Daybreak making new online RPG on UE4.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I just don't see them throwing away the eq next assets. I wonder if it'll have to do with that stuff.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I am wondering if the layoffs were for whatever was supposedly being built on Unreal Engine (an EQ successor?) or could those positions been for the partnership with NantWorks.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I just don't see them throwing away the eq next assets. I wonder if it'll have to do with that stuff.

Only reusable assets would be the characters and props,. Voxel tech won't be usable. I can't see them salvaging too much. The characters didn't get much acclaim, mostly criticism even. And the art style won't fit every project. Also, tech advancements since EQN make it even more unlikely to stick with those old assets. There are newer techniques for better & more efficient results, for practically every aspect.

I can see a Planetside Game much more easily than an EQ3. Planetside seems tailor made for the Unreal Engine. But if it's a BR game then ..LOL.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Only reusable assets would be the characters and props,. Voxel tech won't be usable. I can't see them salvaging too much. The characters didn't get much acclaim, mostly criticism even. And the art style won't fit every project. Also, tech advancements since EQN make it even more unlikely to stick with those old assets. There are newer techniques for better & more efficient results, for practically every aspect.

I can see a Planetside Game much more easily than an EQ3. Planetside seems tailor made for the Unreal Engine. But if it's a BR game then ..LOL.
Why would they use Unreal for a PS game? Seems like they would just modify the game in the existing lightforge engine.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
After some Google Fu it looks like they were hiring for a new mmo and shooter set with existing IPs and a completely new project.

Now, with that being said I'm leaning more towards a PlanetSide game since they used a character name from the game and not my account name.

I would find it odd that they are working on a new PlanetSide after they just announced a graphical upgrade and a new faction. I guess we will see what happens.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Why would they use Unreal for a PS game? Seems like they would just modify the game in the existing lightforge engine.

Only based on the evidence that they are building on Unreal at all, of all their assets it makes the most sense for a shooter/action style game. H1Z1 or Planetside fit the bill best. MMOs aren't really proven on the Unreal Engine.. though I'm sure it could work.

But for a game like Planetside with vehicles & shooting mechanics, that's the Engine's bread & butter.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Only based on the evidence that they are building on Unreal at all, of all their assets it makes the most sense for a shooter/action style game. H1Z1 or Planetside fit the bill best. MMOs aren't really proven on the Unreal Engine.. though I'm sure it could work.

But for a game like Planetside with vehicles & shooting mechanics, that's the Engine's bread & butter.
Right - not saying you're wrong, just saying it doesn't make sense to change engines from one that already works for a proported mode version of an existing game - just seems like a lot more work than necessary. It would make morse sense for a new EQ game, but that would beg the question as to why they wouldn't be using their own homegrown engine for that as well.

Last edited:

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What’s ponytail up too?

Funny story btw he can’t hang at the bar like Smedley, Higby, Tigole, and Tray.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They may write EQ on it, but you guys know it'll not even be a game. That's just how bad the genre has become. You don't even think "this is a bad game, I don't want to play it".

You actually think "Is this a game? No, it missed that mark. That's not even a game"

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
What’s ponytail up too?

Funny story btw he can’t hang at the bar like Smedley, Higby, Tigole, and Tray.

He's still pretending he has a VR development company with Terry Michaels, even though Terry works full-time with Amazon.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What in bloody fuck is a purpitrator?

A 1.2 K/D shotgun using light assault.

He's still pretending he has a VR development company with Terry Michaels, even though Terry works full-time with Amazon.

7BFC0442-34BE-48D5-8D66-2E65E695F524.jpeg

Don’t be jelly he’s living life to the fullest.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user