Dark Alliance (Drizzt and co in Icewind Dale)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
it's $40 for the base game, deluxe edition is $60 and comes with some weapon skins and the $20 DLC.

Anyone know if the DLC is worth it? I'll probably skip it unless it's must-play, like if it continues the story.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Obviously it's hard to say whether it's worth or not at this point... But they are releasing 2 free dlc's that will add 3 extra levels and story, and then the paid dlc will add an extra playable characters (all we know is it is a wizard type character) and more story, but I don't think they said exactly how much extra story. But it seems like they are planning the first free dlc during the summer, the second in early fall and the paid dlc in late fall

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Targeting / facing and getting animation locked was my issue playing Wulfgar. Cattie Brie was much much easier as a pure ranged class though her 'melee' bow attacks were silly as the animation would have her firing an arrow that collision wise should have hit things but didn't as they were just outside melee range.

Raising stats does the solid of showing you what game stats improve with each point, but this also serves to illustrate how the D&D base stats are not really being used here. Added a point to my Strength and it increased my health more than adding a point to my Constitution did.

Tried all four characters and Drizzt was the easiest by far. Wulfgar and Bruennor are essentially the same character in terms of everything but special moves, but the cooldown' on those is long enough that you very rarely get it use them. Perhaps they get more different after you pay gold to unlock the additional basic moves.

Last edited:

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Ok, so will you gentlemen that played, say that it's a definite pickup? Have lasting value, etc?

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I probably would not have gotten it were it not for GamePass. That having been said it looks like a blast to play with buds.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Targeting / facing and getting animation locked was my issue playing Wulfgar. Cattie Brie was much much easier as a pure ranged class though her 'melee' bow attacks were silly as the animation would have her firing an arrow that collision wise should have hit things but didn't as they were just outside melee range.

Raising stats does the solid of showing you what game stats improve with each point, but this also serves to illustrate how the D&D base stats are not really being used here. Added a point to my Strength and it increased my health more than adding a point to my Constitution did.

Tried all four characters and Drizzt was the easiest by far. Wulfgar and Bruennor are essentially the same character in terms of everything but special moves, but the cooldown' on those is long enough that you very rarely get it use them. Perhaps they get more different after you pay gold to unlock the additional basic moves.

If Drizzt is the easiest and the dorf is on the slow side, I'll probably go with Drizzt. From a story perspective I kinda have to anyway. Just a few more days! I also need to defeat Weiss in FFVII-R before that. So close to being done with that game. Trying to focus on one at a time now.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The animation locking and targeting/camera controls are such that you spend most of your time fighting with the UX instead of the monsters. This is especially frustrating in the second level where there is poison everywhere and half the mobs explode on death because 'reasons'

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The animation locking and targeting/camera controls are such that you spend most of your time fighting with the UX instead of the monsters. This is especially frustrating in the second level where there is poison everywhere and half the mobs explode on death because 'reasons'

Think this was one of my big problems with Outriders too, inadvertent/sticky targeting stuff.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Was about to DL the PC version too, but I don't see a Play Anywhere tag on it so I guess it's not worth the bother. Anyone heard that cross-save will actually be a feature? I know it's supposed to support cross-platform coop, but at the moment the game's product listing only mentions "Xbox Live Cross-Gen Multiplayer" so maybe the listing isn't complete yet.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Overall controls are awkward. Combat feels clunky and sluggish. Not intuitive at all or expected standards of the format. Targeting is sorta shitty, but non-target style is worse. Not really an autotarget system and the controls are shit, so gets annoying.

Was hoping for something like the shadows or mordor game that was smooth and reactive and seems the standard these days. Instead, this game your right thumb needs to constantly be on the thumbstick to camera/point/aim, and it's clunky, but also need to hit b button to dodge, or hit x for power strikes. So, your thumb is doing too much work and feels spazzy and like you're constantly needing to do something else. No way my girlfriend could play this as a casual gamer.

Requiring both sticks for basic movement (instead of occasional right stick for camera look or targeting) feels archaic and clunky, but maybe others are used to it?

Graphics are meh. Not good enough or stylized enough to be interesting. To me, look very dated or mobile era in style.

Camp as basically a lobby isn't too off putting, but silly things like you select your destination on the map, but instead of porting there you have to run to a spot in camp where it then ports you. Why? Just lazy and inexplicable game design. Same with mission: Port in, run a little, then a tutorial screen, then run into mission area. Just weird design decisions.

Just feels uninspired overall, but maybe gets good enough to overlook nitpicks. Can't beat free on Game Pass, though.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

I'd advise skipping to 13:53 since everything else is pretty irrelevant once you hear what the gameplay is like.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Was about to DL the PC version too, but I don't see a Play Anywhere tag on it so I guess it's not worth the bother. Anyone heard that cross-save will actually be a feature? I know it's supposed to support cross-platform coop, but at the moment the game's product listing only mentions "Xbox Live Cross-Gen Multiplayer" so maybe the listing isn't complete yet.

It does not support cross platform coop.... I know. Probably the stupidest thing in the world.

After watching the reviews another gamepass fucking bust. :(

Completely busted Z-Axis.... Seriously.... Was this developed on the Tanarus engine? :p

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
i just want couch coop for my games. i want to play more games with my wife.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
i just want couch coop for my games. i want to play more games with my wife.

Yeah this doesn't have that either.

I mean seriously what did they do here?

* Quite literally used FOV for camera zoom. WHAT?
* No Couch Coop
* No Cross Platform Coop
* Broken Z-Axis.... Really!? I didn't even know this was possible to do any longer.
* Bugs upon Bugs upon More Bugs

And now we know why it's free on Gamepass. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Gamepass for playing games I wouldn't touch anyway - but when something like this happens along with most everything else released on it, it keeps reminding me over and over again that mediocre shit continues to get released for this as a way to pay a subscription for either broken titles or to seed GaaS for MTX, or the base game for DLC purchases.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users