Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
One thing thats been pissing me off lately is the round robin of shows as they come and go and do their rounds on all the streaming sites. For instance I wanted to watch BSG again recently and fuck, its on hulu, so I try to find Fringe, nope that one is on go90. How bout Sarah Connor chronicles? Fucking Vudu. Shit just angers me. the fuck if im gonna pay $70/month for streaming services.

I guess I could just sign up and cancel, but its just the point. Why cant we have one that we pay $20 for and has them all?
Family share those subs, and it won't cost as much? We have Hulu and Amazon Prime, which the whole family uses, and then they do Netflix. Works out well.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Check to see if you have version 7.7 of the Roku software. If you do try reverting to an older firmware by doing the following and doing software update from the menu that comes up.

Home x 5
FF x 3
RW x 2
Both Roku 4's are on 7.6 build 4120-17.

So they are both hard wired in, both on the same build, but only the one in the front room buffers like a mother fucker. I'm annoyed!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Both Roku 4's are on 7.6 build 4120-17.

So they are both hard wired in, both on the same build, but only the one in the front room buffers like a mother fucker. I'm annoyed!

Do a test and connect the problem one with an ethernet cable to see if that fixes it. Either you have some wifi issue with that one or just bite the bullet and do a factory reset.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Do a test and connect the problem one with an ethernet cable to see if that fixes it. Either you have some wifi issue with that one or just bite the bullet and do a factory reset.
He said that both are already hard wired in.

Ameraves swap their physical location. If the one that is having issues still does you know it isn't an Ethernet cable or router setting, it's something set in the actual device. If it stays in the same physical location you will then know that it is something with the path like the cable, router config, or maybe even EMI right there.

Remember boys and girls that power cords and data cables should always cross perpendicular and never go to the same location parallel to each other.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Ameraves, strange you mention this. I have two Roku Premiere's and Plex has been buffering like crazy lately, despite no changes in location, Wifi strength/bandwidth, or any other factors. I'm not sure the build they are on, would have to check. The one in living room had an update available last night so downloaded that. Will have to see today if it still has an issue.

nazon

Molten Core Raider
I cut Comcast for my TV provider last February and switched to Playstation VUE. Comcast raised my bill every year by $15. They also kept relocating channels I watched to other packages. I was paying $175 for Internet + one HDTV with DVR. Now I'm paying $40 for the PS Vue and $50 for internet. I actually get some channels I didn't get with Comcast such as the Science channel. The cloud DVR is really great too. There no limit to capacity. The recordings are available for 30 days which is a great trade off. It is a little bit laggy on a PS3 but I believe it was designed around the PS4 platform so I can't complain. I can access it from my PC and phone/tablets as well. They recently gave me a 30 day trial of the premium package and there's a eSports channel. If they have the channels you like and you want a DVR, I would highly recommend.

• 1Like

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
My ISP is now offering gigabit service in my area. I am currently at 250/10 (yes the upload speeds suck) with 500gb data cap, and paying $79.95 per month. The last 2 months I am bumping right up against the data cap, 10gb short last month and as of today I had 14gb left for this month. Then they will charge you an overage fee of $5 for every 1-25gb you go over, and $5 more of the same amount. Or I have the option of paying $10 per month to bring my data up to 1tb. Now, the gigabit service is $99.95 per month and unlimited data. So of course in my mind why not just pay the extra $10 per month and get the gigabit connection. Do I have any real need for it? No, but it is available and I want it!

I am going to need to upgrade my modem in order to fully utilize the new speeds though. Does anyone have a recommendation on a new modem? I am looking at one of these currently
Amazon.com: NETGEAR CM1000 DOCSIS 3.1 Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem– certified for XFINITY by Comcast and Cox. Device max download speeds is 1.0Gbps: Computers & Accessories
Amazon.com: Next-Generation ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging- White: Computers & Accessories
Amazon.com: Motorola Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem, Model MB8600, plus 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0, Certified by Comcast XFINITY: Computers & Accessories

They all seem to have good reviews, and there isn't a huge price difference between them all. So I wasn't sure if anyone had any experience and/or suggestions.

Sorry for the late reply but FWIW i've had 2 Netgear cable modems crap out on me and will never buy one again. I bought the Motorola SB6141 from here Motorola SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem for both myself and family and they have been very solid.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Sorry for the late reply but FWIW i've had 2 Netgear cable modems crap out on me and will never buy one again. I bought the Motorola SB6141 from here Motorola SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem for both myself and family and they have been very solid.
Hah, thanks for the reply. Funny enough I bought the Netgear only to find out it wasn't supported by my ISP. Returned it to Amazon and got the Motorola instead.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So in further adventures of Edko Catches Up to 2017, I bought a fire tv (set top) with intent to jail break it. Is Exodus still the preferred thing to put on it or is there something better?

And as a follow up, will Sunday ticket be available if I jailbreak it?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What's the best device out there right now for streaming 4k content? LG's Hulu smart app starts to stutter after a couple hours, and from Googling it looks like it's the shitty app. It just straight up can't handle it's shit, and so it just craps out. The other apps seem to work just fine, but I have a little OCD creeping in and I want 1 thing that streams all the apps. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Plex. Used to stream everything on a Ps4, but I don't wanna limit myself to 1080p if something happens to be in 4k through Netflix or Plex.

Roku seems to be the most supported, or a newer Fire TV box (not stick)?

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Nvidia shield streams 4k with no issue. I have 3 of them. While I don't use Hulu, netflix, Amazon and plex all look great. The 500gb model can run a plex server too.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Nvidia shield streams 4k with no issue. I have 3 of them. While I don't use Hulu, netflix, Amazon and plex all look great. The 500gb model can run a plex server too.
+1
best device out there for doing everything. Hulu app works fine as well, although I can't recall ever seeing anything in 4k either.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
+1
best device out there for doing everything. Hulu app works fine as well, although I can't recall ever seeing anything in 4k either.

Damn it, I wanted new golf clubs but so many people are recommending the shield now that I want one. I'm thinking of doing the 500GB model, but how well does add on storage work? Just attach a external usb 3.0 drive?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Damn it, I wanted new golf clubs but so many people are recommending the shield now that I want one. I'm thinking of doing the 500GB model, but how well does add on storage work? Just attach a external usb 3.0 drive?
I bought the 500GB just because (I believe the other one was out of stock and I can't wait once I decide to buy something), but I have it all streaming from a NAS. From what I gather an external USB 3.0 drive will work just fine, but I've never used it to say for certain.

It also supposedly lets you stream games from your computer if the computer has an Nvidia card, assuming you don't want to use Steam, but again, I've never used any of that. Some posts I've seen about it range from it being as good as the Steam Link to significantly worse. But, if you don't have any other way to play games on your big TV and don't want to buy an additional device, that's another plus for the Shield.

• 1Like

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
That's interesting. I dont really play games, but WoW on the big screen might be cool.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I'm considering doing either Sunday ticket streaming (I can get the student pricing, so $100 for the season with Redzone) or also curious about the NFL Game pass VPN scam that @a_skeleton_03 had mentioned. My main concern is getting the best possible quality. Any input?

spronk

FPS noob
if you wanna build your own home NAS, best buy is selling today (this week?) the 8TB easystore drives for $160 each, a $40 or so savings from the every day amazon price
WD - easystore® 8TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Black

you rip open the case and take out the 5400 rpm WD 8TB red NAS drive inside and put it in whatever thing you want, whether its your desktop or into a NAS box. Do 1-4 of those drives and you should be set on storage for a while.

I would NOT use the easystore out of the box as is, the WD (and other) systems encrypt their drives if used in their own enclosure, which means you can't just pop it out and put it somewhere else. But once you take the drive out its just a regular drive. The drive by itself costs $300+ at newegg/etc.

There are some deals you can get at best buy too to make it sweeter, like with a best buy CC I have an offer of spend $100+ get back 10%, or amex credit card has a $25/250, etc.

i'm sorta tempted to buy one buy I currently have 10tb free space and with the new 1tb/mo data cap cox has put on me, I no longer download anything and everything :(