Dark Matter

Cybsled

Well, the typical dumbfuck "I no want pay for show, me watch free! me support by eyeball watch on piratezcove!!!" don't understand how show funding is supported by ad revenue. The children who scream "SELLOUT" when there is product placement in a show fail to realize shows have had to fall back on that old method because people are skipping commercials, so they have to literally make the commercials unskippable. Hell, the final seasons of Chuck were really pushing that...there was literally a scene that lasted a minute where they talked about a minivan's features. Although I do have to admit, I learned Subway made breakfast sandwiches because of that show, so it was effective I guess ;p

Goatface

syfy screws up streaming in every way possible
on comcast's ondemand, 50/50 chance the show with be censored
on the syfy app, unskipable ads seems to run double the normal time
or will have ads cut in every 10 mins or so with zero regards to where the ads are supposed to be
or show the exact same 2-3 unskipable ads every break. i still hate james harden for those Trolli ads.

i did a quick look at total primetime viewers over the years
1,278m in 2008
1,199m in 2010
1.330m in 2011
1.337m in 2012
1.192m in 2013
1.118m in 2014
0.990m in 2015
0,692m in 2016

i know a lot is the lost in across the all cable, but they were one of the top losers last year.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well, I will admit that I still have some bitterness at SyFy for..
A) Rebranding to "SyFy" in the first place...
B) What they did to the Dresden Files. heh

But the overall picture shows on overarching thing. Syfy is down almost across the board year over year on their shows. Which makes me think they may have problems other than the content.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

That is a problem for a lot of networks, cable or otherwise. A lot of younger people are cord cutting.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I wonder how netflix is affecting this. I know i watched the first 2 seasons on netflix, don't even know what network created it, nor do i care. I do like this show and hope it does not fizzle out. I like it better than the slow ass moving expanse for sure.

Goatface

it has to be hurting the show chances as iirc Syfy is just the distributor and don't think would get a cut
from netflix

spronk

FPS noob
Third season hasn't been very good anyways, its halfway through and the cast seems like its not really meshing very well, everyone is all over the place, the stories are pretty boring, the double-alternate-universe stuff is cliche and not executing well, and this season seems to be repeating the stargate formula: tread water for 75% of the season, then hit the viewers hard with crazy shenanigans the last 2 or 3 episodes. Thats not a great formula though if you can't write good, character driven stories that really make you love the cast. I like the android and the Han Solo-ish guy, but the rest of the cast could vanish tomorrow and it wouldn't matter.

Its also bizarre that the guy who seemed to be a big part of the cast, even going so far as being called number one, just vanishes at the end of season 1. why write his character if you aren't gonna keep him? I guess RL issues with the actor came into play but still it really detracts a LOT from the story.

Need way more arcs that show the characters bonding as a team, getting into trouble and helping each other, and dealing with their personal flaws. Need way more world building where they interact wwith small chars who seem to be in interesting places or lead interesting lives. Episodes where they interface with corporation #183 and have to make a deal with no personal stakes is just boring as fuck.

Goatface

don't know if One's exit was planned or not. He seemed to be pretty much hated by most everyone.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
You know you have dopplegangers running around. Why don't you have some sort of authentication protocol setup? There was no reason for any member of the crew to be fooled by members of the other crew at any time in the show. At least not for more than a second.

Other than that, the episode was fun with all the reversals.

SciFi is making pretty good TV right now. I agree with those who say their ratings problems are something other than the quality of the shows. I'm surprised they're not even holding out long enough to get shows into syndication. One of these days I'll get rich and I'll make a network dedicated to those great shows that didn't last long enough to be syndicated. The El Hoss Network.

Ladro

Anomaly
Good episode but

God damn inception shit had me guessing the whole time. I'm guessing Sarah took control of the androids body there at the end?

spronk

FPS noob
haha at the PSVR headset being used as the VR setup. All he had to do was stare at anything in the distance, the 1080p rez would have given it all away!!

It seemed pretty obvious right away from the start what was going on especially after all the "tell us the meeting coordinates!", and yeah Sarah took control of the android and its obvious three did something super fucked up to the cloud AI chick for her to want to sorta kill him. Probably narc'd on her, felt bad and fell in love, tried to protect her, she dies anyways.

Every episode feels like a tiny drop in quality, whereas Killjoys is still going up in quality every episode.

Ladro

Anomaly
Well right now it's mostly available time to watch things, but I just finished up a few series and wanted to get caught up on Legends of Tomorrow so I can be current on the whole CW/DC universe.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Don't get me wrong because I watch Legends too, but if you're watching that, you have plenty of room in your TV schedule.

spronk

FPS noob
lol next week is gonna be that classic sci fi trope, show visits Earth 1960s. they are cheesy as fuck but I love em

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Are they going back to a time when sharks weren't extinct so they can jump one?

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
If they have a scene where the kid tries to talk to a mouse to activate the computer ... I will love the episode and threaten to physically fight anyone who badmouths it.

But i don't think computers are all voice activated in Dark Matter, so probably won't get that.

• 1Solidarity

Cybsled

It would be kind of funny if there was an Amazon Echo and 3 said "Look Android, your ancestor!"

• 1Worf