Coronavirus Updates, Important Information, and Ancedotal Experience

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Unless there is a vaccination made available in the next few months, likely. It will run out of headline (media) steam and we'll be on to the next sensation. Folks will still die to it, unfortunately. But slowing things now COULD lead to a lot less death in the future *if* that vaccination comes.
Essentially no chance a vaccine is available until next year. Even the end of the year would be unprecedented

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
Unless there is a vaccination made available in the next few months, likely. It will run out of headline (media) steam and we'll be on to the next sensation. Folks will still die to it, unfortunately. But slowing things now COULD lead to a lot less death in the future *if* that vaccination comes.

All jokes aside, who here is signing up for the first round of "safe" vaccines for themselves or their families? And if not how long would you wait until you were comfortable?

I'm 40 my wife is 38, our children's average age is 6. Family would be considered in the very healthy range. I ask you my fellow RNG nerds, do I roll my dice on the Corona chan or hole up until there a vaccine that rewards out ways the risks?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Early vaccines will be limited supply and deployed for at risk groups first. A requirement will be getting an antibody test since there's no point in wasting a vaccine on someone who already survived it and has the antibodies.

For younger people/families there's a chance all of you had it without knowing.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm still not sure if I didn't have it already. Mid February when I was still in and out of doctors office and hospitals multiple times a week I got pretty bad off. It felt like someone was beating on my abdomen and arms with a baseball bat. My lymph nodes swole up pretty big and hurt like hell. I had a pretty bad shortness of breath to the point I would stop walking to the other end of the house and just sit down for 30 minutes to try and catch up. I could barely move. I would get up sit in my computer chair and only move if I had to go to the bathroom. It hurt bad. Hurt bad considering all the other stuff I have been through as of late. I put off going to the ER because I had a doctors appointment the following week. I made it through but it was rough. I've never had the flu. Week later it improved and two weeks later I was back to about 90%. It was bad enough I went two weeks without even posting here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Yea, basically everyone on my team was deathly-ill in Jan and early Feb, I'd say it's pretty likely we've already been exposed to this. And you're seeing a lot of studies now that say the infection rate is 30-50-75 fold higher than reported.

iannis

Musty Nester
A more measured approach would have been better. That's not hindsight.

For the positive of this approach, simply keeping the hospitals below capacity itself limits the deathtoll of the virus. It's not that we should have done nothing, that's also the wrong response. But that hypersensitive status comes with a built in expiration date. It's a short term measure not sustainable in the long term. All the yellow ribbons in the world aren't enough to make it one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The preacher from Baton Rouge made the news again, he asked all the members to donate their $1200 to the church. Now he got arrested for assault with a deadly weapon trying to push or run over a protestor with his vehicle.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
All jokes aside, who here is signing up for the first round of "safe" vaccines for themselves or their families? And if not how long would you wait until you were comfortable?

I'm 40 my wife is 38, our children's average age is 6. Family would be considered in the very healthy range. I ask you my fellow RNG nerds, do I roll my dice on the Corona chan or hole up until there a vaccine that rewards out ways the risks?
I'm a pro vaccination. Shit I pretty much collect them. This is not one I would collect the first year on the market tho.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Anecdotal evidence for those familiar with Long Island. I am actually having to slow down occasionally due to traffic on the Southern Parkway again.. There is definitely an increase in car traffic on Long Island. People are basically starting to say fuck the quarantine.

For those not familiar, my normal 14 mile commute (all parkway) is about 45 minutes going the opposite way of traffic (away from NYC in the morning). Lots of brake tapping and slowing due to traffic density. Last month or so its been like 20 minutes to commute. Over 30 minutes the last couple of days due to more cars on the road.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Pre-release of serology study for LA County.

tldr; Roughly 4% of the LA population has COVID-19 antibodies. Distancing looks like it worked, but there's a lot of headroom for a second wave. Next steps must be managed carefully.

"Based on results of the first round of testing, the research team estimates that approximately 4.1% of the county's adult population has antibody to the virus. Adjusting this estimate for statistical margin of error implies about 2.8% to 5.6% of the county's adult population has antibody to the virus- which translates to approximately 221,000 to 442,000 adults in the county who have had the infection. That estimate is 28 to 55 times higher than the 7,994 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported to the county by the time of the study in early April."

Captain Suave

What's the "half life" of antibodies?

Not sure that concept quite applies, since they're generated on an ongoing basis by your immune system. Generally, once exposed your immune system will remain potent against the disease for years, if not decades or your entire life.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
It does seem low, but it's also much higher than previous estimates, and quite likely still low. They took a representative sample at six sites and extrapolated. Which is about the best you could possibly expect them to do and that's good work but it's probably still a little low taking into consideration the (I assume here, it's a big assumption) health conscious nature of subjects being tallied.

It's probably close enough to say that's fair. They wouldn't have missed it by more than a few percent.

It does show that distancing had some effect. You'd absolutely expect it to, but it's always nice to have some proof.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
And yet, the entire fucking state is on lockdown and the economy destroyed. Fucking Cuomo.

People are staying away from hospitals, urgent cares, and doctors offices in general except for the most serious stuff. A lot of offices in my area have greatly reduced hours and cut staff.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
People are staying away from hospitals, urgent cares, and doctors offices in general except for the most serious stuff. A lot of offices in my area have greatly reduced hours and cut staff.

My city started layoffs for hospital staff this week.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Captain Suave

For how infectious I've heard this disease to be, 4% seems quite low.

Yes, but LA was also one of the earliest areas to close up shop. We've been formally "staying at home" for a month, schools have been closed since 3/13, and many business were limiting activity even before that. Taking these actions a week or two earlier in the progression means cutting the penetration of the disease by as much as an order of magnitude (3+ doublings). LA is also relatively sparsely populated - it's got the largest population of any US county but is only the 56th most dense (1/25th the density of NYC).

Last edited:

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of Vaccines...

Article said:
A Phase I open-label study of mRNA-1273 is being conducted by the US National Institutes of Health (NIH). It has completed enrolment of the original study: 45 healthy adult volunteers ages 18 to 55 years in three dose cohorts (25µg, 100µg and 250µg). The NIH recently amended the Phase I protocol to include an additional six cohorts: three cohorts of older adults (ages 56 -70) and three cohorts of elderly adults (age 71 and above). Enrolment of the later cohorts is still ongoing.

Dependent on the safety data from the Phase I study, the company will begin a Phase II study of mRNA-1273 under an Investigational New Drug (IND) application in the second quarter of 2020. The enterprise stated that subject to the data from these studies and discussions with regulators, a Phase III trial could begin in autumn 2020.

BARDA funding will support these late-stage clinical development programmes, as well as the scale-up of mRNA-1273 manufacture to enable the company to meet the demand of a pandemic response.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
My company announced a global salary reduction of 20% as a result of COVID and economic effects. I suspect mine wont be the only 'white collar' type job that faces this.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
My company announced a global salary reduction of 20% as a result of COVID and economic effects. I suspect mine wont be the only 'white collar' type job that faces this.

Nope. My buds job did this. They had 5/10/20% cuts depending on your salary. They then said this could be offset with bonuses depending on how well they do in their 4th quarter. If things continue to slide they will up percentage cuts or offer packages. Seems more than reasonable.

Luckily I work in IT for a mental health provider. Hell they gave me a raise.

• 1Like