Crowfall

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I personally love that campaigns will end and that there will be different rule-sets. I also believe strongly in server stagnation especially in PvP based games. The battle for dominance is always much more fun than after the smoke has cleared.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I don't think he's bloating the game, he's really just spitballing here to take a temperature. Assuming they develop the game properly, changing rule sets shouldn't be all that hard. The hard part is finding good ones and not waste people's time.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I don't think he's bloating the game, he's really just spitballing here to take a temperature. Assuming they develop the game properly, changing rule sets shouldn't be all that hard. The hard part is finding good ones and not waste people's time.
And changing them on the fly if they are wasting peoples time.

Wage

Molten Core Raider
And changing them on the fly if they are wasting peoples time.
Could have a mechanic where the lower the population, the faster the Hunger spreads. Campaigns that are not popular would then quickly get reset and everyone can move on to something better.

Vitality

HUSTLE
More words from todd in response to forum cancer

Oh, wow -- I need to clarify something.

These are all separate design knobs. They aren't tied together. We intend to have different rules settings for different Campaigns WITHIN each band. Not all "Dregs" campaigns are going to be the same. The illustrations were only intended to get example settings that we think will work well together; not to say "every World in this band works exactly like this."

Again, it's about experimentation. That's why I am comfortable talking about ideas like the ones that I brought up, above -- the design architecture was specifically created to allow us to try out different options, to see what takes.
Todd

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I didn't read the question he was responding to, but I'm wary of the kickstarter-period response of, 'I see you've pointed out some valid complaints of our design. Here's a spitball design that will never happen that muddies the water enough that we don't have to have a real answer to your problem.'.

The question of, "Why would I want to redo a campaign if I've accomplished a ton in a previous campaign?" is a serious one, and "Oh you can stay in your doomed campaign forever if you play hard enough!" isn't a real answer.

Vitality

HUSTLE
The question of, "Why would I want to redo a campaign if I've accomplished a ton in a previous campaign?" is a serious one, and "Oh you can stay in your doomed campaign forever if you play hard enough!" isn't a real answer.
What would your answer to that question be Tuco?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There isn't an easy answer. The two big parts of it are:
1. The gameplay has to be fun. You can't just enjoy it because you're winning, which is true of a lot of elements in MMOs. People don't have fun camping fbss because camping fbss is fun, they're having fun because that FBSS haste yo. How many times are you going to camp a FBSS when you know you're going to lose it?
2. People need to have a reason to want to win each campaign. Both because winning the campaign gives some recognition and gives reward to their personal characters that continues indefinitely.

Another key element I don't see talked about is a break period between campaigns. In GW2 staying in the top spot against good competition was so gruelling that not having a break period of a couple days where we could reap the benefits of having won made the entire system exhausting. You can imagine the Patriots going from winning the superbowl right into post-season again. It's hard to give a crap after a few cycles of this.

A big part of game releases is the pre-release hype in the community. Where everyone hasn't had a chance to fight each other, people shit talk on forums, get their release strats together etc. Before each campaign this period should exist in some way. It might exist by pure virtue of by the time a big campaign ends all but a few guilds will have moved on from it in preparation for the next one, it all depends on the rules.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
So far I was under the impression that the Hunger cannot be beaten - that even in a campaign where everyone joins up in an attempt to survive the world gets too harsh to sustain your cities and replace gear. In essence making attrition to the Hunger the closing mechanism for every campaign where the actual victory conditions might not be met. Sounds like that isnt the case I guess.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I think my answer to world longevity would be:

1. Make it player dictated

- PRX wakes the sleeper to get the rare item that gives their guild an item that lets them craft better weapons. Sleeper destroys the world if PRX doesn't beat it. If they do the world the world enters the next season. Mobs are progressively harder, Sleepers Shade spawns which doubles in strength.

- PRX collects 100,000 bloodstones, the moon turns red and all the mobs double in strength, if other guilds do not take bloodstones from PRX the world ends within a period of time. PRX gains increased character passive xp speed while they hold the bloodmoon. Rewards for killing PRX members during the bloodmoon are doubled.

- Players can swear fealty to PRX during the bloodmoon period and exit the campaign at a reduced export rate.

-- The answer to this question is making the players WANT to end the campaign to improve their characters by a significant amount.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So far I was under the impression that the Hunger cannot be beaten - that even in a campaign where everyone joins up in an attempt to survive the world gets too harsh to sustain your cities and replace gear. In essence making attrition to the Hunger the closing mechanism for every campaign where the actual victory conditions might not be met. Sounds like that isnt the case I guess.
I think it will be. It's critical to the continuity of the game. Besides that, the group of people who are successful in a PvP campaign aren't going to be interested in fighting the hunger indefinitely.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
More Todd on campaigns

It's an interesting thought. We are definitely open to victory conditions that aren't based on the passage of time -- but here's the trick: we can't allow that condition to be exploited in a way that *really* equates to "the game ends, when Uncle Bob says it ends." Actually, that's not quite right. We could even allow that, without issue, so long as 1) the other players can leave to find another game, and 2) Uncle Bob is limited in the amount of stuff he can take from that Campaign back to the EK.

As long as those two safeguards remain in place, the system still works.

Todd
ACE
IDK why you guys are discussing game mechanics, or the campaign permanence thread when the real meat of the discussion is the "can centaurs ride mounts?" thread.

szKarGYez3-2.png

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'm not convinced exporting stuff is enough of a winning reward for the player that doesn't play import enabled campaigns.

Why would someone want to win in the dregs if all the dregs campaigns don't let you import items. Seems like a waste of time.

At that point it becomes about the trophies I guess. If the trophies are too weak there's no point, if they're too strong it's going to get cried about. Bit of a pickle.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I'm not convinced exporting stuff is enough of a winning reward for the player that doesn't play import enabled campaigns.

Why would someone want to win in the dregs if all the dregs campaigns don't let you import items. Seems like a waste of time.

At that point it becomes about the trophies I guess. If the trophies are too weak there's no point, if they're too strong it's going to get cried about. Bit of a pickle.
Because you export 20% more loot, and I think I read something about more rare mats etc dropping in Dregs than in Shadow, Infected, etc

I also am not sold on exporting loot + eternal kingdoms perks being a motivator for anything. Fortunately FFA is all the motivation I need.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Because you export 20% more loot, and I think I read something about more rare mats etc dropping in Dregs than in Shadow, Infected, etc

I also am not sold on exporting loot + eternal kingdoms perks being a motivator for anything. Fortunately FFA is all the motivation I need.
What's the point of extra loot when Dregs campaigns that you'll join after the win don't let you bring any?

Example: After a season in Path of exile my stash transfers to the standard league and a new season opens up. My standard league stash is a fucking TRASH CAN full of stuff I don't care about because I'm too busy caring about what's going on in the newest freshest Hardcore league.

The only thing I care about is topping the ladder. And that gets old after the first few weeks and the newest freshest league stagnates a month in. Literally no reason to win other than epeen at that point and it sucks.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Draegan stop spending time editing the interview and publishing it so you can give updates and information about the interview!