Computer Issues

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
couldn't hurt to try to change it from studio quality to cd quality (or whatever, windows is weird)

also looks like that monitor has built in speakers too, maybe enable default to vg278 and just see (since it's also now using the hdmi wire)
I tried changing the quality too, still there.

The monitor speakers are absurdly quiet. I can't hear them at all.
I really don't use my work speakers for much. Just the occasional webinar (if I'm just an attendee) and notification sounds like teams or email messages. I don't need "good" audio, just need to be able to hear it and hopefully get rid of that fucking static sound that I have to hear 200 times a day.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

I really don't use my work speakers for much. Just the occasional webinar (if I'm just an attendee) and notification sounds like teams or email messages. I don't need "good" audio, just need to be able to hear it and hopefully get rid of that fucking static sound that I have to hear 200 times a day.
yea i just wanted to see if a different source/wire/driver (it's going through videocard audio instead of motherboard realtek) would produce the same effect

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I didnt want you to buy new speakers, just try head phones lol. Hope theyre nice speakers I guess, or you can return them w/e. Uninstall your drivers, restart the PC and install the newest ones. You could have installed something that doesnt seem like it would interact with those drivers, but you never know.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I didnt want you to buy new speakers, just try head phones lol. Hope theyre nice speakers I guess, or you can return them w/e. Uninstall your drivers, restart the PC and install the newest ones. You could have installed something that doesnt seem like it would interact with those drivers, but you never know.
They're $20 6W speakers that I got with the company card. The last ones were $40 10W speakers. I don't care what it sounds like ;)

I'll try new drivers.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Sometimes the onboard sound on motherboards is poorly shielded and you can get interference. Do you have any USB headphones to test and see if it still happens?

Jovec

?
i would future proof the heatsink by getting a d15 so you can use it on current or upcoming cpus

Seconded. My original D14 bought for my Sandy Bridge i7 is still in use out there on my nephew's r5 3600, fans and all. I was doing some upgrading and testing this past week, and my D15S with 2 fans was keeping an overclocked 5950x at around 83c (23/24c ambient) under P95 small FFTs and a 230 watt sustained CPU PPT load.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I use a QNAP TR-004 in a RAID 5 for most of my media. Yesterday when cleaning out and dusting, the enclosure got knocked over and 3 of the disks fell out. No big deal I thought, put them all back in and everything seemed to come up fine. However, one of the disks has a warning on it, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to fix it. Here is a small screenshot of what it is showing as a warning.

1642776371030.png

Everything appears to be working fine, but having one drive show Orange is driving me crazy, and I have to assume it can't be a good thing to leave it that way.

So how do I fix this? The QNAP manages the drives, but there doesn't appear to be any fix utility in there.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Also, did a scan and repair after Windows found errors, but still showing up in QNAP has having an issue.

1642778378451.png

Edit: OK, removed the offending HD, put it back in, and now everything is fine!

• 1Like

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
So the fan to cool my cooling system has shit the bed and I'm trying to replace it. Bought a 120mm noctua that's four pronged.

I can't seem to figure out how to disconnect my 3 prong old power cord. It looks like it just ends and there are is a red wire and black wire (white connector towards the top) that feed down into another white connector down below (bottom).

I'm stuck.

20220126_140330.jpg

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
I'm an idiot, forgot I can just disconnect the old one and connect the new one to the MOBO. Problem solved.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Started getting wierd crashes yesterday. First the computer started rebooting when playing Fortnite with some friends. Just black screen and it restarted.

Turned off PBO and clocked down the memories some but today my old problem of the monitor losing signal all of a sudden (and the game closes eventually but Windows and Teamspeak is still going). Have to restart to get the screen back online.

From googling the issue most people having similar issues point toward the PSU. I got a corsair RM750W but maybe it's starting getting bad and cant supply enough power?

I got a 5900x and a MSI Ventus 3080 and 750W might not be enough?

Got no spare PSU to try out with so leaning on buying a new one, 850W or higher.

Daidraco

Started getting wierd crashes yesterday. First the computer started rebooting when playing Fortnite with some friends. Just black screen and it restarted.

Turned off PBO and clocked down the memories some but today my old problem of the monitor losing signal all of a sudden (and the game closes eventually but Windows and Teamspeak is still going). Have to restart to get the screen back online.

From googling the issue most people having similar issues point toward the PSU. I got a corsair RM750W but maybe it's starting getting bad and cant supply enough power?

I got a 5900x and a MSI Ventus 3080 and 750W might not be enough?

Got no spare PSU to try out with so leaning on buying a new one, 850W or higher.
From my experience, it definitely sounds like the PSU. The 3080 is taking up a huge chunk of that 750 and on top of that, that 750 is probably not averaging 750 but just peaking at it.

That, and you're playing Fortnite and still using Teamspeak and your computer hates you for both.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Aazrael

From my experience, it definitely sounds like the PSU. The 3080 is taking up a huge chunk of that 750 and on top of that, that 750 is probably not averaging 750 but just peaking at it.

That, and you're playing Fortnite and still using Teamspeak and your computer hates you for both.
Is 850W a good buy or should I check 1000W to be sure?

Yea I have always been against Fortnite but it's kinda fun playing with some friends that aren't really gamers, it's easy enough for them to handle. :p

Daidraco

Is 850W a good buy or should I check 1000W to be sure?

Yea I have always been against Fortnite but it's kinda fun playing with some friends that aren't really gamers, it's easy enough for them to handle. :p
I just checked the prices to be sure. But good brand, platinum rating, PSU from an 850 to a 1000 is like a 20-30 dollar difference. Just get the 1000 and save yourself the hassle. You can spurg out and get the LED screen PSUs and such, but thats not me.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I just checked the prices to be sure. But good brand, platinum rating, PSU from an 850 to a 1000 is like a 20-30 dollar difference. Just get the 1000 and save yourself the hassle. You can spurg out and get the LED screen PSUs and such, but thats not me.
to further explain for Aazrael Aazrael , power supplies are rated bronze silver gold and plat, obvious don't ever buy bronze/silver(not even made really), and honestly any power supply that is 700+ will be at least gold, the difference between gold and plat is a more efficiency so you might save some power bill $, i believe stability too, but also if Daidraco Daidraco i suggesting get a 1k psu anyway, it'll also most likely be plat

if anything just do a quick sanity check and link back what you want to buy and we'll yea or nay for you

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
What the others said. Problem with new cards like the 3080 is that they can spike pretty high in power usage, and that spike is likely what's getting you.

Aazrael

Thanks for the inputs. The one I'm looking at is around 200 bucks and it's a Corsair RM1000X Gold.

I did pull all my "sleeve cables" now too. I had those fancy white one to make the inside pretty. But I removed them and using the PSU cables directly now. Will see if it makes a difference. If not I'll just get a 1000w to be sure. But if another model than the Corsair is better at the same price range do suggest one.

Edit: I'll add that the computer has worked flawless for over a year. The issue started for real 2 days ago. And had the monitor issue once before but it solved itself.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Thanks for the inputs. The one I'm looking at is around 200 bucks and it's a Corsair RM1000X Gold.

I did pull all my "sleeve cables" now too. I had those fancy white one to make the inside pretty. But I removed them and using the PSU cables directly now. Will see if it makes a difference. If not I'll just get a 1000w to be sure. But if another model than the Corsair is better at the same price range do suggest one.

Edit: I'll add that the computer has worked flawless for over a year. The issue started for real 2 days ago. And had the monitor issue once before but it solved itself.
Im not a fan of Corsair on their power supplies. Get this one and use the promo and stick to Platinum (EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P5). (Im just assuming your case size, if you want to update on the type of case you have if that one doesnt work.)

The platinum rating, even though it can be lumped in with efficiency, just has better parts. Meaning you're going to have a higher average output, instead of peaks. So like your old PSU probably peaks at 750, but on average was probably down at a meager 660 or something.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Im not a fan of Corsair on their power supplies. Get this one and use the promo and stick to Platinum (EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P5). (Im just assuming your case size, if you want to update on the type of case you have if that one doesnt work.)

The platinum rating, even though it can be lumped in with efficiency, just has better parts. Meaning you're going to have a higher average output, instead of peaks. So like your old PSU probably peaks at 750, but on average was probably down at a meager 660 or something.
Thanks will check that as well. Yea I've heard some complaints about Corsair and mine seem to have issues as well so maybe go for another brand. That EVGA one is 280 eurobucks over here for Platinum, the Gold was around 200 euros.