Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Why will there be an inflection point?

Some combination of the following will happen:

- We will limit the speed of transmission of the virus through constraining interpersonal contact (and hopefully vaccination, in the long run), allowing the natural resolution of cases to exceed new cases
- So many people will be infected (not immune) that there aren't enough available uninfected targets to create new infections

Herd immunity is a relevant thing, but it applies after the pandemic is over, usually in the context of vaccination. Short of vaccination, there's some reason to think that people can be reinfected after recovery. Herd immunity from previous infection may not be a reliable thing.

"A woman working as a tour bus guide was reinfected with the coronavirus, testing positive after having recovered from an earlier infection"

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Will be interesting to see what restaurants will be doing to start instituting takeout services.

There's not much collective upside to stopping a food business from running and providing customers with food. It's basically a public service and has constrained risk of infection.
yea but it's not like restaurants are stocked to go from a full restaurant to take out only...

unless they say you can come in and buy a meal, but bring your own tupperware.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I'm pretty interested to see what capability the USA has to dramatically increase the manufacturing of ventilators. Like, is it really just a pump with a mask?

I could make one of these out of the spare parts I have in my basement, lol.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
yea but it's not like restaurants are stocked to go from a full restaurant to take out only...

unless they say you can come in and buy a meal, but bring your own tupperware.
Would be interesting to track the demand of these goods.

Amazon product ASIN B004NG8B7Q
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Dart-85HT3R-Perforated-Hinged-Container/dp/B004NG8B7Q

They look sold out on amazon with a bunch of priced gouged alternatives.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Because we are taking actions to prevent Italian levels, not be on par with them.
Its almost like the actions taken dont really matter is it? The actions to avoid becoming Italy is to have more treatment capacity.

One of the following will happen:

- We will limit the speed of transmission of the virus through constraining interpersonal contact, allowing the natural resolution of cases to exceed new cases
- So many people will be infected (not immune) that there aren't enough available uninfected targets to create new infections
How is that second point a reasonable statement? People arent all going to get sick at once, some will become immune while others get infected. We will never reach a level where too many people are sick at once for this thing to slow down its spread.

• 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
This is all throrycrafting that can be taken to the other thread. I simply answered because I was asked a question. Furthering it can go over there. Its a good talking point for sure.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Shouldn't those numbers be as percentage of total population?

And I'm assuming the Italy data "from the future" is just present day data time shifted to show how our curve lines up with theres?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Shouldn't those numbers be as percentage of total population?

And I'm assuming the Italy data "from the future" is just present day data time shifted to show how our curve lines up with theres?
Its not a percentage. 2 people infect 4 infect 8 infect 16 and so on (not accounting for superspreaders obviously). Infection doesnt spread to a percentage of population, it spreads by discrete units which is what is being shown.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Its not a percentage. 2 people infect 4 infect 8 infect 16 and so on (not accounting for superspreaders obviously). Infection doesnt spread to a percentage of population, it spreads by discrete units which is what is being shown.

Higher population won't have an effect unless it reaches saturation and plateaus.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Would be interesting to track the demand of these goods.

Amazon product ASIN B004NG8B7Q
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Dart-85HT3R-Perforated-Hinged-Container/dp/B004NG8B7Q

They look sold out on amazon with a bunch of priced gouged alternatives.
for stores or for ppl? cuz ppl could just use any tupperware.

in fact, the gov'ts should put the onus on the customers to bring their own tupperware since they've effectively killed all restaurant business and turned them into fast food take out specials

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

1584400526804.png

The link is to a presentation from Harvard University by Professor Xihong Lin from the Department of Biostatistics and the Broad Institute. It describes Wuhan’s strategies for protecting healthcare workers. Although some internal healthcare workers from Wuhan were infected before adequate protective equipment was deployed, including tragically Dr. Li Wenliang, none of the 42,000 external healthcare workers sent from other parts of China were infected. Important points (slides 55-56):

• Full gear is protective suit, medical goggles, cap, face shield, mask, and gloves when seeing possible COVID cases who are showing symptoms.
  • Possible COVID cases are seen in designated clinics, instead of in the emergency room or PCP offices, to prevent healthcare workers and other patients from being infected.
  • 42,000 external healthcare workers were surged from other parts of China to Wuhan. Using the full protective gear, none were infected.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

I'm pretty interested to see what capability the USA has to dramatically increase the manufacturing of ventilators. Like, is it really just a pump with a mask?

I could make one of these out of the spare parts I have in my basement, lol.

It's a little more involved than that, see cjunky's comment. Another huge problem with a homemade vent is that if the positive pressure is too great, you risk causing trauma to the lungs and causing ARDS (or worsening ARDS if COVID has already caused it.) Lungs are exquisitely sensitive to everything; they're not like other organs that can heal or create workarounds for themselves if you give them TLC.

I did my nursing CEUs for COVID-19 tonight; we have been instructed to treat it as an A+C+D (Airborne/Contact/Droplet) precaution wombo combo. This means, in theory, that US health care workers should now be using similar PPE to what they were/are using in Wuhan if they are following CDC guidelines.

If you do get sick and you must go to a health care facility, make sure you warn your doctor or the paramedics in advance so that they can get precautions set up before you arrive at the office or hospital. If you are only mildly ill, stay home unless you start having emergent symptoms like difficulty breathing.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That is going to be a smash hit and will likely lead to it being a thing forever moving forward.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
If you do get sick and you must go to a health care facility, make sure you warn your doctor or the paramedics in advance so that they can get precautions set up before you arrive at the office or hospital. If you are only mildly ill, stay home unless you start having emergent symptoms like difficulty breathing.

I cannot stress this enough. We have tents outside our emergency department where we mass triage patients with acute respiratory disorders, regardless of travel. DO NOT go to the hospital unless you are feeling short of breath or you cannot take fluids for longer than a day. If you decide to call 911, let them know the symptoms before paramedics come in without masks.

If you've a fever, take tylenol and motrin combined and then alternate the two. Drink lots and lots of WATER (not tea nor coffee, limit sugar) and electrolytes.

The CDC is decreasing its isolation precautions BECAUSE WE ARE OUT OF MASKS. It IS by definition AIRBORNE, DROPLET, and CONTACT. This means you need an N95, eyewear, gown, booties, and a buffon. We are reusing our N95s as well as PAPRs because of the shortage. Meaning, we are walking into YOUR room with droplets and particles from another patient.

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users