Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Oh shit Sanrith said “New York” and not “New York City”. I didn’t even notice. Just goes to show you how little the rest of this state matters to me and most likely everyone else in NYC. :D

I can assure you that the rest of the state feels the same about the NYC area.

I actually listened to Cuomo's press conference today and he actually mentioned the possibility of opening different parts of the state at different times. That better damn happen, as in my neck of the woods, we are damn tired of dealing with policies made for NYC but being enforced everywhere. Doctor's offices are cutting way back on hours and some hospitals are damn near ghost towns.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I can assure you that the rest of the state feels the same feels the same about the NYC area.

I actually listened to Cuomo's press conference today and he actually mentioned the possibility of opening different parts of the state at different times. That better damn happen, as in my neck of the woods, we are damn tired of dealing with policies made for NYC but being enforced everywhere. Doctor's offices are cutting way back on hours and some hospitals are damn near ghost towns.
You are welcome for our taxes

• 1Worf
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Who else has a white collar job that has seen a marked increase in overall efficiency since everyone started working from home?

While you have the people with kids who are trying to balance that with their home office situation you also have people who have gained 2 productive hours in each work day from not having to deal with commuting and related bullshit. People are communicating better than they ever did with the 'intentional collisions' of an open floorplan office and those overly-charismatic types that spent the majority of their day just chit chatting have been exposed as superfluous.

I'm genuinely hoping that a lasting result of all this will be a fundamental retrenchment in terms of white collar work and the 'needs' for a office located in the densest part of downtown. I'd much rather use the physical office as something more akin to a private conference space that can be used for those activities which actually do benefit from in-person collaboration and otherwise have everyone work from home.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I've seen similar productivity spikes at work. I suspect people are trying to stay employed. The amount of emails firing around with everyone + managers included in a sort of "look at what I'm doing" fashion has exploded where I work.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You are welcome for our taxes
Yeah... about that. City taxes plus the lion's share of the rest of our taxes go right into the bottomless liberal pit that is NYC. Who is really fucked in the NY tax scam is Westchester and Long Island.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Who else has a white collar job that has seen a marked increase in overall efficiency since everyone started working from home?

While you have the people with kids who are trying to balance that with their home office situation you also have people who have gained 2 productive hours in each work day from not having to deal with commuting and related bullshit. People are communicating better than they ever did with the 'intentional collisions' of an open floorplan office and those overly-charismatic types that spent the majority of their day just chit chatting have been exposed as superfluous.

I'm genuinely hoping that a lasting result of all this will be a fundamental retrenchment in terms of white collar work and the 'needs' for a office located in the densest part of downtown. I'd much rather use the physical office as something more akin to a private conference space that can be used for those activities which actually do benefit from in-person collaboration and otherwise have everyone work from home.
We used to joke about this back when I worked for a large unnamed mega-corp. No one wanted to work from home because since everyone assumes you are screwing off you actually work harder than you would work in the office just to make sure no one thinks you are screwing off.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I mentioned it elsewhere but Dell had a goal that 50% will be WFH by 2020 and didn't hit that... But now 97% of the company is WFH. I feel way more productive.personally. I am certain that the company will reevaluate the need for physical locations.

For my job i only need to physically be there if I need to move hardware around - either for testing or reconfiguring a server. That's like 1% of the time..

• 1Like

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
I think the claims and observation of increased productivity people are making are legit, but I’ll chalk it up to the Hawthorne effect more than it being a better business model. Yes there are some people that will do just fine working from home, people that are responsible and don’t need micromanaging. The people that aren’t responsible are only fine now because they’re in that observation period, but their productivity will fade as they become more and more comfortable and being home becomes the norm.

My father worked for a consulting company of 3300ish employees. He was made a senior VP when he was about 48 or so....I was just starting college. While he still traveled 20+ weeks a year, when he wasn’t on the road he worked from home instead of the office. He did 90% of his work from a lay-z-boy recliner he with a monitor mounted to the wall next to him. This is also where he took naps. He did most of his conference calls poolside wearing swim trunks and sunglasses and drinking a rum and coke. When he got his position his boss told him regarding sick leave/vacation: “you take as much time off as you need to maintain your sanity.” I’m sure this is standard practice, but I thought that was amazing when I heard it.

Those are privileges that can only be given to people that have proven they are responsible, hard working, diligent, etc etc. giving that freedom to everyone with a job that can be done from home would result in a lot of people taking advantage and ruining it for everyone else. I guess it would be an effective way to weed out the useless people?

Leon

<Silver Donator>
My boss has this old school mentality that 'if you don't have to be on site, the company will decide you're not usefull'

It's so fucking stupid and there's no point in arguing because he's set in his ways. He normally allow us to WFH 1 day a week, our work can be done remote 99 percent of the time unless hardware has to be replaced on campus.

I hope this sheds a light on how stupid and old fashioned those ideas are. Working from home 5 days a week is the way if your job allows it. Fuck commuting, and fuck packing people in tight spaces.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My boss has this old school mentality that 'if you don't have to be on site, the company will decide you're not usefull'

It's so fucking stupid and there's no point in arguing because he's set in his ways. He normally allow us to WFH 1 day a week, our work can be done remote 99 percent of the time unless hardware has to be replaced on campus.

I hope this sheds a light on how stupid and old fashioned those ideas are. Working from home 5 days a week is the way if your job allows it. Fuck commuting, and fuck packing people in tight spaces.
I think a lot of bosses are.like that. The defense industry must be having a fuck of a time with all this

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I think a lot of bosses are.like that. The defense industry must be having a fuck of a time with all this
You have no idea...plus all the video enabled services they provided they stated won't run on our laptops so they told us to use our personal machines, but we can't discuss any work related things while on our personal machines...

• 1Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You have no idea...plus all the video enabled services they provided they stated won't run on our laptops so they told us to use our personal machines, but we can't discuss any work related things while on our personal machines...
I have a friend that works 100% on Secret stuff so he's in the locked room, fully populated, all day. I remember when I tried to work from home once and they told me I couldn't code because clearcase over vpn was too slow. I knew then they'd never be able to handle mass WFH

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I have a friend that works 100% on Secret stuff so he's in the locked room, fully populated, all day. I remember when I tried to work from home once and they told me I couldn't code because clearcase over vpn was too slow. I knew then they'd never be able to handle mass WFH
Yea, sucks for people real hard who are working the SCIF life and only doing TS stuff.

Molten Core Raider
Bummer, email back from the bank last night, no free business money for my wifes business :(.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers