Control

Szlia

I'll not debate the subtleties that separate the different editions of the game, but people seriously need to stop being delusional and understand why there are exclusivity deals going around. When you produce Assassin's Creed 87658765, Fifa 876876 or Call of Duty 65675, the fine people at marketing have a lot of data points and can reasonably accurately predict what the sales of the game will be. This predictability makes it a lot easier to finance the production of the game. When you want to make a AAA game like Control, you have dramatically fewer data points to predict even vaguely accurately if the game will be a success or a failure. Since you have very little certainty about the sales you will make, you need other revenue streams that are predictable or the game is simply not made. 505 Games are not signing exclusivity deals with Epic because they are "sell out", greedy or are in a crusade to mess with your digital library : they are signing those because if they don't, they don't make the game or have to make a budget version of it.

I can see third party console exclusives being annoying, but Steam and Epic fighting to secure exclusives is the closest to a win-win there can be. At the minuscule cost of having to double click on another icon and possibly have to manage two friend lists, millions of dollars are funneled into video game production, which allows more ambitious, original and risk taking games to be made ! But yeah, let's pirate those, that will show them !

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I understand it just fine, but as a consumer I simply do not care. If Control had been on Steam I would have bought it day one. Instead I played it on PS4, and made sure to rent it rather than buy.

Also, Steam and Epic don't "fight to secure exclusives." Epic has a trash store and client, so they throw Fortnite money at developers to get them to be exclusive because otherwise nobody but Fortnite kiddies would use them over Steam for anything besides free games. Steam just keeps making Steamworks better, and basically does nothing else because they don't need to.

And yes, 505 is a shit company. I'd suggest looking into what they did with Payday before Starbreeze bought back the IP, or how they are notorious for $1:€1 regional pricing, before defending them.

Last edited:

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not sure why buying a game a year ago would entitle you to a free PS5 version.

If you want free upgrades get a PC.

Why are gamers the biggest whiners?

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
So I haven't been paying a great deal of attention to this shit with the ultimate edition. Do you need the ultimate edition to play on next gen? Or is it that the ultimate edition gives extra graphical bells and whistles when playing on next gen?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah i still don't get why this is even an issue. sure, they made some pretty poorly thought out statements about it...

but why on EARTH do people think they are entitled to a free copy of the ultimate edition in the first place? i'm not trying to be difficult, i just don't understand it. if someone wants to clarify it i'd be willing to listen. but to me, it just sounds like someone bought it at release, and then a year later when GOTY edition comes out, they aren't entitled to get that for free...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just got this today. It's a really wierd game but I like it so far. What skills to focus on? I did put a few points into HP because I felt like I was getting one shotted (yes I'm old and suck).

Vorph

Just got this today. It's a really wierd game but I like it so far. What skills to focus on? I did put a few points into HP because I felt like I was getting one shotted (yes I'm old and suck).
I'm hazy on the details since I'm waiting to play the DLCs when XSX is out, but this is what I posted last year:
I maxed out Launch (and energy) as early as possible, used efficiency mods for it, and focused on getting the best mods for Grip. Nothing really caused me much in the way of trouble.
Pretty sure I used the basic pistol far more than any other version of the gun too. The one that's kind of like a sniper is probably a lot better if you're using kb/m, but I played it on PS4.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
On the gun forms, I pretty much exclusively ended up using the Pierce form. You need to be accurate with it--since you need to charge your shots, and only get two shots before it needs to reload--but each shot clears a huge chunk of the enemy's health. Very satisfying to hit with. And yeah, Launch is also super useful. Since Pierce is a slow shooter, I would end up just alternating between taking a shot and Launching something at the enemy for most fights.

I actually just returned to the game a couple days ago to work my way through the DLC. Man I like this game.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So am I actually supposed to hear the director or the board talking? Cause I'm getting all kinds of random disjointed subtitles for dialogue that isn't actually in the game, and I can't tell if this game is just trying to be a non-Euclidean mess, or it's just actually broken. Like the main chick is having conversations I can only hear one side of, except sometimes there's subtitles for the other half of the conversation I can't hear?

It's on gamepass now btw as well.

Vorph

So am I actually supposed to hear the director or the board talking? Cause I'm getting all kinds of random disjointed subtitles for dialogue that isn't actually in the game, and I can't tell if this game is just trying to be a non-Euclidean mess, or it's just actually broken. Like the main chick is having conversations I can only hear one side of, except sometimes there's subtitles for the other half of the conversation I can't hear?

The board is just noise that's subtitled because Jessie can understand what they're saying.

And it's on Game Pass, but isn't the Ultimate edition, so no DLCs and it's played through BC on Series X rather than the full next gen port with raytracing.

spronk

FPS noob

when you see the giant inverted pyramid the board is talking and their speech is muddled, you'll only understand one word in 4 or 5. Whenever Jesse talks to herself though it should be clear, she also talks to the previous director (and others) on the Hotline which manifests as sort of a hologram taking over your full POV, that also has muddled other side iirc. Jesse does talk to herself a lot.

Most of the game "myth" is built up using audio logs and note scraps, if you hate that kinda stuff this game will not be fun.

The Ultimate Edition was on PS+ for PS5 way back in Feb, I 100%'d the game and all DLCs back then and really enjoyed it. Combat was a bit meh but some of the missions are absolutely amazing, and i enjoyed the world building and setting. Very heavy X-Files vibe.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
when you see the giant inverted pyramid the board is talking and their speech is muddled, you'll only understand one word in 4 or 5. Whenever Jesse talks to herself though it should be clear, she also talks to the previous director (and others) on the Hotline which manifests as sort of a hologram taking over your full POV, that also has muddled other side iirc. Jesse does talk to herself a lot.

Most of the game "myth" is built up using audio logs and note scraps, if you hate that kinda stuff this game will not be fun.

The Ultimate Edition was on PS+ for PS5 way back in Feb, I 100%'d the game and all DLCs back then and really enjoyed it. Combat was a bit meh but some of the missions are absolutely amazing, and i enjoyed the world building and setting. Very heavy X-Files vibe.
And Alan Wake eater eggs.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Just started playing this and really liking it. I love the whole mindfuck/mystery aspect. I would have never touched it had it not been free on Epic.

Haven't read any of the thread yet to avoid spoilers but I'll follow up later.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Just started playing this and really liking it. I love the whole mindfuck/mystery aspect. I would have never touched it had it not been free on Epic.

Haven't read any of the thread yet to avoid spoilers but I'll follow up later.
Don't know if the freebie version on Epic includes the DLC (or if you've otherwise picked them up), but if so, I'd personally recommend holding off on them until the post-game, and probably do the Foundation DLC before AWE. I believe both of them become available earlier, but I'd say it flows better narratively to do things in that order. Just a suggestion.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I didn’t find either DLC to be particularly great. My problem with them is that they’re just more of the same.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Been playing this since I finished FF7R and am waiting for Dark Alliance. It's basically Returnal without the ultra-annoying aspects and high difficulty. Unfortunately, it's also missing the rad space setting of Returnal. Office buildings and boiler rooms just aren't that interesting of a setting. I like the main character (and how well she fits in her jeans) which goes a long way. I'm about a third of the way through this game, surprised at how fast it flies by. It's definitely a lot of fun. Not sure if I'm gonna play the DLCs yet. Do they add a lot to the game? Do they take a while? I might be able to fit those in.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
AWE has some good fights and Foundation has some pretty good story. I'd say they're worth it. they're not too long, just a couple hours each.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Without giving away the particulars, AWE is pretty clearly serving as the lead-in to the next game, so from a story perspective it's worth playing for that, I think.