Computer Issues

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Does the screen lock with the image still there, or go blank? Screen locks sounds like a driver issue, screen goes blank sounds like a power or hardware issue.

Immediately after a crash...
On bootup, Windows Key, type "event", hit Enter.
Hit the > next to Windows Logs, click System.

If it's a driver issue, you should see an Error with a timestamp before your boot time. Any errors after the boot time are representative of not having a clean shutdown.

Copy and post the information under the General tab of the Error, if any.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Also, if you have graphics card on your motherboard, try pulling your graphics card and using the mobo to see if it runs without issue.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Does the screen lock with the image still there, or go blank? Screen locks sounds like a driver issue, screen goes blank sounds like a power or hardware issue.

Immediately after a crash...
On bootup, Windows Key, type "event", hit Enter.
Hit the > next to Windows Logs, click System.

If it's a driver issue, you should see an Error with a timestamp before your boot time. Any errors after the boot time are representative of not having a clean shutdown.

Copy and post the information under the General tab of the Error, if any.

When I boot up the computer I do get 1 error in the logs. When I click on it this is what's listed in the general tab.

The CldFlt service failed to start due to the following error:
The request is not supported.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
When I boot up the computer I do get 1 error in the logs. When I click on it this is what's listed in the general tab.

The CldFlt service failed to start due to the following error:
The request is not supported.

Looked up how to fix that error which made it go away now I am left with a new one.

The server {0002DF02-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Pulled the video card and rebooted now it looks like the event view log is clean or at least no errors for the time being.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So even without the video card I am still getting the same random freeze/lockdowns.. Again no BSOD, no crazy visual issues. Simply any program that is open becomes unresponsive. I am unable to type or enter any commands, unable to close, minimize, or open windows.

My mouse cursor will continue to move but any commands are unresponsive.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Can you get the clock to display with seconds? Makes it easy to tell if the OS is partially/fully hanging.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I have a Gigabyte board that occasionally hard locks as well and I think they just have messed up chipset drivers. For me it had something to do with power because I was able to drastically reduce the frequency by upgrading my power supply and plugging it into a UPS. After doing that I could also occasionally get a BSOD before it locked up and it was usually some variation of DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - which seems rather generic when I search it. Most of the time there would be no event logs aside from the standard "non graceful shutdown" warnings. I'm assuming this is because everything fails before it has a chance to write any logs. My other desktop has an ASUS mb and I have had zero problems.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I am 1/2 tempted to look and see if I have a windows 7 around somewhere or maybe someone here can PM me a code and install that. At least that way I can know for sure if it's windows or hardware.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I am strongly suspecting it might be a hardware issue but what piece of hardware still eludes me, I am just stabbing in the dark but I want to get back up and running as soon as possible so I can raid with the guys.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Have you tried going into your bios and setting your processor to the "eco" or whatever the lowest power setting is and see if that buys you more time in between freezes? I'll bet it's the motherboard itself causing the issue. Have you also tried monitoring CPU heat? HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID Try seeing what pops up on that before it freezes - especially check if there are any heat or voltage issues.