Control

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Well, I tapped out on this one around a third of the way through the main story. The map is terrible and the objectives are vague, so I was spending most of my time wandering around lost in some really drab environments.

I get what they were going for and I enjoy the X-Files theme here, but after a while I felt like it was wasting my time. The last straw was this puzzle that gave me like no clues how to solve it, so I loaded up a Youtube walkthrough, and the guy in that was also confused by the puzzle and ended up doing trial and error to eventually get through it.

I turned the game off and read a story synopsis for the rest. Oh well. I had high hopes for this one and had it on the backburner / shortlist for a while. Doubt I'll ever pick it up again though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Well, I tapped out on this one around a third of the way through the main story. The map is terrible and the objectives are vague, so I was spending most of my time wandering around lost in some really drab environments.

I get what they were going for and I enjoy the X-Files theme here, but after a while I felt like it was wasting my time. The last straw was this puzzle that gave me like no clues how to solve it, so I loaded up a Youtube walkthrough, and the guy in that was also confused by the puzzle and ended up doing trial and error to eventually get through it.

I turned the game off and read a story synopsis for the rest. Oh well. I had high hopes for this one and had it on the backburner / shortlist for a while. Doubt I'll ever pick it up again though.

This is basically what happened to me. I've been running around for an hour trying to figure out where the fuck to go.

Game started out strong then started deteriorating slowly. Add in the shitty map, vague directions and horrible over the top dialogue and I've lost interest.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This is basically what happened to me. I've been running around for an hour trying to figure out where the fuck to go.

Game started out strong then started deteriorating slowly. Add in the shitty map, vague directions and horrible over the top dialogue and I've lost interest.

Yeah. I used to take pride in finishing every game I played (back when I could only afford one game a month, so it wasn't difficult). Nowayears I've come to the realization that my time is way more important than money or getting the most out of a game. The worst sin a game can commit is making me feel like it's wasting my time, and Control definitely did that.

That makes 3 games I've tapped out on in the past month because I just couldn't be arsed to continue, even though I wanted to: Control, Returnal, Fallout 76. At first I thought maybe I was depressed and unable to enjoy things at the moment since I'm a huge Fallout fan, but then I realized that it wasn't me and the new Fallouts are just shitty games. And Returnal/Control just had no respect for my time, though I will say Returnal is a waaaaay better game than the other two.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It’s been a while but I don’t remember having any of those issues, so strange to read. Granted I could have and just not remember. But my memory is of a very enjoyable experience overall.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It’s been a while but I don’t remember having any of those issues, so strange to read. Granted I could have and just not remember. But my memory is of a very enjoyable experience overall.
Same. Platinumed the game without even trying to, and I'm working through it a second time now since I own the Ultimate edition on XSX. Could've just loaded my endgame save on PS5 to play the DLC, but ray-tracing performance is noticeably better on Series X and the haptic "features" are total shit. I figured out how to turn off the stupid trigger pull effects, but never did see a setting to turn off the vibration with every step you take (other than completely disabling it).

There's some backtracking involved but that's normal for any game with metroidvania components. Get a new power or a security level or whatever, and then you have to remember all the spots you couldn't get into before that are now opened up. The map isn't perfect, and sometimes you end up trying to follow what looks like the correct path but it ends up being blocked somehow. It's simple enough to fast travel back to where you started from and find a different way though.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not sure how you got lost tbh. You’re not giving enough information to help us understand where, why, or how to that happened.

Hekotat

Not sure how you got lost tbh. You’re not giving enough information to help us understand where, why, or how to that happened.

Was supposed to find someone underneath some section of the map (Forget which). It wasn't marked on the map like others, I found the entrance down there but kept getting insta-killed by the mobs down there so I assume that is not the area I'm supposed to be in.

Also, the closest save was a good distance away. After the 4th death and finding no other entrance I threw in the towel.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I bet it was the part where you're going to the foundation and you hit the button and have to wait for the zip-line cart to come up. While you're waiting there is a wave event that is one of the hardest parts of the game and it might seem like you're getting instagibbed and not supposed to be there.... but you are. you're just supposed to hold out until the trolley thing gets there.

