Dave Chappelle

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
This fucking guy...

I loved Robin Williams but looking back, I find his standup exhausting. And the randoms spazzy dancing and breaking into a million different esoteric characters one after another, idk, not for me. Still love him, he's still fucking hilarious, but I think he's funniest when he's working with constraints. The other guys are hilarious, idk, it jsut isn't something I find myself going back to. Like, Lenny Bruce is hilarious, but I enjoy watching modern comics way more. I can't imagine sitting down to watch an entire Pryor special anymore, even though he's a foundational genius.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This fucking guy...

I loved Robin Williams but looking back, I find his standup exhausting. And the randoms spazzy dancing and breaking into a million different esoteric characters one after another, idk, not for me. Still love him, he's still fucking hilarious, but I think he's funniest when he's working with constraints. The other guys are hilarious, idk, it jsut isn't something I find myself going back to. Like, Lenny Bruce is hilarious, but I enjoy watching modern comics way more. I can't imagine sitting down to watch an entire Pryor special anymore, even though he's a foundational genius.

Oh, right, Robin Williams, I was trying to think of other stand up comedians in the league of those listed, but nothing came to mind...

I even grew up watching most of his movies, plus some Mork & Mindy on Nick at Night, but I never think of him, getting his start and going big, doing the stand up circuit in the 70s & early 80s.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Probably before most of y'all's time, but Redd Foxx was a top shelf comic before he hit it big with Sanford and Son.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Probably before most of y'all's time, but Redd Foxx was a top shelf comic before he hit it big with Sanford and Son.
Thanks. I like reminders that I'm not the most geriatric person here.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Thanks. I like reminders that I'm not the most geriatric person here.

I always thought Sanford and Son was dumb as a kid (minus the theme song, perfect). I've watched a few of them over the years of not being a kid and I gotta say... for a sitcom some of them are super fucking solid.

All the characters are just hillarious.

• 1Solidarity

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Chappelle is great but the fact that this set is "controversial" just shows how bad things are. Can you imagine what would happen if he came out and said something like this...

Maybe the fact that that set would be unacceptable today is a good thing, but it's obviously gone way too far now.

With regard to the great comics, I think Pryor and Carlin are a bit overrated these days. They were great no doubt, but people act like they were some kind of transcendental beings now which I don't think is true.

Chris Rock is still my favorite even if he's a bit pussified now. I don't know if it's old age or fear of cancel culture or fear of losing his lifestyle that made him dial it back, but I would love it if he was inspired by Sticks and Stones to do a new special and just come as hard as he can, provided that Chappelle didn't make Netflix scared to do this sort of thing anymore.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Although marriage and kids seems to have toned down Burr a bit. It looks like he's still gonna go after some alphabet people.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
The high point was prob 10-15 years or so ago with Bull Burr, Chris Rock, Chappelle, Patrice O'Neal, Norm McDonald, Louis CK, Jim Norton, Doug Stanhole, Nick DiPaolo, Gaffigan, etc. The one or two women doing comedy were filthier than men.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Chappelle is great but the fact that this set is "controversial" just shows how bad things are. Can you imagine what would happen if he came out and said something like this...

Maybe the fact that that set would be unacceptable today is a good thing, but it's obviously gone way too far now.

With regard to the great comics, I think Pryor and Carlin are a bit overrated these days. They were great no doubt, but people act like they were some kind of transcendental beings now which I don't think is true.

Chris Rock is still my favorite even if he's a bit pussified now. I don't know if it's old age or fear of cancel culture or fear of losing his lifestyle that made him dial it back, but I would love it if he was inspired by Sticks and Stones to do a new special and just come as hard as he can, provided that Chappelle didn't make Netflix scared to do this sort of thing anymore.
I mean, I know a few have pointed out Murphy, specifically the Delirious set, but that clip just really isn't funny. Not because it's controversial or offensive, but because it isn't funny. And I think Eddie Murphy is a really funny dude.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Delirious and Raw had some funny ass shit 100%. But they also had some looooong pieces that were stupid as fuck. Like, he'd take something kinda not really funny, and just run it into the ground.

That said, I thought that bit was funny enough. Humor is subjective. I have a ton of stand up shows in my Winamp (1998 represent!) and neither of those shows is in my top 10.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I mean, I know a few have pointed out Murphy, specifically the Delirious set, but that clip just really isn't funny. Not because it's controversial or offensive, but because it isn't funny. And I think Eddie Murphy is a really funny dude.

That's because homosexuality is just thought of as normal now. You have to look at it in the context of 1983.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I always thought Sanford and Son was dumb as a kid (minus the theme song, perfect). I've watched a few of them over the years of not being a kid and I gotta say... for a sitcom some of them are super fucking solid.

All the characters are just hillarious.
TV shows that were both funny and discussed relevant social issues of the day back then cant be made today. Too many people today would be too stupid to understand they were using satire to address social issues and be triggered. Sanford and Son, All in the Family, the Jeffersons, Good Times etc. Carroll O'Connor was fucking brilliant in both All in the Family and Heat of the Night. He was also an ultra-liberal and the exact opposite of both characters in real life.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
People, myself included, lionize Carlin because of the free speech stuff. It helps that he’s also a great comic.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
RIP Patrice. Monica.jpeg
I'm glad that Opie & Anthony introduced me to Patrice so many years ago. I've gone to easily 2 dozen of his performances. I actually drove into NYC after he died to attend his funeral. That man was very inspirational for me.

The Black Philip Show on XM was top tier advice.

Dante Nero's OK, but Patrice is a legend.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Watched Stick and Stones, loved it. The pedo jokes were over the line for me but I get he is just crossing all the lines while admitting he was molested. He said something I never thought about before;

If women should have a right to an abortion does that mean a man should have the right to say "see ya" he doesn't want to be a father so long as he legally abdicates all parental rights and responsibilities within the abortion time frame? He would be aborting his parental duty just like women abort theirs when they have an abortion for non-medical reasons.

I grew up believing that if you knock her up that shit is on you and you a human fucking garbage if you abandon that responsibility. However, I would be willing to give women the right to have an abortion if they are willing to give the same right to the father, to allow him a legal and documented route out of fatherhood during the same window.

Dave Chapelle made me think about something I hadn't before and he did it through comedy, it'sbeen awhile since a comic has done that with NEW material.

• 2Like