Control

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Depends on how to spend you skill points and set up gun mods. I maxed out Launch (and energy) as early as possible, used efficiency mods for it, and focused on getting the best mods for Grip. Nothing really caused me much in the way of trouble. I'm not sure which boss you're talking about but if it's the flying asshole with exploding adds, I had to redo that one a couple times before I killed it, but it was the adds that kept getting me.

Thinking back on this a few months later, I think it's probably my favorite game I played this year. I'm still bitter that I had to play it on PS4 instead of my PC because Timmy Tencent is a gigantic faggot and Remedy/505 sold out though.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it's really a pretty interesting game. jesse's face is... pretty weird from certain angles and lighting, which is sad because the real life version of her is smoking... i think some of the animations are a LITTLE janky, some of the powers seem like they need a heavy investment to be worthwhile, and some of the npc's are just... accidentally unsettling. but beyond that i definitely think it's worth a playthrough.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
They definitely need to invest a bit in improving their facial animation tech (the Mold Doctor especially was hard in the uncanny valley), and the game kinda does the "...And catch the actual ending in the DLC!" move, which obviously isn't great. But still, really enjoyed the game, especially the setting, and I can't wait for the DLCs, and hopefully a sequel.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There is one side quest where you have to kill a certain boss. It was BRUTAL, almost impossible to do without cheesing because it takes a solid 100+ hits, and you die in like 2. You'll know it when you get there. If you get stuck, just fight him from the highest point possible in the middle of the room :p
Pretty sure I killed all the bosses and none of them were that hard.

Game was kind of one the easy side for me. But for some I’ve heard it’s kind of hard at points.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
PIcked this up via 7 day trial of PSNow.

I have no idea what in the ever living fuck it is these people are talking about and the protagonist keeps talking about shit like I have been playing through a story for the last 10 hours right at the beginning. Everything being discussed is so discombobulated.

I am completely 100% lost in this game from a story perspective. Seems like there is a building in which reality goes sideways, some director dude who killed himself (With a gun) and now the gun talks to me, the lady I control keeps talking about how she wishes she could understand what the "Board" is saying when she shouldn't even know who the fuck the board is... I feel like I started a save file 10 hours in and missed a whole shitload of things that would help me understand where the hell this is going, but I started brand new....

I am the director? And I have an ability to close these portal things? What? Some Dike I ran into thought I had worked in the building for years. I sat down and I could ask a few things and I was like, "Ok finally... maybe this lady can help. No. I asked the questions, and I had answers like I had been in this place working there for months...

Nothing makes sense.

I miss Alan Wake.

Vorph

I remember it being really confusing at the very beginning but by the time you become director and talk to a few of the others who are still human it starts to make sense. Or as much sense as a really long episode of X-Files crossed with the book House of Leaves is ever going to make anyway. I never really did get the janitor in particular, though I assume it's something based on Norse mythology like the stuff in Max Payne.

Really wish this would show up on Gamepass as rumored, now that the first of the two big DLCs is out. Reviews are saying it's as good as the main game too, and that it answers quite a few questions. I don't wamt to buy the full game since I've already played it to 100% on PS4, but I'd spring for the season pass if they put it on Gamepass.

Edit: Oh wtf, The Foundation is PS4-exclusive until June? Fucking Remedy and their deals..... First Quantum Break to MS, now this, and they also just completely sold out to Epic for future PC games.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I can't even remember if I bought this damn game or just torrented it. Now that the DLCs are out though definitely want to go through them.

Vorph

Foundation is delayed on both X1 and PC until June fyi. AWE supposedly won't have an exclusivity period. It was implied that Foundation would be delayed on other platforms until AWE was ready, but I haven't seen any confirmation that it will definitely be out in June yet.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Foundation is delayed on both X1 and PC until June fyi. AWE supposedly won't have an exclusivity period. It was implied that Foundation would be delayed on other platforms until AWE was ready, but I haven't seen any confirmation that it will definitely be out in June yet.

hah scrolled up and realized I had pirated it thanks to your Latvian Queen website and the exclusivity with the Epic store. Guess I also get to pirate the DLCs until they get their head out of their ass and put it on steam.

Vorph

Ah right, I had completely forgotten this was still not on Steam at all until August.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ah right, I had completely forgotten this was still not on Steam at all until August.

Yeah and I need an account on that cs.rin.ru board to grab all the needed patches for going up to 1.09 and getting ready for this and the previous DLC. May just be easier to wait until the new one drops and grab another full install and find a save file.

Vorph

Yeah, if I was going to play (pirate) it on PC I would just wait for both Foundation and AWE to be out. That's all the DLC they have planned.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I like ACG but feel this is a bit of a stretch. No doubt there are various scummy tactics littered in the industry to complain about, just not on board with singing out Control.

