Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah. I consult in the paper business. This is just going to deplete inventories for a bit. Average demand isn't changing, and there's no way to ramp production on these time scales. In three weeks when everyone figures out that they're not shitting more than normal and they've just bought six months in advance, demand will drop off a cliff and inventories will restore.
hopefully thats when toilet paper prices plummet and then i can really stock up.

the deal sights will tell you the best deals you get is, $0.00253/sheet

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I was lucky that the wife and I built a new closet in our bathroom and we filled it with two costco packs of TP a week before this all started. We'll be good till July.

I have a chest freezer full of burger, salmon, ribs, two turkeys, two hams, pan fish, venison thats enough to last for a few months at least and a 50b bag of rice in the pantry. I was prepped for this without even trying it seems. I went to the farmers market a little bit ago, no one was there except vendors with a shit ton of fresh produce.

I guess I came out of this lucky in terms of readiness, even though I wasn't trying to.

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
My cousin is in Madrid, shes lived there for a a couple years and is posting non stop updates on Facebook. Shes holed up in her apartment with two roommates, they haven't left it in 4 days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
France just shutdown: no public assembly, no non-essential stores (restaurants, clothing stores, all non-food), etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I was lucky that the wife and I built a new closet in our bathroom and we filled it with two costco packs of TP a week before this all started. We'll be good till July.

I have a chest freezer full of burger, salmon, ribs, two turkeys, two hams, pan fish, venison thats enough to last for a few months at least and a 50b bag of rice in the pantry. I was prepped for this without even trying it seems. I went to the farmers market a little bit ago, no one was there except vendors with a shit ton of fresh produce.

I guess I came out of this lucky in terms of readiness, even though I wasn't trying to.
what is pan fish?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Some people do, I find they keep better flavor (and keep longer) if I fillet them, keep the skin on (to be filleted off upon thawing) put a handful of fillets in the bad and fill it with water to freeze them in a block. I law them on their sides while freezing to the freeze in stackable blocks.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
fish is not my forte, do you vac seal em and how do you thaw?

When I was a kid we went to Cape Hatteras and caught the legal limit of bluefish during a feeding frenzy (100 fish per person). After spending 10 hours cleaning the fuckers, we put the fillets on dry ice and it stayed good until we finished it six months later. My mom bought a book, "101 Ways to Cook Bluefish" and we legit tried all of them.

I still can't eat bluefish 30 years later.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Military shut down all travel of service members.

All change of station orders are delayed, all DoD hiring outside of the same town is frozen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Haven't seen this being reported here, but French health authorities are warning against the use of anti-inflammatory medication during the epidemic as it's apparently a factor for turning low symptoms patients into severe cases of coronavirus.

It could also partly explain why there are zero known deaths worldwide on 0-9 patients and only 0.2% on 10-19, because anti-inflammatory medication isn't intended for people under the age of 15.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think the panic buying emptied the stores. Our local supermarket shelves were completely wiped. I even peaked in the backroom and it was completely empty. The thing is the warehouses are not empty. Just the stores were not equipped to handle this. I think once they start to receive shipments again things will look better. That is, as long as the panic buying doesn't keep going past this weekend.

That's just my guess, I worked grocery for 13 years. We had our shelves wiped out during blizzards, and it took a week or so to get back up in stock.

That said, I've NEVER seen people resorting to buying napkins and paper towels to wipe their asses. So I don't know what the warehouse situation for that stuff is.

Wait until they realize you can wipe you ass with coffee filters.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf