Cord-Cutting, Or How to Stream your Way to Success

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
This thread is decently long so I'm sorry if this has been covered.

I'm moving into a new house soon, FIOS and a local cable company offer service.

I've been thinking about just doing internet and then doing something like SlingTV or Hulu Live...but a friend bought up a good point.

Is it true none of the streaming live TV services have 5.1 sound? I've checked Sling, Vue, DirecTV and Hulu...that's kind of frustrating.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
All of the legit streaming services suck really bad. Directv now actually got worse as time went on and not having local channels sucked. I use plex with one these http://a.co/aY7A0Lb and an antenna for local shit and then get all my shows/movies from Amazon prime and downloading/ripping rentals.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I actually like Playstation Vue a lot more than the cable I canceled two months ago.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
All of the legit streaming services suck really bad. Directv now actually got worse as time went on and not having local channels sucked. I use plex with one these http://a.co/aY7A0Lb and an antenna for local shit and then get all my shows/movies from Amazon prime and downloading/ripping rentals.

I highly disagree with this statement.

I have SlingTV at my house and pair it with an OTA HD antenna to get local channels. This setup is great for my family and SlingTV, while not perfect, is certainly good enough that I don't have many complaints.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
SlingTV was the absolute shittiest of the 3 major services when I tried it (Vue was the best but most expensive). I sincerely hope they all get better but for now everyone should prepare to be underwhelmed.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
SlingTV was the absolute shittiest of the 3 major services when I tried it (Vue was the best but most expensive). I sincerely hope they all get better but for now everyone should prepare to be underwhelmed.

I mean, have you had to deal with Cox or one of the other cable providers recently?

I'll take the tech issues with Sling that I can resolve myself over their cost and ineffective support.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Oh they are? I might also then. (We are neighbors)
news-report-stalker.jpg

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Decided to give the YouTube TV a shot since it had a 14 day trial. Seems OK. 3 devices. They offer plenty sports options including ESPN, NESN and FS1. It also includes YouTube Red content, but not the ad removal apparently. Has some movies, looking to be about 12-18+ months old?

The DVR function works as easy as pie. Want to record a show? Hot the + sign next to the show. It records that episode and everyone there after in your library. There is no Roku channel which sucks. Chrome support obviously though.

Highest quality is 1080P. Zero hiccups in the stream thus far after a few hours.

All the local Boston channels.

Now, is it worth 35 bucks? Meh...I....don't know. You're paying extra for ESPN really. Also to a degree the local news and sports. I will let you know how much the family likes it. It really needs to beat the Netflix/Hulu combo I guess, which is about 15 bucks cheaper.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Decided to give the YouTube TV a shot since it had a 14 day trial. Seems OK. 3 devices. They offer plenty sports options including ESPN, NESN and FS1. It also includes YouTube Red content, but not the ad removal apparently. Has some movies, looking to be about 12-18+ months old?

The DVR function works as easy as pie. Want to record a show? Hot the + sign next to the show. It records that episode and everyone there after in your library. There is no Roku channel which sucks. Chrome support obviously though.

Highest quality is 1080P. Zero hiccups in the stream thus far after a few hours.

All the local Boston channels.

Now, is it worth 35 bucks? Meh...I....don't know. You're paying extra for ESPN really. Also to a degree the local news and sports. I will let you know how much the family likes it. It really needs to beat the Netflix/Hulu combo I guess, which is about 15 bucks cheaper.

Do you have the Hulu live streaming thing or just the normal "old show" version?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I was reinstalling Sonarr yesterday when I noticed something very similar called Radarr. I can't keep track of all these forks. What's the most recent media tracking and scraping utility these days?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I use Sonarr. Never heard of Radarr, but for all I know it could be the latest and greatest. Sonarr works perfect for me, so I don't have any motivation to change.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Sonarr was a couch potato replacement too? Or I guess, what exactly was couch potato? Never used it.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Hmm, I thought Sonarr could do movies too, it just sucked at searching IPT, which is my only source.