The Epic games store initial release was dumb and almost everyone saw that as a negative. But there isn’t a single year or year+ old game that I had any expectation I’d be getting a free PS5 or Xbox Series X version of on release.

Where do you draw the arbitrary line of cut off that should entitle you to a PS5 version? I rate this 5/10 scummy.

spronk

FPS noob
No, the bullshit part is if you bought the game + season pass you don't get the free upgrade to PS5/X that ultimate edition owners get, even though its functionally exactly the same. So by paying MSRP ($60+$25 for SP) and supporting the devs/pubs, you are screwed while people who pay $40 a year later get a free upgrade and a huge discount. The few games that do this convoluted GOTY stuff down the road usually give free upgrades to the newer version if you bought the season pass, as a thanks to the people who supported them with extra money.

So yeah, don't buy games at launch I guess is 505's message, just wait until we put out our ultimate edition. Its already a thing I do for Ubisoft games, you are insane to buy one of their games at launch when you can buy the ultimate edition for 75% off a year later and usually they have fixed a million bugs by then too.

I own the game on EGS, I paid $35 for game + season pass using the $10 coupons they had in summer. I only put in an hour or two, sadly EGS only auto refunds in the first 2 weeks of purchase. I assume on PC the ultimate edition won't be any different than regular+SP anyways.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
This gen is a step up like the last one. We should all be getting patches to upgrade the games we purchased to play on the next gen just as if we bought a new PC and adjusted the settings for a game to allow for ultra graphical settings. Period.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
No, the bullshit part is if you bought the game + season pass you don't get the free upgrade to PS5/X that ultimate edition owners get, even though its functionally exactly the same. So by paying MSRP ($60+$25 for SP) and supporting the devs/pubs, you are screwed while people who pay $40 a year later get a free upgrade and a huge discount. The few games that do this convoluted GOTY stuff down the road usually give free upgrades to the newer version if you bought the season pass, as a thanks to the people who supported them with extra money.

So yeah, don't buy games at launch I guess is 505's message, just wait until we put out our ultimate edition. Its already a thing I do for Ubisoft games, you are insane to buy one of their games at launch when you can buy the ultimate edition for 75% off a year later and usually they have fixed a million bugs by then too.

I own the game on EGS, I paid $35 for game + season pass using the $10 coupons they had in summer. I only put in an hour or two, sadly EGS only auto refunds in the first 2 weeks of purchase. I assume on PC the ultimate edition won't be any different than regular+SP anyways.

But that still doesn't resonate with me. Why would you have assumed a year ago that buying a game + season pass means you get a free PS5 upgrade? Does that apply to a game you purchased 1.5 years ago that they may release an ultimate edition for? 6 months ago? Spider Man is 2 years old and I bought the game plus all DLC. Am I supposed to be pissed if they release Spider Man Ultimate Edition and people who purchase it get the PS5 version as well?

I'm 100% on board with buying games at full price / on release. It is a buyer beware market and very rarely do I consider it. Think maybe Spider Man and Ghost are the last two. Maybe an indy game in the Steam thread for like $15.

This gen is a step up like the last one. We should all be getting patches to upgrade the games we purchased to play on the next gen just as if we bought a new PC and adjusted the settings for a game to allow for ultra graphical settings. Period.

C'mon man, that just isn't how things work. You know that. Engines don't all scale that way with a simple "+awesomer" button. There is no reasonable expectation that all the games you purchased throughout the life of the PS4 are getting a free PS5 version. We're getting backward compat that may come with some enhancements but I guess we don't even know that it'll be 100% library backwards compatible.

Actually one thing I couldn't find is if Control PS4 was backwards compatible with PS5 or if only the Ultimate edition will work. Like there's an argument I could get behind. If the Ultimate edition is the only one that would provide straight "PS5 enhancements." Maybe that is the argument here and I'm overlooking that. Because I am a huge fan of backwards compatibility.

Vorph

It's bullshit because the ultimate edition and the original deluxe edition--or regular edition with season pass added--are the exact same thing. The only reason the Ultimate Edition even exists is because not only did Remedy / 505 sell out to Epic (not only Control but all their other upcoming games as well), they also sold Sony timed exclusivity on the DLCs, and the release of Ultimate is coinciding with the the DLCs finally being available everywhere. Which means the "Ultimate" edition on PS4 makes even less sense, since it's 100% the same as the Digital Deluxe Edition being sold today... except that Deluxe currently costs twice as much as Ultimate will, yet still won't include the PS5 upgrade. Even if you buy the Ultimate Edition on other platforms there's still some stuff (mostly cosmetic but still) exclusive to PS4.

Last edited: