Computer Issues

Argarth

On the verandah
OK BIOS is good.
It's looking like the MB is incorrectly identifying your RAM and under-volting it severely. (well it's not been tested, so who knows) No wonder it won't run @ 3200 or even close.

You are probably in a bind, but you may be able to get it to work if you can manually set the voltage to 1.35v

Also check the timings, but don't change them. Can you post a SS of HWINFO for those please, I just want to see what's going on there if your MB doesn't see your ram correctly.

Something like this:

1541051812241.png

EDIT: may be jumping the gun here, since you said it's only running at 2133 now right??

Go into the bios and change the XMP profile to say 3000, and see if the voltage jumps to ~ 1.35volts on the bios page =BEFORE= you save and reboot.

edit: and please record the first 4 timings on the bios page as well after the change.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Timings.jpg

I only have 1 stick in still as a result of doing the single-stick tests. From what I saw doing my googling the last few days to try fixing things anything over 2133 on amd boards is an OC so this is what it does stock I guess (1066x2 = ddr2133)?

I can try rebooting and running xmp at 3200 and seeing what the ram voltages look like.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Running into the same issue with my RTX 2070 right now.
It worked fine in the beginning, but during gaming (2 hrs) my graphics got garbled

and now I'm stuck at 1024x768 in Windows, and drivers don't appear to be working correctly.

[EDIT]: Put it into another system and it's exhibiting the same issue(s).
Driver won't load, going above 1024x768 resolution results in some artifacts being displayed.
Artifacts are also displayed on the Windows loading screen (with the swirling circle).

Going to return it.

[UPDATE]: My replacement unit has been running fine for a week. So I suppose it was a bad unit.

Found this post in a toms hardware thread just now while googling, sounds a little similar to my situation.

Argarth

On the verandah
Could be, but i would still try your old GFX card first, because if that wont install and run perfectly then there is still the ram issue to resolve.

FYI
1541052903346.png

• 2Like

Argarth

On the verandah
View attachment 181353

I only have 1 stick in still as a result of doing the single-stick tests. From what I saw doing my googling the last few days to try fixing things anything over 2133 on amd boards is an OC so this is what it does stock I guess (1066x2 = ddr2133)?

I can try rebooting and running xmp at 3200 and seeing what the ram voltages look like.

Well it's not AMD board specific. Any XMP profile is strictly an "overclock", but obviously nobody is going to buy "3200 advertised" ram that won't run at 3200 flawlessly.

You may be snookered because your Ram is not validated for your MB, just trying to find a way around it is all.

• 2Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
It does let me choose 3200 with the xmp profile so if the 680 works I can try turning that back on and seeing if things are stable since then it would most likely be the gpu that needs to be RMA (might get the replacement by thanksgiving even!) Gonna go ahead and swap to the 680, will check thread on my phone in a bit if it takes a while to do.

Argarth

On the verandah
It does let me choose 3200 with the xmp profile so if the 680 works I can try turning that back on and seeing if things are stable since then it would most likely be the gpu that needs to be RMA (might get the replacement by thanksgiving even!) Gonna go ahead and swap to the 680, will check thread on my phone in a bit if it takes a while to do.

GOOD LUCK!

• 2Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Just got full install of GeForce 416.34 with my 680 and both sticks of ram in. Call of Duty gonna take forever to download again but since that's the game that set this whole fiasco in motion I guess I can leave my pc downloading it overnight tonight and try it again tomorrow altho the settings will probably have to be way lower than I had on the 2070. Only thing it's not letting me do is change from 60hz to 144hz but I guess that's not a big deal for testing stability.

Last edited:

Argarth

On the verandah
Just got full install of GeForce 416.34 with my 680 and both sticks of ram in. Call of Duty gonna take forever to download again but since that's the game that set this whole fiasco in motion I guess I can leave my pc downloading it overnight tonight and try it again tomorrow altho the settings will probably have to be way lower than I had on the 2070. Only thing it's not letting me do is change from 60hz to 144hz but I guess that's not a big deal for testing stability.

Well that's good news. What about the RAM? Have you tried running 3200 XMP again now that you have some sense of stability back? I would also be looking to see that the MB applies the correct voltages and fairly loose timings that I posted earlier, before you go ahead with it.

• 2Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Nope haven't tried that yet. I'll switch that now real quick actually. If I leave it on xmp 3200 overnight while downloading call of duty and it's not stable will it just shut my pc off or is there potential for bad things to happen if i'm not at the pc to do something?

Edit: Running on the xmp 3200 now, hwinfo showing 1.376v and the proper timings. Hearing some noise I wasn't earlier, dunno if it's due to xmp or something rattling after I put the side panels back on. Probably gonna head to bed in a few mins, getting late now.

Thanks a bunch for helping me troubleshoot through this, much better than just trying to google things til I find something to try heh. Will post an update tomorrow hopefully saying I can play CoD successfully.

