Dark Alliance (Drizzt and co in Icewind Dale)

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah this doesn't have that either.

I mean seriously what did they do here?

* Quite literally used FOV for camera zoom. WHAT?
* No Couch Coop
* No Cross Platform Coop
* Broken Z-Axis.... Really!? I didn't even know this was possible to do any longer.
* Bugs upon Bugs upon More Bugs

And now we know why it's free on Gamepass. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Gamepass for playing games I wouldn't touch anyway - but when something like this happens along with most everything else released on it, it keeps reminding me over and over again that mediocre shit continues to get released for this as a way to pay a subscription for either broken titles or to seed GaaS for MTX, or the base game for DLC purchases.
No games really offer couch coop. Tsushima doesnt. upcomming gotham knights again no couch coop.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Don't think I'm gonna cancel. I loved Cyberpunk PC even without whatever patch it was despite the doom and gloom. I'll give it my own review and assessments.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
God damn that's bad. It's crazy the amount of games that come out that are this bad in the last few years.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jdfording

Trakanon Raider
Only couch co-op games I've played in recent memory are Gears of War which are all couch co-op and It Takes Two which is a masterpiece. A Way Out is also couch co-op.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well now I want to play the game after listening to this dumb shit gush over it.
Ain't nobody gushing about this turd. ACG is about 40/60 on pros and cons until you hit the timestamp I mentioned and then it goes straight into the shitter.

Vorph

Totally didn't see this coming!
You would have if you scrolled up ~15 posts! :trollface:

You're right though, all the signs were there from the very beginning. Unknown dev, WOTC self-publishing, initial reveal was one of the worst trailers of all time, etc.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
from what i've seen and the several reviews i've watched, the things that people are really negative on could and should be fixed in a few patches. really just depends on how quickly the devs will take care of that stuff. unfortunately that is just the state of the gaming world at this point. release a game in beta and patch it to what SHOULD be release quality in ~6 months.

that being said, the gameplay itself, outside of being 3rd person, seems much more spiritually connected to the original dark alliance games then i was initially expecting. they were, by and large, extremely simple games that BARELY resembled the source material. single player was interesting at first but generally became a slog, but playing with friends was just a straight up good time.

which is basically what all the reviews said about this game, as well.

• 1Like

Vorph

which is basically what all the reviews said about this game, as well.
...except for the lag and desync that they're saying plagues MP. Apparently some of the input lag issues even carry over to offline play as well.

• 1Like

j00t

...except for the lag and desync that they're saying plagues MP. Apparently some of the input lag issues even carry over to offline play as well.
yes, but like i said the stuff that people are being negative about are technical stuff like network stuff which could and should be patched out

• 1Seriously?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
from what i've seen and the several reviews i've watched, the things that people are really negative on could and should be fixed in a few patches. r
It sounds like the AI is shit, the net code is shit, and the entire combat system is shit. I'm not sure how you fix those ever, much less in a few patches.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Well *I* don't know how to fix those things, but I know all kinds of games release with awful ai and abysmal network stability but several patches down the road those issues are fixed.

I'm not saying this game will be among those, just it's par for the course for games now

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I thought the game may not be great, but could still be stupid fun, but it seems broken on fundamental, foundational levels. At least the thread will still be entertaining if there is a fanboy or two willing to defend the game, though.

• 1Worf

j00t

I'll still be playing it with a friend or two so we'll see how it goes /shrug

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
yes, but like i said the stuff that people are being negative about are technical stuff like network stuff which could and should be patched out

Just technical stuff, like one class being crippled by stamina drain, while another can spam every stamina draining ability and never run out? And FOV zoom linked to target lock? And lots of running pointlessly to locations in the same hallway style levels?

These are poor decisions in game design, not technical issues that can be patched. This dev team seemed unable to make rational design decisions in nearly every aspect of the game.

Are you and friends paying for the game? Please tell me you're at least only tacitly supporting it by playing "free" on Game Pass.

j00t

Just technical stuff, like one class being crippled by stamina drain, while another can spam every stamina draining ability and never run out? And FOV zoom linked to target lock? And lots of running pointlessly to locations in the same hallway style levels?

These are poor decisions in game design, not technical issues that can be patched. This dev team seemed unable to make rational design decisions in nearly every aspect of the game.

Are you and friends paying for the game? Please tell me you're at least only tacitly supporting it by playing "free" on Game Pass.
the stamina drain thing is interesting because i watched someone else play catti-brie for a full level and he had zero stamina issues. i don't know exactly what was going on with it but the attacks he was doing was using basically the same stamina that wulfgar was using.

SOME of the issues that dude who made the review was having was just straight up not playing correctly. he says the only way you get stamina back is from using limited potions, but parrying instantly recharges your stam to full and recharges how much total stam you have by a decent amount. now, obviously with network issues that's gonna be extremely problematic but that wasn't his argument.

j00t

this guy's been streaming a good chunk of the day, he covers a ton of dnd stuff, but seems fairly level headed. anyway, you can watch him play and judge for yourself. if you like what you see, play the game. if you don't, then don't. just about as simple as that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users