Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>

The theory with ACE inhibitors (ARB, Angiotensin Receptor Blockers) has flipped since January. Since the SARS-CoV-2 binds to the ACE-2 receptor, the first theory to come out (and be minimally data-tested) was that these drugs may help stop infection because they block the site where the virus binds. But, as it turns out, witg a little more data drudging, they probably make things worse.

This might be bad data dredging; because if hypertension is a serious independent risk factor, it makes isolating the ARB very hard to separate out as a confounder without controlled, experiments.

Now the thinking is that because the ARB therapy likely causes uptake of these receptors in response to therapy (that people who take them actually have more ACE-2 receptors on the surface of their cells) that the virus has more targets to bind.

Therefore, if true, ARB therapies make people who may already be more likely to contract serious illness easier to infect. Like shooting fish in a barrel (in a small barrel with a lot of fish and a shotgun).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Ikea closed down this afternoon. How will I get those sweet meat balls then. In b4 suggesting genitals as substitutes.

• 1Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Spain is now enforcing their quarantine with armed police and military complete with patrols and road blocks.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Spain is now enforcing their quarantine with armed police and military complete with patrols and road blocks.
Going to be difficult to enforce quarantine in the USA. Even stories coming out about hospitals being overburdened in say, NY or WA won't dissuade lots groups of people in other parts of the country to staying home for extended periods of time.

Frankly beyond what they did in New Orleans where squad cars would roll through telling people to frig off, but not arresting anyone, I don't think the state or federal govt should do much more.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Wait, I thought ibuprofin or any NSAID was bad to take for the fevers from this and can make it worse? According to the French health minister and some youtube video on here recently.

A fever is the body's natural way of trying to fight off infection. If you can deal with a fever of 101-102 without taking an anti-pyretic, GREAT. If not, take the medication. Just remember when you are sick and have a fever, your basal metabolic rate doubles and you need to double or triple your fluid intake. This is why people come in for dehydration because they don't understand that you must drink a lot of fluids.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Last edited:

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Imperial College COVID-19 Report

Looks pretty grim no matter what we do. I pulled out some charts.

Fig1@2x.png

Fig2@2x.png

Fig3@2x.png

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Imperial College COVID-19 Report

Looks pretty grim no matter what we do. I pulled out some charts.

I kinda hoped we'd be closer to peak. Figure one is basically saying that even unmitigated, it's still 2 months away. There's no way you can keep a place like Philadelphia on house arrest for that long.

The supression strategy with peak 6+ months from now doesn't really look like an improvement or even possible?

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I kinda hoped we'd be closer to peak. Figure one is basically saying that even unmitigated, it's still 2 months away. There's no way you can keep a place like Philadelphia on house arrest for that long.

The supression strategy with peak 6+ months from now doesn't really look like an improvement or even possible?

Later in the report they modeled a strategy where you cycle the closures and social distancing measures so as not to fatigue people, but you still end up on more than off

However, as posted in the other thread, Bill Gates in the Reddit AMA commented that the numbers used in that report turned out to be too negative based on data now coming out of China and that his team is working on new projections.

I am hoping Bill Gates is right and China is not full of shit because if this report is accurate without some miracle treatment we are going to be dealing with this for a year and a half.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

If you thought you could maintain the societal restrictions for that long (I don't think so, no matter how bad your view of this outbreak), you'd presumably be building emergency treatment sites and supply stockpiles during that time.

It's hard to know what those projections are worth without a deep dig into their data and methodology.

Last edited:

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Per Governor of Oklahoma, due to the extremely limited supply of test kits, from this moment on they will only be testing those in critical conditions or in certain risk groups. That, after the confirmed cases doubled overnight.

Hoping the production of test kits is where the government seems to be implying it is.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If you thought you could maintain the societal restrictions for that long (I don't think so, no matter how bad your view of this outbreak), you'd presumably be building emergency treatment sites and supply stockpiles during that time.

It's hard to know what those projections are worth without a deep dig into their data and methodology.
I didn't post that