I'm assuming now that I have the drivers installed I wouldn't just be able to throw the 2070 back in and see if it works, the pc would probably not transfer them seamlessly between cards (never swapped parts in a pc before, just a couple full builds from a long time ago and now this one).

Last edited:

Argarth

On the verandah
Well, no. It might just lock up completely, or it could reboot. Depends on the crash really.

See it it works first and please post the HWINFO screens for DIMM voltage and timings =)

** edit: Well great news. Don't like guessing, but you will likely have to return the 2070. No harm in trying, I certainly would.
(you will have to reinstall the driver at some point, the real test will be getting it to boot properly with the 2070 again. Can't see how that would have magically fixed itself) :emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
  • 2Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
NewTimings.jpg

DimmVoltage.jpg

CPU clocks are running at max cause I have the CoD download going, they were mostly at 2750ish before I started that back up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
View attachment 181356
View attachment 181358
CPU clocks are running at max cause I have the CoD download going, they were mostly at 2750ish before I started that back up.

Well that is Precision Boost working its magic, looks good to me.

1.4 Volts with all the cores at ~ 4.1 GHz still seems a little high, but I must have been wrong about R5 numbers, and the temp looks good. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

• 2Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
** edit: Well great news. Don't like guessing, but you will likely have to return the 2070. No harm in trying, I certainly would.
(you will have to reinstall the driver at some point, the real test will be getting it to boot properly with the 2070 again. Can't see how that would have magically fixed itself) :emoji_thumbsup:

Yeah I don't think it would magically fix itself either, gonna leave the CoD download and hwinfo running overnight along with the xmp 3200. Assuming nothing happens before the weekend gonna pack up the 2070 and set up the RMA with newegg and hope the replacement I get actually works. Sucks having to wait however long it takes for the RMA to go through and the replacement to show up, hopefully it's not more than like 2 weeks total (and i'm gonna be mad if for some reason they don't replace it).

Well that is Precision Boost working its magic, looks good to me.

1.4 Volts with all the cores at ~ 4.1 GHz still seems a little high, but I must have been wrong about R5 numbers, and the temp looks good.

Yeah I dunno why the volts go so high but I did see multiple people saying AMD said up to 1.5v was safe (and i'm pretty sure the bios has safety stuff to stop voltage from going above that when I was checking what everything in there said in description).

Thanks again for helping me out, appreciate it a lot. You too, Dom.

Argarth

On the verandah
You're welcome!

EDIT: zombiewizardhawk zombiewizardhawk I checked your MB manual and you do have CSM support, they just call it something else. You should turn that on before retrying the RTX 2070.
Also, and sorry if this sounds obvious, but looks like your 2070 has 2 x power connectors; guessing you have been plugging them both in. =P
1541085995344.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Ah yeah that's the windows 10 whql support option I was talking about, but wasn't sure what it would do. I'm pretty sure it's been off since I first set the pc up (and off with optimized defaults) and I dunno if I even want to try the 2070 again instead of just get the RMA process going asap.

Yes I had both power connecters hooked up =D.

My monitor isn't letting me set 144hz only 60hz, would the 680 be responsible for that? I got it set up at 144hz initially with the 2070 before it died on me. Hmm nvm, maybe it's the hdmi cable I have hooked up at the moment (monitor should do 144hz with either cable but maybe I need one of the other hdmi cables it came with for 144hz).

Last edited:

Argarth

On the verandah
Ah yeah that's the windows 10 whql support option I was talking about, but wasn't sure what it would do. I'm pretty sure it's been off since I first set the pc up (and off with optimized defaults) and I dunno if I even want to try the 2070 again instead of just get the RMA process going asap.

Yes I had both power connecters hooked up =D.

My monitor isn't letting me set 144hz only 60hz, would the 680 be responsible for that? I got it set up at 144hz initially with the 2070 before it died on me. Hmm nvm, maybe it's the hdmi cable I have hooked up at the moment (monitor should do 144hz with either cable but maybe I need one of the other hdmi cables it came with for 144hz).

Windows 10 WHQL support is different. You want to leave that DISABLED, so you can ENABLE the "LEGACY+UEFI" support in the Boot menu. Need to be in "advanced" menu mode.
OK, fair enough if you want to go ahead with the RMA. It's just that this change has fixed some serious problems for a few on the NVidia forums, so I thought it was worth mentioning is all. And yes I remember you said your machine was working before the first crash with COD4.

Re: the monitor refresh, i'm guessing it's the HDMI cable and you are probably using a DisplayPort cable with the 2070. That would explain it.

1541090459195.png

• 2Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
So you think it's worth changing that setting in the bios and trying the 2070 again? I'm not gonna be able to ship anything out til Saturday or Monday anyways so I guess it wouldn't hurt.