Dark Souls

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The servers were just an annoyance anyway. Special events were cool because you could play around with a character that started out in pure black or pure white world tendency, but the rest of the time all server tendency did was fuck up your progress. Plus the stupid graffiti everywhere, making the world ugly and spoiling every surprise the game had to offer, just like in all the other Souls games.

If you really want it though, people have made a private server for Demon's Souls that works through simple DNS spoofing even on an unmodded console and has almost all the features that the Atlus one did. The server world tendency doesn't change though, it just sits at neutral pulling you away from the PW/PB you've been working towards.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, I typically don't play the Souls games online unless I've already went through it and want to give it a try. I like the immersion and I'm not great at the games anyway, so first go-around is solo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Eh, one of the draws is the returning population and fresh roll up.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is this with expansion and on a technical level at least as good as DS with DSfix? It's a pretty steep price for a remaster...

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Is this with expansion and on a technical level at least as good as DS with DSfix? It's a pretty steep price for a remaster...
It is with expansions and seems to be as good as DS Fix but i only tested a very limited area. If you already have the PC version there is not a reason to buy this really. If you have not played it or want it on console its worth it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Just nabbed it for PS4. Only because it seems like there is little to no difference between Xbox one x and ps pro, and also because I like the dual shock better for this game. Oh and more friends on ps than Xbox and maybe some coop shenanigans can occur.

• 2Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's still a few issues but the lastest version of the emulator can run it very smoothly yeah, provided you have a beefy enough setup(mostly CPU from what I understand). Doesn't have any multiplayer element though obviously, since the servers are down and they haven't really managed to emulate server side stuff(and I wanna say never will).

Actually, There is a private server for Demons Souls. It requires a DNS change.

I run a Pie-Hole on my network so I can just make the DNS name resolve to the private ran server.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Didn't know, but not sure you can get this to work on the emulator though, since I assume the emulator would need network support and I'm not sure it does that?

RhoA

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, I typically don't play the Souls games online unless I've already went through it and want to give it a try. I like the immersion and I'm not great at the games anyway, so first go-around is solo.

Assuming the only way to really do this on PC is to start Steam in offline mode?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Assuming the only way to really do this on PC is to start Steam in offline mode?
I'd assume you can just turn off online inside the game. On consoles you could at least, I haven't started playing DS3 yet even though I bought it months ago and that's the only PC souls I own so can't tell for sure but that's how I'd assume it works. Otherwise yeah you can just launch steam in offline mode while playing, or turn off your network connection on windows directly(might be faster if you want to keep steam online for other games/PMs and stuff since steam is a slow ass piece of shit to launch).

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The more I play this on PS4 the more I think my time would be better spent trying a new build on DS3 or BB. I am enjoying it but I know it could be so much better in every way.

• 1Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Still gets me everytime I go down the Great Hollow into the Ashen Lake. People said it felt disjointed but I didn't get that feeling.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I still feel like the world is better in Dark Souls 1 than 3 by a large margin.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I still feel like the world is better in Dark Souls 1 than 3 by a large margin.

Agreed. I still loved DS3 (DS2 bored me to tears. Hated the combat and environment and monsters etc) But DS1 was just so fun to explore blindly

• 2Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For me its

DS1 world
DS2 expansions and shear amount of content
DS3 combat (via number of spells and weapons) and multiplayer (covenants and arena)

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Looks like they made major changes to the pvp aspect. Its now very similar to DS3.

From Reddit.
Alright, I've spent all day gathering some knowledge for you all regarding the weapon based matchmaking. I've been trolling around the memory of the game to see how and when it changes. Why not post this to the sticky? Hardly anyone reads the sticky, and even fewer reread new comments.

I'd still refer to the sticky regarding how your "weapon upgrade level" affects matchmaking, as this post is only for what affects the upgrade level.

Put simply, your upgrade level is determined by any item you have ever possessed that would show up in the Reinforce Weapon or Modify Equipment menus at the blacksmith and pyromancers. Exception: Dark Hand

Getting rid of an item by any means WILL NOT decrease your characters weapon upgrade level.

So this means the following things DO affect your upgrade level:

• Bows/Crossbows

• Melee Weapons

• Shields

• Pyromancer Flames

• Dark Hand

And the following things DO NOT affect your upgrade level:

• Reinforcing your estus flask

• Armor

• Spells

• Rings

• Staves and Talismans

• Consumables and Upgrade materials

• Number of dung pies fed to Frampt, etc.

Note: Going forward, I will be denoting WL (Weapon level) when talking about the internal stat DSR uses to track your highest weapon upgrade level from 0-15

So what is your WL?

A simple rule of thumb is that if you fully upgrade a weapon, you will be at WL15. Refer to the upgrade chart: http://image.ibb.co/i9bi2c/dark_souls_upgrade_guide.jpg

If you have an item from the normal tree, its WL is the minimum number of times it needed to be to be reinforced to get to that tier starting at WL0. So the lightning spear +0 from sen's fortress, that's a WL10 weapon. A chaos zweihander +5, that's WL15. Exception: Boss weapons at +0 will start at WL5 even if the normal weapon used to make it was WL10. The character will still remain WL10 after making the boss weapon but this shouldn't affect characters who have the boss weapon muled to them.

If you have an item from either the boss, demon, dragon, or unique categories, it will start at WL5 immediately and increase by 2 each time you reinforce it. The exception are shields in these categories (Havel's, Stone) which will start at WL0 and will increase by 3 per reinforcement (leaving it at WL15 when fully upgraded). Even though the Dark Hand can't be upgraded, it counts as a WL5 weapon.

The pyromancy flame starts at WL0 and increases a level each time it is improved. It is WL15 fully upgraded and unascended. Every upgrade level of the ascended pyromancy flame counts as a WL15 weapon as well.

What does this mean? For the endgame, it's meaningless, but it can affect your Coop and PvP experience as you go through the game. You should decide which group you'd like to be in. The "Not as many people but with twinks that are far more optimized than I am" group or the "More people and more twinks but at least it's a more even playing ground" one. If you want to be in the first, just play as normal and pick up anything you want knowing that picking up the wrong item at the wrong time can push you into a smaller matchmaking pool prematurely.

For everyone else, here are some tips on not accidentally bloating your upgrade level until you're ready.

1. Once you go black k***t, you never go back to invading unupgraded hosts . Just avoid black k***ts, as all their weapons will immediately bump you to WL5.

2. Let the poor thing sleep, don't take the Astora Straight Sword from the undead dragon in valley of drakes or the lightning spear from the mimic in Sen's fortress.

3. A tail of two dragons. Don't cut tails unless you REALLY need the weapon. This primarily goes for the drake sword or gaping dragon, both optional tail cuts you can postpone as long as you want. Gargoyle axe is fine, it's in the normal upgrade path. By the time you reach priscilla/stone dragon/seath/kalameet you should be fine with a tailcut weapon (unless YOU are the twink).

4. Know what you're signing up for. You get the gravelord sword upon entering the gravelord covenant and a dark hand from the darkwraith covenant, so be mindful of that.

5. When in doubt, refer to Rare Weapons - Dark Souls Wiki for any other potential gotchas that you may stumble across and you should be good.

It's unfortunate, but it's not the end of the world. You should be keeping backups anyway, they can help if you catch yourself picking up a wrong item.

There may be more exceptions than what I've thought of but I'm willing to take testing suggestions or answer any questions in the comments.

Edit: Added note regarding Boss weapons, and fixed WL for lightning spear

TL;DR:

[View formatted table]

Weapon WL

Weapons and Shields that have 15 ranks TOTAL WL0, +WL1 per rank

Weapons that have 5 ranks TOTAL WL5, +WL2 per rank

Shields that have 5 ranks TOTAL WL0, +WL3 per rank

Dark Hand WL5

Pyromancy Hand WL0, +WL1 per upgrade

Ascended Pyromancy Hand WL15, no change per upgrade

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Only recently finished DS1. Would always get bored around 2/3 of the way through and just stop playing. Never had that issue with DS3 or Demon's Souls

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Anyone looking to get the Steam version of Remastered, if you already have the Prepare to Die edition you can get a little more of a discount than the 20$ one. At indiegala.com they have it for 13% off, but then you get the 50% off for the PtD edition as long as you have your Steam account linked through your indiegala account. The final tally shows up when selecting payment.

https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/dark-soulstm-remastered/211420_remastered

EXTRA 50% OFF on final price for DARK SOULS: Prepare To Die™ Edition Owners*

*In order to access the “Prepared To Die Price” you must:

• (1) log into your Steam account.
  • (2) connect your Steam account to IndieGala (you must be logged into your IndieGala account to perform this operation.).
  • (3) make sure your games library on Steam is publicly visible (set privacy to public in your Steam profile settings).
  • (4) *already* have DARK SOULS: Prepare To Die Edition in your Steam library.

dsr1.png

• 2Like

Chapell

Trakanon Raider

This is DSfix charged for 20 $.
If you don't play this game for pvp you have zero reason to buy this game again. Unless you never played it on PC with DSfix before.
Now if you your plan is to fight against other online, why not. I suggest you buy it on PS4 instead of steam if you have one.

• 1Like