Best I can think of.

edit - ohhhhhh i know where you were, you were definitely down in spore area way down that long elevator shaft. if you were down in the fungal area and getting pelted by spore blasts from a million miles away, then yeah you arent supposed to be down there until nearly the end of the game.

Last edited:

Vorph

Spore dudes don't really have much in the way of AI (like zombies that can spit) so they're rather easy to cheese.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The part that did me in was the puzzle with the punch-cards. I know the boards give you clues and whatnot but I just couldn't be arsed at that point, and checked a walkthrough, and the guy doing the walkthrough also got stuck on that part and had to use trial-and-error.

Before that was a procession of roadblocks where the game would tell me to go somewhere and I'd follow signs or follow the map and end up reaching some blocked passage and then either run around looking for another way through, or check a walkthrough. It felt like the game was constantly interrupting its own flow with obscure objectives. That giant circular hub room also ended up being a real pain in the ass.

Right now I just need for games to be clear about where I'm going and what I'm doing. Running around in circles makes me physically nauseous nowadays, unless I'm really into a game and really into the exploration aspect. If I'm gaining EXP no matter what, that helps (I can wander around in Souls games all day).

spronk

FPS noob
I enjoyed Control a lot more when I turned on some of the cheat shit, i'm getting too old to think I'm a FPS pro anymore. pew pew pew and everything dies and dementia me is happy

i think i upped my damage, turned on infinite ammo, and that was probably about it. even still some of the spore shit was crazy hard

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bunch of fucking boomers in here crying how Control is too hard? 😂

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Just played through the Alan Wake DLC. Holy shit was that good. I’m going to buy that remaster and play through it again. What fantastic story telling and set up for Alan wake 2.

• 1Like

Crone

Put a ton of time into this today and got pretty close to the end I think, but didn't beat it. Shit's fucking hard and I'm glad I'm not the only one on here that was having some troubles with shit. Lol

The spore shit where they were sniping you from the middle took many tries, and yea, just basically agree with everyone in here. It was getting in its own way over and over again making it not that enjoyable at times. Then the story would take a turn, or do something and I was really enjoying it all over again, so I guess it can go back ways.

Edit: Oh, and can I say that the Ashtray Maze was some of the best gaming I've had in a really long time? That part was fucking JAMMIN' !!

Last edited:

Hekotat

Put a ton of time into this today and got pretty close to the end I think, but didn't beat it. Shit's fucking hard and I'm glad I'm not the only one on here that was having some troubles with shit. Lol

The spore shit where they were sniping you from the middle took many tries, and yea, just basically agree with everyone in here. It was getting in its own way over and over again making it not that enjoyable at times. Then the story would take a turn, or do something and I was really enjoying it all over again, so I guess it can go back ways.

Edit: Oh, and can I say that the Ashtray Maze was some of the best gaming I've had in a really long time? That part was fucking JAMMIN' !!

I guess I need to try it again, I was having issues figuring out where to go at the end due to how shit the map is implemented. Otherwise it was really good.

Crone

I guess I need to try it again, I was having issues figuring out where to go at the end due to how shit the map is implemented. Otherwise it was really good.
Yea, the map has caused quite a few frustrations but not nearly as many as over-tuned super hard areas that seem out of place. At least for me, I'd be going along and stuff was challenging but not too bad and then I run into a wall where I die 10 times before I can get past it. And then adding to the frustration, they make you restart at the latest control point which almost always takes a minute then to run back to where you were.

Also, what's with the Missions that randomly pop up while you're playing? Almost like dynamic quests or something? I"ve never accepted or done a single one of them and just been focusing main story, but I guess I could somehow go figure out where that "threat" is and get rewards for it?

Crone

wtf just happened? Lol

The game ended, but actually didn’t and was another 10 minutes of weird shit? I was delivering mail and shit.

This game is a mind fuck.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Did it end?
1642907040676.png