Dark Alliance (Drizzt and co in Icewind Dale)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So it could be okay I guess, but man the combat and movement is just so janky.

Crashing out after every single match is super obnoxious. That can be fixed.

Combat though, not so much.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It's really depressing that this one turned out bad, because I think we were all looking forward to it and giving it the benefit of the doubt. Such a waste of one of the greatest licenses ever.

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So after the first two zones it opens up and you have a choice of three different zones which each need to be completed, in any order, to open up 6th zone. During all of those 5 you can run it at Challenge Rating 1 which corresponds to gear score 1000 and drops level 1-2 gear.

At the 6th zone it does go up such that CR1 is 1250 (same as CR2 for the previous zones) but still drops level 1-2 gear.

Soloing a 1250, even with 1500+ gear score , is just fucking annoying. Everything is fairly chill until you get to a troll or a verbeeg and a single swipe annihilates your health bar.

I ended up joining rando-queue at that point to get some level 3 gear in the hopes that I could outgear the issue and continue on, but as people have noticed the network code for this by-design heavily co-op game is god awful.

I should note that in the rando mission there was a comical amount of 'rezzing'. I only went down twice since I was playing Catie-Brie (it forces you to switch to a character not yet played in the session you connect to) but the others each went down 17-22 times. It was like a vaudeville slapstick routine.

Who the fuck signed off on this?!?

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So after the first two zones it opens up and you have a choice of three different zones which each need to be completed, in any order, to open up 6th zone. During all of those 5 you can run it at Challenge Rating 1 which corresponds to gear score 1000 and drops level 1-2 gear.

At the 6th zone it does go up such that CR1 is 1250 (same as CR2 for the previous zones) but still drops level 1-2 gear.

Soloing a 1250, even with 1500+ gear score , is just fucking annoying. Everything is fairly chill until you get to a troll or a verbeeg and a single swipe annihilates your health bar.

I ended up joining rando-queue at that point to get some level 3 gear in the hopes that I could outgear the issue and continue on, but as people have noticed the network code for this by-design heavily co-op game is god awful.

I should note that in the rando mission there was a comical amount of 'rezzing'. I only went down twice since I was playing Catie-Brie (it forces you to switch to a character not yet played in the session you connect to) but the others each went down 17-22 times. It was like a vaudeville slapstick routine.

Who the fuck signed off on this?!?
We went to CR2 for our 2nd map, and it was super easy up until the boss. Then it became a clown show. I died 37 times. Half the movesets had 0 tells and would one shot you. I don't know how anyone could test that and think it made sense.

It essentially became a cheese fest as we had to stun lock him by knocking him down over and over, do damage, and hope you can dodge out before he had a miracle one shot as he was getting up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Wtf are you people still playing this?

• 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean, we played it on the first day to see if the negatives were overblown. They weren't. We likely won't play again.

If we do, it's because the gaming industry fucking sucks ass and there aren't any new games to play. For some reason they decided to backload them all into October.

• 2Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff

It's less messy than self-cutting...

At this point I want to see if there is any light at the end of the tunnel. I unlocked additional abilities via the Move tree (spoiler alert -- if something on the Move tree doesn't have a guide as to how to trigger it that means it replaces one of your action skills) to see if they were of greater utility than the original two. Nope. They would work we in an 'as well as' point of view but not at all in an 'instead of' scenario.

I figure there is a chance once you get past the initial power-level bump things even out in terms of stats and power vs difficulty. Having the first two difficulty ratings hand out the same gear is just dumb given that doing the 'rank 2' content in all 'rank 2' gear is a death sentence.

• 1Worf

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
We went to CR2 for our 2nd map, and it was super easy up until the boss. Then it became a clown show. I died 37 times. Half the movesets had 0 tells and would one shot you. I don't know how anyone could test that and think it made sense.

It essentially became a cheese fest as we had to stun lock him by knocking him down over and over, do damage, and hope you can dodge out before he had a miracle one shot as he was getting up.

Test?

Hamburgers?

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm still going to give this a whirl. I'm sure I'll ragret it. There are so many better things I could be playing. But I really like the look of this game visually, and I have a tendency of finding the good in unpopular things. If I tap out after one day, then so it goes. I'll pop in with thoughts. Too bad I'm not a streamer, feels like this game would be a lot more worth playing if you were getting some stream fodder from it.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It is absolutely better with people...which makes their horrific net code even more sus.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you want to progress quickly solo just to see more of the maps or unlock a full build on somebody, play Catti-Brie. First mission, I farmed the first item chest on CR6 until it dropped like 5 of the 8 slots, then I finished it on CR1 and got all the items which were L4-5. Second mission I ran at CR4 right out of the gate and I leveled from 2 to 6 at the end. Killing shit with her is trivially easy, you just hold LT to aim, then charge RT and fire the shots into the ground. It creates a massive AE that kills trash in 1-2 shots and bosses don't stand a chance either.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'm not having any of these extreme net code issues

I am having to res people 11 times tho, lots of carrying

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wait, you can change the difficulty mid run?
No. It goes like this:

1. Set mission 1 act 1 to CR6.
2. Enter the portal.
3. Run to the first chest on the right, grab the gold. Go back past the flame sword to refresh warmth buff and run to the item chest up the slope to the left side. Loot that too, then immediately exit to camp.
4. Repeat 1-3 until you have drops for at least 5 or 6 of the gear slots. Epic or legendary weapon ideally too.
5. Set the map to CR1 and complete it normally.
6. Profit. All the drops you got at CR6 will remain L4-5 when you open the reward chest.

It's an exploit of course. The game says it's going to flush whatever loot you got when you exit to camp, but it actually saves everything.

Catti-Brie firing into the ground is probably a bug too, but solo game balance is so ridiculously broken in favor of the enemies that I have no idea how you'd progress without using it. Playing normally on CR1, even the boss of M1A2 is already fucking insane. The other pro for playing the game with just bow attacks is you don't really notice how shitty the melee combat is. Lock-on camera angle and FOV change was an instant NOPE when I tried Drizzt.

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm not having any of these extreme net code issues

I am having to res people 11 times tho, lots of carrying
Yesterday we had played most of the day and had one net issue where after we beat the mission, during the tally screen it basically froze and sent half of us back to the boss room and while the other half just stayed at the tally screen. We had to alt-f4 the game and restart but only the host actually got credit for anything so we had to redo the mission. That was irritating.

Other than stability seemed totally fine. Something hinky was going on with the chef boss I think though because he was one shotting us but on my screen it looked like he wasn't in any kind of attack animation.

• 1Worf

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
What kind of weapons can I apply the preorder skins to?

Do does "frenzy" do exactly? Or Stalwart or precision strikes? I have a general idea but...

Last edited: