Dark Matter

Siliconemelons

Yeah I finished it last night - was not bad all in all, but imo not up to the caliber of the s1 finale and s2 intro arc that was longer and better (and dat ass) - this was a huge cliffhanger then, blah explanation "yeah we made it out!" because... yeah

Getting in the Maurader was some horrific acting "No... you...cant...leave...the others..." I will saunter back somewhat defiantly (I just was knocked out so, this makes sense that I am a rag doll right?) "no....dont...again, I shrug my shoulder at youuuuu"

I do not know if its acting that is poor, or direction... they started to spread their characters out in how they act but there are just too many stiff characters that are generally paired - when gun guy and the young girl are the only standouts - there is a problem... there are too many stoic leaning characters- by S3 they should have grown from their initial reset-state and gotten somewhat back into "themselves"

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Yeah I finished it last night - was not bad all in all, but imo not up to the caliber of the s1 finale and s2 intro arc that was longer and better (and dat ass) - this was a huge cliffhanger then, blah explanation "yeah we made it out!" because... yeah

Getting in the Maurader was some horrific acting "No... you...cant...leave...the others..." I will saunter back somewhat defiantly (I just was knocked out so, this makes sense that I am a rag doll right?) "no....dont...again, I shrug my shoulder at youuuuu"

I do not know if its acting that is poor, or direction... they started to spread their characters out in how they act but there are just too many stiff characters that are generally paired - when gun guy and the young girl are the only standouts - there is a problem... there are too many stoic leaning characters- by S3 they should have grown from their initial reset-state and gotten somewhat back into "themselves"
Hah. Friend said acting was better when they didn't know who they were, but now they know and they suck. Funny way to sum it up.

spronk

FPS noob
Season 3 is pretty mediocre so far, I'd put it a step down below the average Stargate SG1/Atlantis episode, whereas I thought season 1 & 2 were a slight step above.

Its really hard NOT to see the Canadian warehouses in season 3 so far, which isn't a big deal if the stories are minor things or deeply personal to the characters like in 1 & 2, but you can't really do a galactic corporate warfare space opera storyline and have your set budgets be on par with Sesame Street. They should have dialed down the stories to be more localized and small, instead of trying to comic book movie it upwards. The supporting actors are all mostly bad too and the main characters are too grim most of the time.

Kinda weird also for Killjoys not to be airing at the same time, the two balanced each other nicely and when one episode was meh the other shows episode was usually good. It won't be on next week either, Killjoys season 3 starts June 30th.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I think Killjoys benefits from the shorter season. Dark Matter definitely isn't interesting this season, which is a shame.

Oldbased

> Than U
Dark Matter as said before was interesting when you had a group of people who were bad asses but didn't know how or why they were bad asses working together.
They took that and managed to restore who they are and split them up, the very 2 things that made it interesting. The writers for this show are no where near Expanse level of detail so now we have a show that isn't all interesting.
It reminds me of what they did with The Last Ship. Out of all possible directions to take a show they managed to sail it in the one direction that leaves you fast forwarding through the commercials and when you get back to where the show comes back on you just keep on trucking.

Siliconemelons

S3 E2 was much better than 1 - still not up to the first two seasons. But was much better - or maybe just because the first episode was so... bad

I have EP 3 waiting on me so I am kinda excited lol

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I watched this show like a year ago on netflix. For a B level sci-fi show this one is pretty good. I especially like the cast and their interactions. Rewatching it right now. Didnt even know they were making another season.

spronk

FPS noob
The time loop episode started off a bit cliche, reminded me a LOT of the SG1 "Jack goes golfing" episode, but I liked the little twists they threw in at the end to mix it up. I kinda started laughing though at the info dump five starts spewing at Android at the end, while I'm sure it was meant to be serious it just felt like some sort of "HEY VIEWERS KEEP WATCHING WE GOT COOL SHIT PLANNED OK?"

The cast isn't really clicking very well right now unfortunately, with all of them all over the place story wise they need to slow things down a bit I think and give some bonding moments for the cast again.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I always like a good groundhog day episode in any series. The new thing seems to be letting other people start remembering later. Makes it messy when the bad guy remembers.

Oldbased

> Than U
I felt this week was more of a return to what I expect from Dark Matter, which isn't to say much, but it filled it as past expectations.

Goatface

don't know where the show is heading
really not keen on centering around 5

hope the handler and bodyguard are gone soon

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So since the wife and I are in the showhole we decided to give this a go. I've avoided reading the first of this thread to avoid possible spoilers as we're around 3/4 of the way through season one... So far her take on it which I pretty much agree with is...

Grimdark Firefly with a side of Farscape

I'm enjoying it, but it doesn't seem compellingly groundbreaking or anything.

spronk

FPS noob
Switch to killjoys imo, once you marathon through that come back to Dark Matter. Its a better show. Obviously it goes without saying you should have already watched The Expanse as well, its the best sci fi show out right now.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I dunno, if they are already in it, finish it off. Killjoys will be the whipped cream and Expanse will be the cherry on top :)

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Switch to killjoys imo, once you marathon through that come back to Dark Matter. Its a better show. Obviously it goes without saying you should have already watched The Expanse as well, its the best sci fi show out right now.

oh no no no... Expanse is one of the very few shows the wife and I always watch within 48 hours of airtime. Killjoys is on our possible list. Maybe after season 1 of this, then Killjoys for a while.

Goatface

Appears show is on the boarder of being cancelled

Mallozzi put up a plea to try to get more people to watch
Unbelievably, you’ll only have 7 more episodes left until…

Well, that’s up to you. To ensure that fourth season pick-up, we need to keep getting the word out, continue getting new viewers on board and, of course, keep supporting the show by watching it on SYFY and SpaceChannel (and Netflix!).

Ratings
18-49 demo / viewers
0.24 / 1.009 = Season 1 avg
0.17 / 0.676 = Season 2 avg
0.16 / 0.612 = Season 3 so far

Killjoys doesn't appear to be doing much better
0.23 / 0.955 = Season 1 avg
0.18 / 0.644 = Season 2 avg
0.15 / 0.552 = Season 3 so far (only 1 show)

Expanse
0.22 / 0.703 = Season 1 avg
0.18 / 0.562 = Season 2 avg

sddj00t.png

Cybsled

Expanse is able to coast by (for now) because it has critical acclaim. Killsjoys and Dark Matter run the risk of being Defianced because they lack that (even though they are fun shows).

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Syfy really needs to open up their streaming and get with Hulu or something to get in peoples faces. The shows are good enough, but people still look at me like I am crazy suggesting Syfy shows.

Siliconemelons

Yeah...so to show my support I am to watch the old seasons on netflix? if they could do the series 1ep the day after air - hulu style or just do hulu i am sure it would get more views.

Syfi et al of specific types are fighting their fanbase..that torrents... so the ratings really are higher than listed- for all of those.