Counterpart

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm having a hard time with the direction. Feel like they're wasting away a really cool sci fi style plot device (the gate to another freaken dimension). I mean, they could do this exact show in a modern east vs west Germany setting where plastic surgery tech was amazing so they were replacing high level people with "twins" and it would play out the exact same.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well it is a low budget spy thriller with a sci-fi twist that has literally cost them $0 in sci-fi CGI. Majority of the costs are the "period piece" props and sets from the 80-90s.

spronk

FPS noob
man they really did some housecleaning with the cast

This "management is like the wizard of oz" is really weird, i hope it ends up satisfying. Not super loving the way they just hand wave away people constantly getting killed at Emily's hospital or how the black guy just wanders up to Pope's room no problems but I guess you can hand wave it with unseen murder.

All in all I like the show but it felt like a 10 episode season that could have told the same story in 4-5 episodes.

Merrith

man they really did some housecleaning with the cast

This "management is like the wizard of oz" is really weird, i hope it ends up satisfying. Not super loving the way they just hand wave away people constantly getting killed at Emily's hospital or how the black guy just wanders up to Pope's room no problems but I guess you can hand wave it with unseen murder.

All in all I like the show but it felt like a 10 episode season that could have told the same story in 4-5 episodes.

Part of me likes the slow pace, part of me wonders if it's just like you said, to stretch out too little story over too much time. Wish the final scene would have had more to it, like a secret we didn't know get revealed, etc.

spronk

FPS noob
I just hope they don't go down the obvious reveal next season, that there is only 1 management that controls both sides

i was really hoping for another Howard to walk in at the very end into the little room and reveal he's from Universe #3, but that probably is too gimmicky for this show

Merrith

I just hope they don't go down the obvious reveal next season, that there is only 1 management that controls both sides

i was really hoping for another Howard to walk in at the very end into the little room and reveal he's from Universe #3, but that probably is too gimmicky for this show

Universe #3 would be way better than only 1 management, that's for sure. You'd think there was a faction that knows about the faction that's trying to start shit between the two. Honestly how dumb are these fucks that both sides aren't getting supreme advantages out of these things 30 years in.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This show is starting to piss me off.

Calling it now. Main Howard becomes a hardass absolute monster (way worse than Other Howard ever was) with no conscience at all because of how fucked he got in all of this. Other Howard picks up the pieces of Emily like he didn't do on his own world all those years ago and goes soft.

Last edited:

Caliane

yeah. Definitely losing me a bit.

what even is happening anymore?
Characters doing stupid things.
that "management" scene. tech from the 80s(instead of 60's tech each side pretends to have), on both sides.. at the same time, in the same exact methods...

we need some answers to what characters motivations even are. What are the stakes actually?

Goatface

think they are leaving to much unexplained. the showrunner seems to love having people guess
but it is getting to the point of being overkill

still don't even know the point of the interface questions or how the rooms even work

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
think they are leaving to much unexplained. the showrunner seems to love having people guess
but it is getting to the point of being overkill

still don't even know the point of the interface questions or how the rooms even work

Now I love me some spy thriller action so here ya go.

This is a spy game trope that is common in older novels and probably borrowed from elsewhere in real life spy games. But the interface room works as thus. You are speaking a bunch of what you assume is gobbledegook to someone else. However this is known code to the other person or group. Similarly they are doing the same to you.

Now, since Howard had no fucking clue what the guy was saying they went further with this trope so that he's just annotating some shit for some other department entirely to put through the decoder ring. This is used as a way to abstract knowledge. I know some gobbledegook that may be super important but I personally don't know shit about shit.

But yeah, the showrunner seems to be trying to emulate the idea of the, "wilderness of mirrors" which I really like. But they are shit at it and aren't making it entertaining because for it to payoff there has to be more tension or knowing what actually happened.

Caliane

yeah, the room was code. but, that is part of the problem. That totally falls apart by like the second episode, when we suddenly have like 100 people going back and forth across, and in the wild on each side willy nilly.
The ease at which Other howard, the assassin, the spys, and apparently a bunch of refugees and shit swap sides completely undermines stuff like the code room.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
How does the Quayle's wife have the fucking time, while under constant surveillance and suspicion by Quayle and Howard... to personally run murder operations?

Merrith

Still a very slow burn with this show. I just want more info on the differences between the two worlds, what tech they each hide from each other, how management was formed...shit like that. Also what this super secret plot is and why it's happening (like do they have definitive proof the other side was responsible for the plague that killed off X% of the population).

velk

Trakanon Raider
How does the Quayle's wife have the fucking time, while under constant surveillance and suspicion by Quayle and Howard... to personally run murder operations?

They both spend most of the day at work, and they can't really get anyone to watch her without raising suspicion.