Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Like, is it really just a pump with a mask?

Depends on what they mean by 'ventilator'.

'Pump with a mask' is not typically referred to as a 'ventilator' in the medical world.

'Pump with a mask' is typically seen as either a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) or a BiPAP (Bi-Level Positive Airway Pressure) machine.

These are mask devices that assist with breathing by aiding the person's inspired ventilation pressure and also help the person maintain the natural expiratory ventilation pressure to guard against natural lung collapse. I will skip the boring details, but what it essentially boils down to is that the person breathes on their own, but these devices 'assist' their own breathing.

'Pump with mask' devices do not fully ventilate you, they merely boost your own natural ventilations. You have to have your own natural ventilations in order for a 'pump with a mask' to be able to help you.

--------

Ventilators (in the sense that I know the word) on the other hand do exactly that. They fully ventilate a person. These are for when a person cannot ventilate themselves at all in any way shape or form. When it is no longer required that we 'help' or 'assist' your ventilations, but when we actually have to fully ventilate you %100 all the way. In other words, without a ventilator, you don't breathe at all.

True 'ventilators', in the sense that I know and work with them, require a person to either be intubated (tube in your throat) or to have a tracheostomy (hole in your neck).

When I 'ventilate' a person I am not 'assisting' them to breathe. I am actually breathing for them all the way. Every single breath they take does not come from them but actually comes from me.

-------

But then we all have to remember one simple word: 'media'.

We are seeing the word 'ventilator' used in the realm of the media. What do they mean when they use the word 'ventilator'? Who fucking knows.

Do they mean CPAP or BiPAP? Do they mean actual Ventilators? Do they mean both? Does a single one of them even have a clue what the difference is? Unknown. The safe bet, as we all learned from GG (if not before) is that these people live in a bubble of pure stupid in San Francisco or New York and have literally no idea how the actual world functions.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I cannot stress this enough. We have tents outside our emergency department where we mass triage patients with acute respiratory disorders, regardless of travel. DO NOT go to the hospital unless you are feeling short of breath or you cannot take fluids for longer than a day. If you decide to call 911, let them know the symptoms before paramedics come in without masks.

If you've a fever, take tylenol and motrin combined and then alternate the two. Drink lots and lots of WATER (not tea nor coffee, limit sugar) and electrolytes.

The CDC is decreasing its isolation precautions BECAUSE WE ARE OUT OF MASKS. It IS by definition AIRBORNE, DROPLET, and CONTACT. This means you need an N95, eyewear, gown, booties, and a buffon. We are reusing our N95s as well as PAPRs because of the shortage. Meaning, we are walking into YOUR room with droplets and particles from another patient.

+1

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Further piggyback: masks are better at outbound protection than inbound protection (i.e. they are more effective when placed on sick patients to prevent spread rather than healthy people as a "filter".) If you are healthy and not caring for a sick family member who is a known positive, stop fucking buying masks so that people in the trenches like Kuriin have what they need.

To clinical people from us pencil-pushers over on the insurance side: You're doing God's work; thank you.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 254622

The link is to a presentation from Harvard University by Professor Xihong Lin from the Department of Biostatistics and the Broad Institute. It describes Wuhan’s strategies for protecting healthcare workers. Although some internal healthcare workers from Wuhan were infected before adequate protective equipment was deployed, including tragically Dr. Li Wenliang, none of the 42,000 external healthcare workers sent from other parts of China were infected. Important points (slides 55-56):

• Full gear is protective suit, medical goggles, cap, face shield, mask, and gloves when seeing possible COVID cases who are showing symptoms.
  • Possible COVID cases are seen in designated clinics, instead of in the emergency room or PCP offices, to prevent healthcare workers and other patients from being infected.
  • 42,000 external healthcare workers were surged from other parts of China to Wuhan. Using the full protective gear, none were infected.

Frustrating times.

This is good information on it's surface but I have a huge problem believing any data and/or advice coming out of China, especially from our elite Universities which have been taking insanely huge sums of money (illegally) from foreign actors. I'm not saying this information shouldn't be followed, but that it could easily be part of a broad propaganda campaign that China's gotten over the peak in a way consistent with western values. They could have easily surged 62,000 external healthcare works and disappeared the 20,000 that did get infected.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you've a fever, take tylenol and motrin combined and then alternate the two. Drink lots and lots of WATER (not tea nor coffee, limit sugar) and electrolytes.
I'm not a medical professional but I'm hearing that motrin/ibuprofen is contraindicated for covid

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
White House is going live with a Task Force update at 11:30 EST

Please tell tenants how they are supposed to pay landlords. And tell landlords how they are supposed to satisfy mortgages.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Florida shut down bars and nightclubs, restaurant allowed to have up to 50% capacity. Some places have closed beaches (Miami, key West) but not most

Pops

chart.jpg

The shelter in place slowed it down in Italy.

Vinen

God is dead
Florida shut down bars and nightclubs, restaurant allowed to have up to 50% capacity. Some places have closed beaches (Miami, key West) but not most

Sad. Should just shut it down and ban people from going to beaches.

The faster we do the needful the faster everyone can reopen. Fuck people who went on spring break.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's almost like it follows all the mathematical models that no one ever believes

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's almost like it follows all the mathematical models that no one ever believes

it's probably because mathematics has been proven time and again to be the work of pagan blood magic.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users