Computer Issues

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I an MSi GTX 760 at the behest of many people in the Computer thread, but I think it's DoA. The resolution in Windows is that shitty SafeMode style, and I get an error from MSi Afterburner (I had previously installed) saying no supported device. Same comes when I try to install drivers, and there's nothing listed under Display Adapters in Device Manager except Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

Is there something I'm missing or is this thing a really expensive brick?

Hmm after tinkering some more, I decided to put the card in the other PCI slot (I don't know offhand if it's PCI-e 16x or whatever, but it's advertised as the slot for Crossfire/SLI so I assume it's the same?) and it seems to be working. I guess I can say that that one primary PCI slot is dead?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, probably a bad PCI slot. You should be just fine running in the second one though.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Cool. I installed Windows 7 on the 4tb drive and everything is fine, except Windows sees it at 2 2tb drives, but I'll tackle that later (I foundthis guidebut I don't have the option to convert to GPT Disk, probably because there's already data on one of the partitions).

Because there's a bigger problem! When I load Windows with my Corsair 128gb SSD, it doesn't see the video card. I even reformated and reinstalled the entire OS (with the same copy that I'm using successfully on my 4tb drive) and it won't see the fucking video card! Both hard drives have brand new installations of the same Windows 7, and yet the 4tb works fine and the SSD can't see my video card. What could be causing this?

I mean, I can literally swap between these two drives as boot drives, and the 4tb will load fine and then 15 seconds later after a reboot the SSD will tell me I don't have a video card.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just tried after reading that, no effect. I used the cable from the 4tb drive and I used multiple ports on my mobo (Asus p67) but there was no change.

Joules

Trakanon Raider
So I was doing work this morning at my dining room table with a half full mug of coffee and of course my cat jumps up out of nowhere, falls over and spills coffee all over my keyboard and into my laptop. I wasn't quick enough and before I could do anything my computer turned off. I unplugged it, picked up any excess coffee, and turned it over. About 15 minutes later I had the battery and hard drive out of it. A couple hours later I decided to disassemble it to see if there was any coffee in the inards. There were coffee stains on the motherboard and various other parts.

Before I go through the process of taking it completely apart and cleaning everything inside and out what are the chances it's already been fried beyond repair?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I had something similar happen with my laptop, but it was water instead of coffee. When it shut off before I could yank the battery I figured it was doomed. I pulled the entire thing apart and looked for any signs of damage. I didn't find any, so once everything was dry I put it back together and it still worked fine. Might as well clean is up and see if it still works.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Just bought a new SSD/HDD and after I start up Windows 7 and do a windows update the splash screen loads but no desktop items/taskbar load. I've rolled back several times now to try and figure out what I can do to fix this, but it would seem silly to think I could never use a Windows update.

Any suggestions?

Edit: So after about 7 hours (5 last night and 2 today) of trying to figure it out which consisted of way too many restarts I think I found my problem. Everytime I loaded my graphics card drivers is what made my screen go black, but obviously I needed to update the drivers. Apparently after removing my HDMI cord that connects to my tv the computer loads properly.

Hopefully I'll be able to reconnect that in the future, but for now I'm just happy to have a working computer.

Joules

Trakanon Raider
I spent a good part of my weekend taking apart my computer, cleaning every nook and cranny I could find. Aside from some noticeable coffee stains I cleaned out a bunch of other junk, and applied new thermal paste to the CPU, GPU. Turned it on and had 5 beeps for a dead coin battery. Turned it back on and my screen switched about a dozen colors before turning off. I was thinking shit ... turned it back on and it did a full boot! Date and time were screwed up, and my trackpad doesn't work. I use a mouse 95% of the time so no big loss. Super relieved it's working. I'll have to see if I can get my trackpad working, I also needed to replace my screwy bluetooth card so at least now I know my way around the machine.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Ahah so after I get the graphics card drivers working I find out my 4 TB HD is DOA. 1 step forward, 2 steps back!

Luckily Amazon's replacement policy is convenient.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Is there an easy way to install a fresh copy of Windows onto my new SSD without burning it to a CD or making a bootable USB.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I can't think of one unless you have someone with the same motherboard that can do a ghost/acronis image and send it to you to restore from ... a bootable usb / cd i guess..... fuck

Why the stupid restrictions ?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I dumped the contents of the iso into the new HDD. Seems to be working

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Help Computer!

My desktop has been acting up for about a year now. I'll be minding my own computer business, and the PC will completely lock up for anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds. If I'm playing anything with audio, the audio will "skip" (sounds like a power tool sometimes). I could be busy doing something on the computer and it happens, or it could just be idling and it happens. There are really no warning signs. There is not slow down or chugging before it freezes, and there is no slow down or chuggin' after it unfreezes.

Some weeks are worse than others. And sometimes it goes away for a month or two.

She's an old Dell XPS 630 - about 5 years old.
Intel CoreT2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.40GHz,1066FSB)
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs
nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
500GB - Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Update: Finally bought a new HDD. Picked up a SSD and installed a fresh copy of W7.

This is my first SSD, and it's actually the first time I've even seen one IRL. I was quite surprised at how small it is. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that my computer had those easy HDD clips that allow you to quickly swap out drives. I guess what I'm saying is that I haven't done anything to this computer since I bought it
smile.png

So far so good, everything's running fast as fuck. I'm guessing this was also the biggest bottleneck in my system.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I gotta revist my problem real quick. The past 10 days I was at my friend's place with my computer, and I had been using my new GTX 760 in the secondary PCI slot, as recommended. The first time I had it there, the error light lit up on the primary PCI slot, but it went away after about 5 seconds and booted just fine. I had my computer off and on playing all sorts of games with 0 problems up until yesterday.

I left his place and came back to mine, and now the fucking thing won't see the second slot. Exact same configuration and cabling, but every time I have the card in the second slot, the red error light turns on (the manual says this indicates a VGA issue) and no video is output. The computer still works fine, I can hear windows loading. If I use the card in the primary slot (as I am now) Windows loads fine but it doesn't actually see anything more than a "VGA adapter." The resolution is up to normal 1920x1080, but if I try to open a game or install drivers, it says there's nothing installed. Video playback is also choppy.

tl;dr how the hell can I get my mobo to see the video card in the second slot, as it had been doing for the past 10 days? The mobo is a Sabertooth p67.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Total random stab in the dark here, but have you tried disabling the on-board video through your bios settings? A long ass time ago I had a friend who had a similar problem in his system, it wouldn't default to the video card as the primary display adapter unless it was plugged into slot #1. Even though it could technically work in any slot, the mobo would only auto-detect it in 1 specific slot, so we had to manually disable the onboard video so the system was forced to keep looking for another display adapter beyond just that first empty slot.

Note...this was back in the AGP days, I would hope that motherboards in this day and age are smarter than that, but I just wanted to throw it out there just in case...