Dark Souls 3

axeman_sl

shitlord
Anyone else try that butchers axe? S scale str at level 10 and it is a fast one hander.
Its base damage is really low, though, so the S scaling is effectively more like B scaling. The thing can't be infused or buffed, either. It has an interesting weapon art, but I don't really put much stock in the buff ones as they cost a considerable amount of mana, can't really be applied mid-fight, and last like ten seconds. A better one-handed strength weapon is the Dark Sword. It's basically one of the game's top 10 weapons.

Butcher Knife is an okay weapon, but its actual damage doesn't surpass something like the Broadsword, and the knife has an awful 2h moveset as well as unfavorable stats -- starting base damage of 95 is less than the Shortsword, and it's the heaviest 1h axe by quite a margin. If you stick a heavy gem in the Broadsword, it has higher damage, a better moveset, and less than half the weight. Or just go with Dark Sword like everyone else.

Dark sword is too short and it's R2 sucks yea, Lothric Knight sword is where it's at.

I'm finally at a point where titanite chunks are flowing like water and I have a few slabs to play with, so I've been dicking around with some of greatswords/ultras and man do they just all feel like butt. My Lothric Knight sword at refined +10 is ~420 damage at 35str/40dex, meanwhile Farrons is about ~550 damage at +5, Astora Greatsword refined +10 is about 570. Murakomo is in the 520ish range at +10 sharp. The issue is though that just isn't enough damage to justify using any of it. Even at 30 endurance you only get 2-3 mega slow swings per stamina bar with the greatswords/ultras, where as the Knight sword can put out 7 in the same amount of time and still have stamina left over for a roll.

Need to find a couple more slabs to test out some of the greathammers and axes to see if maybe they bring enough damage to justify it, but so far straightswords are where it's at.
If you just look at the damage or stamina costs, heavy weapons are garbage. Their usefulness is in their size and movesets. For instance, most heavy weapons with a ground-slamming attack will stagger everything in an area around the blow even if you didn't hit. You can interrupt enemies outside your reach with this. Also, you can get some serious range out of something like the Zweihander's rolling R1. The ability to reach like 9 feet with a melee weapon that has high damage (unlike spears which generally suck) is very useful.

I do think the mid-sized, faster weapons are ultimately the best ones in DS3, but the numbers make them look more favorable than they really are. Especially in PvE, ultra weapons can just hit shit before it can reach you, and while shield enemies are some of the most irritating to deal with if you're using a straight sword, an UGS will just destroy these as you can simply dance around outside their reach, wait until they respond by lowering their shield to do some lunge attack, and punish with a max-reach smack that staggers almost anything.

For my first playthrough, I looked at the damage numbers and concluded that there was no reason to use anything but a straight sword. Then for my second playthrough, I decided to try heavy weapons and was astonished to find that a lot of the content is way easier when you can one-shot mobs before they can even reach you. With a straight sword or other normal-sized weapon, you get punished really hard for any mistake as your opponent is right up in your face. While the attacks might cost less stamina, you have to spend a lot more blocking/rolling.

One of the ways big weapons truly shine is what's called "hyper-armor," which means you can't be interrupted during some portion of the attack animation. DS3 is otherwise really bad about every fucking attack staggering you. Poise appears to do literally nothing unless your weapon has hyper-armor frames, which only big weapons really have enough of to matter. This is so fucking useful. On my first playthrough, it was driving me absolutely insane how getting gently poked by a hollow with a broken stub of a sword for 3% of my HP would stagger my platemail-wearing knight, interrupting my attack and putting me into a stunlock if there's a few enemies. Then I tried an ultra and I could literally hear Johnny Nash singing "I can see clearly now." It was such a fucking relief and so much more enjoyable after having had to use my shield so much I got trigger finger on my left hand.

That said, some big weapons do just objectively suck and aren't useful for anything other than trying to get a high AR score. The plain Greataxe, for instance, hits hard but has no reach, has a moveset consisting entirely of vertical chops, and still weighs as much as a small car. Weapons like the Greatsword, Zweihander, Great Mace, Spiked Mace and Black Knight's Greataxe are fantastic, though, as long as you're able to keep enemies from surrounding you. Many of the fights that are rough with a lighter weapon are trivial when you can three-shot the fucker from seven feet away and every hit is a guaranteed stagger. It's so good against mobs such as the various knights and other chubbies.

The biggest problem with the ultra weapons is that half of them look so profoundly stupid that I can't live with it. The two I've found to have the best balance of effectiveness vs. acceptable appearance are Zweihander and Great Mace.

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I concur with the said above. I played the previous games with Claymore since it has my favorite moveset, but in DS3 i HAD TO replace it with the Longsword. The straight swords are just godlike in this game: fast movesets, low stamina usage, low stat requirements: like 10 mins into the game you can just early infuse to raw, upgrade to +3 from the random titanite you find and dump stats into HP for a REALLY easy start into the game. My other char is a sorcerer. I don't get the whining about magic being weak? I'm 1-2 shotting any regular mob from range. Sure the magic system has always been lackluster in souls games but i like the changes so far. I think it's fair that you have to heavily invest into INT for scaling to kick off. The hybrid havel mages are a thing of the past, thankfully. I have to play around with pyro and faith builds yet. Love the game, i guess i'm gonna play this all year, lol.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Trying to farm Concords so I can get the ring that gives +2 Attunement slots... it really sucks. Darkmoon Covenant seems completely busted so I'm forced to farming Silver Knights for the Concords, and I'm getting about 1 per hour of farming. Really don't want to start NG+ until I get that ring.

Why do all these Souls games feel like magic is some kind of unofficial mod cobbled together by incompetent amateurs and grafted onto a game that wasn't meant to have it? I love these games, but I have never seen so awful a magic system elsewhere. It's literally the worst magic system in modern gaming, no contest. There simply aren't mechanics to help with spellcasting, most of the spells are completely worthless, and the unreplenishing mana (or, previously, spell uses) concept makes it feel like the game is bucking and twisting to get you to stop trying to play a spellcaster. Ashen Estus being zero-sum exclusive with regular Estus just adds insult to injury. This is the one point where I think the Souls games are truly terribly designed.
I think being a pure spellcaster was most viable in Dark Souls 2, where right off the bat basic spells had huge amounts of usages and you could stock up on items to replenish your spell uses whenever you wanted. Dark Souls 3 is significantly less kind to spellcasting, which sucks, but my characters have always used spells to supplement their melee strategies, so it's never bothered me that much. (My two characters are a heavily-armored knight with miracles and a rogue/assassin type with a few sorceries).

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You guys ever wonder who lights all the candles in the Souls games? I mean there are a lot of candles. There has got to be a secret candle boss or some shit.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Looking for weapon leveling up clarification.... as i'm a bit confused.
First of all, i wanted to use the Butcher knife for a while, but didn't like it but i could never gem it, no idea why, are some weapons non gem-able? It had no other stats on it.. i did put a few tritanite on it, but never could gem it.

Also,
I have a sword that i want to level up as well as gem it.
Does it make a difference which order i do this in?
Can i do tritanite first +1, +2, +3 etc... THEN gem it?
Or do you Gem it first, let's say fire gem, then after that do the Tritante +'s?

khalid

Unelected Mod
You can do the +1,+2 all the way up, then later on decide to make it a Sharp or Fire one. You never lose your +1,+2 or whatever, but can reset it back to a normal weapon and then make it a Heavy or something. You can also keep doing more +'s after you have made it sharp.

So you can take a +3 weapon, make it a fire +3, then take it back to normal +3, then make it a sharp +3, then buff it to a sharp +5, then reset it to normal +5 and make it fire +5.

Does that help? You need shrivening stones to reset the type of weapon.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
You can do the +1,+2 all the way up, then later on decide to make it a Sharp or Fire one. You never lose your +1,+2 or whatever, but can reset it back to a normal weapon and then make it a Heavy or something. You can also keep doing more +'s after you have made it sharp.

So you can take a +3 weapon, make it a fire +3, then take it back to normal +3, then make it a sharp +3, then buff it to a sharp +5, then reset it to normal +5 and make it fire +5.

Does that help? You need shrivening stones to reset the type of weapon.
that's helps and is also a bit confusing... so if i take a weapon with nothing, and do a fire gem, then i level it up to +3, hence it's a fire+3
or i could have done +3 first, then do fire after that, and it's the same as doing it the other way right?

I remember in DS2 that you had to level something to like +7 (or something) then you were _allowed_ to add a gem (i know that's not the case here) then it would take it to +0 but of the type you upgraded to, then you could bring it up again in +'s.

I appreciate the explination
smile.png
Sounds like i can do +1, +2, +3, Gem, +4, +5 etc... and it's the same as Gem, +1, +2, +3, +4 etc....

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, and its nice that it keeps your upgrades intact. I discovered that awhile ago myself.

Also, early game some of the higher level upgrade items are rare, but as you progress, they become fairly commonplace. Way more so than in past Souls games.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Someone said there was a ring that buffed heavy weapon damage, anyone know what its called?

khalid

Unelected Mod
Also, early game some of the higher level upgrade items are rare, but as you progress, they become fairly commonplace. Way more so than in past Souls games.
While it seems weird to have chunks so easily, I like it. Lets me experiment with more maxed out weapons.

I really hope more people start posting stats of fully upgraded weapons on the wiki.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
That's tight.

This is the first Souls game where I have been trying to do all the good ending shit instead of just plowing straight through, mainly because I've never explored that part of the previous games before, which is why I decided to do so this time.

Now I want to go back to Dark Souls 1 and save Solaire...

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
And then there is me. I just want to make it out alive. I'll try the best game ending later ha!

I just beat Pontiff, then actually cleared the way to Aldrich on the back end and tried him and nope... So I went to the dungeon and now am trying to get passed that and into the Profaned capital to kill Yhorm. How do I get to Smouldering lake? Pretty sure I missed that.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Go back to the rope bridge just before Wolnir. Hit the post so that the bridge breaks, it becomes a ladder to go down.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Go back to the rope bridge just before Wolnir. Hit the post so that the bridge breaks, it becomes a ladder to go down.
Oh man I didn't even notice the ladder when I did that. Thanks! I just thought I was doing it to make sure I didn't get any more of those limitless adds.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Oh man I didn't even notice the ladder when I did that. Thanks! I just thought I was doing it to make sure I didn't get any more of those limitless adds.
Unless you're way more leveled/geared than I was...good luck. Went there at level 40 or so and found it to be the hardest area in the series.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Ive seen several hints from other players with something along the lines of "illusion wall ahead". Is there a spell to access them or am I getting trolled?