15-15-36-51.