Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah... about that. City taxes plus the lion's share of the rest of our taxes go right into the bottomless liberal pit that is NYC. Who is really fucked in the NY tax scam is Westchester and Long Island.
I seem to recall that NYC sends more money to Albany than what it receives back.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
You have no idea...plus all the video enabled services they provided they stated won't run on our laptops so they told us to use our personal machines, but we can't discuss any work related things while on our personal machines...
Lol. Do not miss working in DoD. Thoughts and prayers Z

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My boss has this old school mentality that 'if you don't have to be on site, the company will decide you're not usefull'

It's so fucking stupid and there's no point in arguing because he's set in his ways. He normally allow us to WFH 1 day a week, our work can be done remote 99 percent of the time unless hardware has to be replaced on campus.

I hope this sheds a light on how stupid and old fashioned those ideas are. Working from home 5 days a week is the way if your job allows it. Fuck commuting, and fuck packing people in tight spaces.

In the business I work in for the most part if you are not required to be on site you get contracted out to someone half a country away and they have to bid for their work. I was lucky in that I worked at home on contract for a number of years before going to college. Pre internet days I just sent drawings in via USPS or FedEx.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I like working from home because one of my minions talks like people chat online

you never know when the conversation is finished

there are 2-5s pauses

and then another inane thought comes rumbling out of his mouth

can I work yet? please shutup

Amazingly enough, I complained to the new owners about this guy and the process of replacing him that got started before all this shit is still going forward. I for sure expected that to get iced.

I understand both sides of the coin. I try my hardest to keep myself focused, but even at work, it's too easy to distract yourself on a computer. 90% of the people reading this are the exact same, there's a reason this board is a ghost town outside of normal work hours. But I also appreciate the ~1 per day I've gotten back not having to deal with commuting and "being social".

I still think it's really hard to replace "hey, can you just come over here and look at my screen?".

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I like working from home because one of my minions talks like people chat online

you never know when the conversation is finished

there are 2-5s pauses

and then another inane thought comes rumbling out of his mouth

can I work yet? please shutup

Amazingly enough, I complained to the new owners about this guy and the process of replacing him that got started before all this shit is still going forward. I for sure expected that to get iced.

I understand both sides of the coin. I try my hardest to keep myself focused, but even at work, it's too easy to distract yourself on a computer. 90% of the people reading this are the exact same, there's a reason this board is a ghost town outside of normal work hours. But I also appreciate the ~1 per day I've gotten back not having to deal with commuting and "being social".

I still think it's really hard to replace "hey, can you just come over here and look at my screen?".
Nah, just tell them to share screen in skype or webex and proceed like normal.

• 1Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Its fucking insane. With property taxes in my village running 13k and up, its insane the number of people I meet who "can't be bothered grieving their property taxes each year", I grieve that shit like clockwork each year and win every time.

For those who don't understand what I mean by grieving your property taxes, Google Nassau County NY Property tax grievance process And history.
Is this similar to protesting the value?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm tolerating working remotely but being in sales things are usually way easier in person. I'm typically traveling and visiting clients/prospects on-site constantly. This is the longest I've gone without being at an airport in years.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, or the DEO now has a tool to let you see how many unemployment claims have been submitted, verified, processed, and paid.

More than 1.5 million claims have been submitted.

Nearly 650,000 have been verified.

More than 162,000 have been processed.

40,000 claims have been paid so far.

It totals to nearly 60 million paid out so far.

So less than 3% of claims in Florida are actually getting money at this time. Less than half are even counted

• 1Cringe

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Also as of last week 807 people had died this year in Florida to car accidents. 460 to Covid.

• 1Picard
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 1 users

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cool, but we agree that flattening the curve was just to "slow the spread" so the wuhbanic plague deaths are you just going to come in slower now?

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cool, but we agree that flattening the curve was just to "slow the spread" so the wuhbanic plague deaths are you just going to come in slower now?

Unless there is a vaccination made available in the next few months, likely. It will run out of headline (media) steam and we'll be on to the next sensation. Folks will still die to it, unfortunately. But slowing things now COULD lead to a lot less death in the future *if* that vaccination comes.

• 1Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 users