Dave Chappelle

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I think that's right?

Due to the show's popularity, Comedy Central's new parent company Viacom[5] reportedly offered Chappelle a $55 million contract (giving Chappelle a share of DVD sales) to continue production of Chappelle's Show for two more years while allowing him to do side projects. Chappelle has said that sketches are not his favorite form of comedy,[5] and that the show's format was similar to short films.

I'm not going in any deeper but I'm getting the impression that he gained extra royalties with the new contract and that was the one he flushed.

he essentially is getting paid though, just not by viacom, he likely wouldn't be a gagilionaire if he never did that show

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I think that's right?

Due to the show's popularity, Comedy Central's new parent company Viacom[5] reportedly offered Chappelle a $55 million contract (giving Chappelle a share of DVD sales) to continue production of Chappelle's Show for two more years while allowing him to do side projects. Chappelle has said that sketches are not his favorite form of comedy,[5] and that the show's format was similar to short films.

I'm not going in any deeper but I'm getting the impression that he gained extra royalties with the new contract and that was the one he flushed.
sure sounds like something he did all on his own without any lawyer around to shit their pants over what he was doing.

spronk

FPS noob
he got paid for seasons 1 & 2 but those usually are pretty low amounts, good for normies but not "Hollywood great". He walked away from season 3/4 and the $55m contract. He never had the rights to the show, that was always Viacom's from day 1. If he had kept going maybe he could have negotiated something as part of doing a season 5 (etc) but it never got that far. So Viacom whores out his show to any streamer that will pay, its currently on HBO Max as well but Dave doesn't talk about that at all because he has no leverage over HBO.

He has a huge deal with Netflix, they paid him like $60m for 3 specials back in 2017, that he had already filmed and was just sitting on. Then they gave him an additional ?? for 3 more specials in 2019. They probably want him to do more specials or a movie or something, so they agreed to pull the Chappelle Show from their stream to keep him happy with them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix ends up buying The Chappelle Show from Viacom and "sells" it to Chappelle for $1 as part of their negotiations with him over new content. Whoever owns the rights to it has a nice bait for him.

His little monologue on how Hollywood treats celebrities (him) is interesting, although obviously extremely self-centered and probably not entirely true, but still interesting especially in the context of Hollywood pedos and rapists

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't understand why people are having feelings over this. This is negotiating, on all sides. Rich people are negotiating shit. Do I need to have a side? I guess I'm for Dave if so.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If he said "I leveraged Netflix to drop that shit because I could", no one would care. Complaining about "what's right" is some bitch ass pussy shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
idk, just doesn't seem very interesting to me, like a lot of this inside baseball shit they talk on all the comedian podcasts.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
idk, just doesn't seem very interesting to me, like a lot of this inside baseball shit they talk on all the comedian podcasts.
some people want to know how the sausage is made, some are just happy to pick it up at the supermarket all packaged and shiny.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand why people are having feelings over this. This is negotiating, on all sides. Rich people are negotiating shit. Do I need to have a side? I guess I'm for Dave if so.
Because hes coming off like a whiny little cunt after making his bed and having to sleep in it.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
David Bowie just refusing to do anything until he got out of his shitty contract or Prince walking around with Slave written on his face as he changes his name to a symbol in an attempt to get out of his shitty contract I can understand. It's tougher with Dave. He signed a huge money deal and then bailed partway through filming the new season. That he was able to walk away from that much money is admirable (unless he just had a complete breakdown, then its less admirable) but then I'm less empathetic to his complaints now about not getting paid for the show's reruns or DVD sales. The money was all right there for you but you decided it wasn't worth it but now you want some of it?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
David Bowie just refusing to do anything until he got out of his shitty contract or Prince walking around with Slave written on his face as he changes his name to a symbol in an attempt to get out of his shitty contract I can understand. It's tougher with Dave. He signed a huge money deal and then bailed partway through filming the new season. That he was able to walk away from that much money is admirable (unless he just had a complete breakdown, then its less admirable) but then I'm less empathetic to his complaints now about not getting paid for the show's reruns or DVD sales. The money was all right there for you but you decided it wasn't worth it but now you want some of it?
i dont think there is any way you could just intentionally break your contract without looking like a horse's ass. if he has a medical issue, then they can give him some time to get his shit right. but just up and saying, "later, bitches!" and fucking off somewhere is indefensible. you either work through your shitty contract and suck it up or you try to renegotiate if possible. they dont put "later, bitches!" clauses in contracts because it invalidates any point of a contract. considering he was going to make 50 million out of it, there is really no "shitty contract" wiggle room for you. Chappelle is just a dumbass.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That is Dave Chappelles problem. The Chappelle Show is his greatest work IMO, and he decided to walk away from it. So no, he shouldnt get any proceeds from a project he basically shitted on. But that project is his best work, he hasnt done anything since that approaches it.

His specials are OK. But the Chappelle Show is why 90% of people are fans. No one cared about Half Baked or the other shit he has done. he is basically a little baby. Take your Netflix money and be happy, he should of been proud Netflix was streaming his greatest work. He could of reached even more people by the younger kids who are growing up who never watched the show could get familiar with how truly hilarious Dave is. Instead he cried about it and had them take it off. Makes zero fucking sense.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I cant believe people give a shit about this. This is like 10 years ago when people were vehemently lighting up all of internet by arguing whether Conan was screwed by NBC or not

Animated GIF

Couchy

Molten Core Raider
I would call this a gigantic non-issue. Not like he's going through all kinds of avenues to bitch and moan. He just asked his current employer for a favor and they agreed. Dave may have some leverage on Netflix, but the fact they agreed to take it down is pretty cool of them in my opinion. Its like asking your current partner to not invite their former partner over to hang out at your new place. Viacom owns the rights and they can do with it as they please. He's not filing frivolous lawsuit after frivolous lawsuit just because he lost.

Goatface

i have forgotten what was said, but i remember thinking Brennan (co-creator) was in the right and Chappelle was being an asshole and hated people getting fame on his work.

wonder how much netflix paid for the streaming rights. i am sure it is nothing for them to eat the costs, but seems like dave could be getting close to being sued by viacom

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I would call this a gigantic non-issue. Not like he's going through all kinds of avenues to bitch and moan. He just asked his current employer for a favor and they agreed. Dave may have some leverage on Netflix, but the fact they agreed to take it down is pretty cool of them in my opinion. Its like asking your current partner to not invite their former partner over to hang out at your new place. Viacom owns the rights and they can do with it as they please. He's not filing frivolous lawsuit after frivolous lawsuit just because he lost.
Sounds like it was a big enough issue he had to rant about and pretend that he wasnt completely wrong and in no position to make such demands. Corporations take small losses in order for bigger future gains. They arent being cool here, they are scared that chappelle will whine and cost them money, they figured they can give the baby his bottle and skate unscathed. In other words, these are all shitty people fighting over money.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I cant believe people give a shit about this. This is like 10 years ago when people were vehemently lighting up all of internet by arguing whether Conan was screwed by NBC or not

Animated GIF

Conan got screwed. But it also led to way better work when he went to cable and had more control. I'm looking forward to what he'll do with HBO.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Conan got screwed. But it also led to way better work when he went to cable and had more control. I'm looking forward to what he'll do with HBO.
unimpressed morgan freeman GIF

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
pretty long rambling "Dave just talks without being funny", not really comedy and not really that interesting and way too much inside baseball talk but if you are a huge Chappelle mega fan I guess its... something. He is angry as FUCK at HBO at the end and pretty unhinged