Computer Issues

Argarth

On the verandah
So you think it's worth changing that setting in the bios and trying the 2070 again? I'm not gonna be able to ship anything out til Saturday or Monday anyways so I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Well I would, only because it can't hurt, and it's really the last remaining thing that hasn't been tried yet. It may do nothing for you at all, but it has resolved some hard BSODs, driver install failures, and other fatal errors for some folks recently. Not many, but if it was me I just wouldn't be able to leave that last stone unturned, so to speak, heh.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yea for sure, ill try it after work tonight. Should i run ddu before i swap the cards too?
Assuming it doesnt work, should i rma to newegg or msi?

Argarth

On the verandah
Yea for sure, ill try it after work tonight. Should i run ddu before i swap the cards too?
Assuming it doesnt work, should i rma to newegg or msi?

No need to run DDU for now, since the first hurdle is getting the 2070 to boot without the hard error #43.

If it fails again, you can just swap the other card in and you should be back up and running. Sorry, can't help you with the RMA, I've never had to do one, touch wood!

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why did you bring your computer to your TV to test, and still connect ethernet

Also this is why you unplug literally everything else in odd situations like this. Gotta narrow it down
First I thought it was keyboard. Changed that.
Then I thought logitech mouse. Changed that.
Only thing left was monitor, also some were saying hdmi vs. whatever the basic blue one is called have a difference.
With the tv test, I didn't connect wired internet, but it automatically went wireless.
Best guess is tunnel vision as to why I didn't think to unplug the router.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I would think maybe some sort of bad driver to a wi-fi adapter, but he said it was replaced, so it could only be the router itself which makes absolutely no sense at all.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Well I would, only because it can't hurt, and it's really the last remaining thing that hasn't been tried yet. It may do nothing for you at all, but it has resolved some hard BSODs, driver install failures, and other fatal errors for some folks recently. Not many, but if it was me I just wouldn't be able to leave that last stone unturned, so to speak, heh.

Yeah tried the 2070 again this morning (UEFI + legacy was already turned on in bios), still error 43. Gonna RMA it on Monday and hope the next one works out.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Try underclocking the memory by 50-100mhz. There are problems with some ram on Turing cards that is causing them to overheat or something

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I really don't want to try messing around with too much OC related stuff and do something that causes them to deny my RMA because I can't afford another $600 video card if that happens.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Ok as long as tinkering in afterburner won't void the warranty or anything I can give it a shot this weekend. If I have to drop the clocks pretty close to the base models i'll probably still end up RMA though since that would basically be throwing away the $100 price difference.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If you're worried about it, don't bother. You're going to RMA it one way or another even if downclocking it fixes the problem. I was just curious if that was the problem, and having something to point out to them as the cause in the RMA might have been helpful

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Ok, this one is kind of hopeless but I thought I'd ask.

Had my OS SSD crap out after 6 years. Everything important was being saved to a spinning drive..... except for my desktop and internet favorites.

So it is not showing up in BIOS or as a inactive drive in Windows disk manager and I have already tried the 61 minute reinitialize trick with no success. I have a usb to SATA connector that I can use to make it like an external drive but still nothing.

Is there anything else I can do to try and get it to boot? Can a local service do something that I cannot?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
This feels like a pretty simple problem I'm having.

When I'm listening to audio via Chrome and play a game on another monitor, that audio stutters or has other issues. Additionally I have performance issues in some games if I've also got a Twitch stream up.

Some basic things I should be doing to mitigate this? Playing Rocket League and listening to a podcast seems like a reasonable thing to expect to be able to do concurrently without issue. Sometimes switching browsers provides a more reliable experience, but doesn't always.

i5 4690k stock, 16gb DDR3, 1080ti, X34 and a 1440p monitors

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This feels like a pretty simple problem I'm having.

When I'm listening to audio via Chrome and play a game on another monitor, that audio stutters or has other issues. Additionally I have performance issues in some games if I've also got a Twitch stream up.

Some basic things I should be doing to mitigate this? Playing Rocket League and listening to a podcast seems like a reasonable thing to expect to be able to do concurrently without issue. Sometimes switching browsers provides a more reliable experience, but doesn't always.

i5 4690k stock, 16gb DDR3, 1080ti, X34 and a 1440p monitors

Is one 60hz with the other being higher?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Is one 60hz with the other being higher?

Yeah, one is 100 the other is 59 (Qnix non-HDCP shit I wanna replace but don't wanna spend more than $99-150 for a secondary 1440p 27" monitor), typically. That a usual cause for this kind of thing? I guess windows updates have hosed the turbo button so I've had it just set at 100 lately.

Edit: setting primary to 60 and firing up rocket league, and navigating the menu muddies the audio playing via Chrome.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, one is 100 the other is 59 (Qnix non-HDCP shit I wanna replace but don't wanna spend more than $99-150 for a secondary 1440p 27" monitor), typically. That a usual cause for this kind of thing? I guess windows updates have hosed the turbo button so I've had it just set at 100 lately.

Edit: setting primary to 60 and firing up rocket league, and navigating the menu muddies the audio playing via Chrome.

Windows 10 forces vsync on anything that isn't fullscreen exclusive, which causes problems with using different refresh rate monitors. I'm not saying this is what the problem is, but it might be why you're seeing performance issues as your game is being forced down to 60hz despite everything saying otherwise. Try just using the main monitor for a while and see if you still have the same problems.

If you own or can pirate Rimworld, it serves as a good game to clearly see if the monitor is showing above 60hz or not as scrolling around with the foliage on screen makes it very obvious if it's at 60 or stuttering.

The easiest way to fix this issue if it is the problem is to simply have two monitors that have the same refresh rates, but some people have reported to have success with running the secondary monitor through their IGPU and their main one off the main GPU.

Unsure about the audio. I was having some audio issues with Twitch and either chrome or edge a while back, but I don't watch twitch anymore lately so can't say if it's still a problem.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user