Counterpart

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Am I the only one that thinks "We knew each other when we were 8 so we should bang" was fucking stupid?

I mean, that was part of it. But I think even bigger part is "sick of living the lie, we've been in danger constantly the last little while...I'd love to just do what I want in case we're fucked soon"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

There's a lot of parallels and similar/contrasted situations that tie into that whole situation but I saw it as a continuation off of the prior episode where she actually did cook Peter asparagus (some consider it an aphrodisiac) and she remarked how it was "in season" signifying it's that time of the month where she wants to fuck and is likely going to have Spencer's kid now. Then you have the 3rd person dynamic repeatedly shown this episode via Ian's backstory as well as Peter's prior affair(s) becoming the fake Shadow cover with the secretary.

Let us not forget the irony tie in too, since Peter's call down to contraband was ignored "No one important ever calls down here" and Peter's call to Clare gets ignored "Tell Spencer I love her" as the other Spencer is fucking her since he did come to her in person rather than use a burner phone. Hell, the guard even told Peter "Stay on script" while she is going off hers. Then Other Howard's suggestion that Peter take the hidden gun and off himself which he was about to do only for the secretary to interrupt him and tell him he really is important (parallels what this side's Howard is telling Other Peter).

Whether that singular plot detail makes sense is probably not as important to the writers as showing the themes mirroring and flipping themselves. I focused on the spy game aspect of his visit and I want to know if Spencer planted a bug when he took his gloves off and picked up the picture.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
I did like the last episode, finally shit started going on. I'm disappointed they copped out though, I thought for sure Peter and Clare were gonna get murdered and that woulda been brutal but made sense, they are super weak links for whatever plan is going down. Them getting away with all this shit is more James Bond-y than the realism spycraft they have been striving for. I do like the new black lady was on top of things and expected the gun Peter to have to be filled with blanks so she could catch him (she works out a deal with Howard) but nope, we get stupid "wat my secretary is ALSO a double agent?" ... c'mon

I'm also bummed we got to see big ol black titties in the start but we never got to see Clare's titties. Goddamn it, so close yet so far especially when beardy pulls off her panties

and yeah I mis-spoke, I haven't seen the entire season just meant to say I marathoned through what was available. Still 5 episodes to go (10 total), it looks like we are gonna get more into the science/beginning of all this shit so that would be cool. Wouldn't it be fucking mind blowing if John Noble - Walter Bishop from Fringe - ends up as one of the other scientists?!?! Probably not :(

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i guess the show is on the edge of being cancelled, some of the stars are tweeting out requests for support :(

l4ynd6aqcta21.png

tbh I'm indifferent whether it gets renewed or not. I like the show, but its just too slow and a bit up its own ass for me to rate it as must-see TV, and being on Starz does it no favors. Show was off last sunday for ??, should be back this sunday?

Malakriss

They likely postponed what will be the critical back story episode a week because True Detective premiered that night.

gak

<Gold Donor>
Since they stopped showing the dyke's tits every second episode like in season 1, it's gotten so slow and boring.

If they can finish strong then we'll watch it next season if there is one, but the: "running through the office and suddenly the po-po have no idea where I am and suddenly a secretary who's in on it too finds me first and has a plan ready to go and everybody falls for it yet again so there's no payoff and this was all for nothing" schtick is brutal.

c.jpg

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That backstory episode was pretty good.

Not sure if it helps that the series is going nowhere.

• 2Like

Malakriss

So the Other Yanek is dead, but Other Mira freed Yanek who was imprisoned over there in Echo. Other Mira is the one who didn't get the tape and saved her brother, meaning that Other Yanek was the one who from the start knew to change something and smashed the tape.

Also, not dealing with your issues and fucking the parallel version of your wife evidently does not solve your problems. Yes, it is weird if the other you finds out and is into it.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah great episode, although i have no clue which person is which and what reality they live in. as far as I can tell in one world the berlin wall fell (first?) and the other one stayed commie longer but I'm not sure who is from what. Dead son I assume triggered the Berlin Wall falling sooner? The only thing I guess I can keep straight is that Yanek-with-son-dead is the one who lived, and Mira-who-watched-Yanek-with-dead-son-kill-her-Yanek is the one we've seen. Did we have any scenes ever of older Mira and her brother?

I do love that in the initial actor credits it lists a TON of twins and I was thinking "huh... thats weird" but then of course it made sense, I assume all the "founders" are twins. Thats gotta be a wild casting party.

gak

<Gold Donor>
Good episode for a change, shame it will come to a crashing halt when they get back to quayle.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
And we're back to Quayle. God I hate that fucker. After this shutdown of the passage it is getting more absurd to me how Management is able to run the organization. The Office of Interchange was, by their historical narrative, founded around the fall of the Berlin Wall and the collapse of the USSR. This would make this agency sitting on the greatest discovery in human history at minimum a Soviet enterprise. Yet it remains in control of those scientists handpicked by Jan or whatever yet they have military staff and all kinds of nonsense.

Why would the modern government of Germany/EU let the office of Interchange remain in total control of this Management group?

• 2Like

Malakriss

Did this switch to 8pm to not conflict with True Detective? Well now it conflicts with the Super Bowl tomorrow.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This show is dangerously close to completely jumping the shark.

Merrith

I actually really liked last night's episode. Get more evidence that human nature won't allow most people to resist the temptation of what the other world can offer, and all the small ways knowing how your other is different from you changes how you think about yourself. All of the Howard and Emily stuff on both sides showing all 4 what it would be like with the swaps, too.

The flu reveal was pretty predictable, as soon as it was said Mira wanted to "restore the balance" or something to that effect, it was obvious she was looking for a way to shake up the other side and reduce their population by a similar percentage.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well we finally found out how people go between the worlds outside of the Visa/Embassy Office of Interchange system! Unfortunately that makes it more convoluted than it was previously. Management has an extra Interface Room that is actually an open transfer kind of room for them to move shit across borders outside of the system. Somehow Emily has complete access to it and Management...

It also means that all of the deep agents and shit were likely moved across by this method. So either the Office knows its there and uses it outside of Management's discretion OR Management has planned all of this crap themselves.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

not many people were watching so no surprise, plus its on Starz only. Still, the show got maybe a bit too goofy in season 2, the whole management thing sounds cool on paper but when you think it through it makes absolutely no sense.

the actors contracts expired feb 1st so while they are shopping it around its unlikely it could get a pickup

ShakyJake

<Donor>

not many people were watching so no surprise, plus its on Starz only. Still, the show got maybe a bit too goofy in season 2, the whole management thing sounds cool on paper but when you think it through it makes absolutely no sense.

the actors contracts expired feb 1st so while they are shopping it around its unlikely it could get a pickup
I enjoyed it, but don't really care about the cancellation to be honest.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

I thought it was finally going somewhere so it kind of sucks that it's getting cancelled.

• 1Like