DC Universe (Batman vs Superman thread).

Chris

Potato del Grande
The extended cut of BvS is better than the theatrical, so maybe there is something there? Extended BvS still has a silly setup and dumb ending, and is too dark and brooding, but it is at least watchable!
BvS was Snyder Cut vs Studio's Snyder Cut, so basically just adding cut scenes.

This is Snyder Cut vs Studio's Whedon Cut, at least half the movie is going to be totally different scenes since they reshot most of the movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
well. from what i understand, snyder cut didn't even have that scene in it. the Superstache removal was because whedon needed to reshoot stuff while cavil was on contract making mission impossible.

i'm kinda interested in seeing it for a couple of reasons. 1) there's a sense of morbid curiousity. the schadenfreude of it all. 2) there are certain movies that the studio just royally screws up because they need it to fit a certain vision that THEY have and so it turns into some weird frankenstein's movie. josh trank's fantastic 4 is a good example of it. i have NO idea if his version of the movie would have been any good, but i think it would have been a lot more cohesive than what we got. if the snyder cut turns out to actually be better than the release, i wonder if it'll allow more room for directors. studios only make decisions based on money and if there's a clear message that leaving directors alone will net the studio more zeroes, then i think that's a good thing.

but that may be some superman level wishful thinking

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I made a comment several years ago where I honestly wondered if there was actually a lack of enough truly good CG artists/companies for all the movies that needed them. I still think that might actually be true. Some of the rebuttals to my theory were that not everyone spent their entire time on one movie, and they could keep hiring more artists, etc. But I still postulate that there are only so many "good" people to go around, and a lot of these studios probably jump at the opportunity to work on a Marvel or Pixar or whatever movie, and eventually someone is going to get the "B team" so to speak. And it seems like, to me at least, that DC constantly ends up with the B team. I mean, do we really think that if Cavill needed his mustache removed in an MCU movie that it would have looked that bad? Sure, you could say that time was the main problem, and maybe it was for the mustache, but as many of us have pointed out, Cyborg looks like absolute shit. Iron Man looked far better a decade earlier, so clearly the tech is there, but maybe the human element is just spread too thin for the industry and they've got people without as much talent or experience working on DC stuff.

I still might be completely wrong, but there is definitely SOME reason that, in general, DC movies look way shittier than MCU movies.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I made a comment several years ago where I honestly wondered if there was actually a lack of enough truly good CG artists/companies for all the movies that needed them. I still think that might actually be true. Some of the rebuttals to my theory were that not everyone spent their entire time on one movie, and they could keep hiring more artists, etc. But I still postulate that there are only so many "good" people to go around, and a lot of these studios probably jump at the opportunity to work on a Marvel or Pixar or whatever movie, and eventually someone is going to get the "B team" so to speak. And it seems like, to me at least, that DC constantly ends up with the B team. I mean, do we really think that if Cavill needed his mustache removed in an MCU movie that it would have looked that bad? Sure, you could say that time was the main problem, and maybe it was for the mustache, but as many of us have pointed out, Cyborg looks like absolute shit. Iron Man looked far better a decade earlier, so clearly the tech is there, but maybe the human element is just spread too thin for the industry and they've got people without as much talent or experience working on DC stuff.

I still might be completely wrong, but there is definitely SOME reason that, in general, DC movies look way shittier than MCU movies.

After watching the Corridor Crew on YT deconstructing good and bad CGI, I suspect it has very little to do with expertise on the part of the CG artists and almost everything to do with directors who don't understand the limits of CGI and/or expect the impossible. Or unrealistic timeframes, because CG work is time consuming.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
After watching the Corridor Crew on YT deconstructing good and bad CGI, I suspect it has very little to do with expertise on the part of the CG artists and almost everything to do with directors who don't understand the limits of CGI and/or expect the impossible. Or unrealistic timeframes, because CG work is time consuming.
how do you explain the 3 month turnaround on the revamped Sonic models in the Sonic movie?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Link to that YT vid?

Xerge

<Donor>
If they were smart a bearded supes could have worked and would have been easy enough to glue on.

nd02zrzpwbx41.jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
how do you explain the 3 month turnaround on the revamped Sonic models in the Sonic movie?

Because that's an simple and easy project, relatively speaking. I mean no doubt it was a scramble to get it done and looking as well as it did in such a short time frame, but they were working with a 100% CGI character, with pretty low detail on the facial mocap. Helps that the movie was just over an hour and 40, and there was a pretty decent chunk of screentime without Sonic in it. It's not like they were trying to redo Caesar or Gollum.

Link to that YT vid?

I mean, just search Corridor Crew on YT? They have dozens of videos.

• 2Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Because that's an simple and easy project, relatively speaking. I mean no doubt it was a scramble to get it done and looking as well as it did in such a short time frame, but they were working with a 100% CGI character, with pretty low detail on the facial mocap. Helps that the movie was just over an hour and 40, and there was a pretty decent chunk of screentime without Sonic in it. It's not like they were trying to redo Caesar or Gollum.

I mean, just search Corridor Crew on YT? They have dozens of videos.
I prefer their stuntman ones.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Hah. Soo apparently Warner/DC is pissed about the whole Snyder Cut thing. AT&T directly got all this rolling. They wanted something big for HBO Max. Something that could compete with something like The Mandalorian.

• 1Worf

Xerge

<Donor>
Zack Synder's Justice League: Season 1 would be zero competition to Mandalorian. A live action JL show is an untapped money printing fucking machine, CW proved that world building works and could easily provide actors with 10 years of work. For ex. crossovers are a yearly TV expectation now on the CW and i'm curious for the batwoman vs superman thing next year.

Edit: Is a Shazam cameo possible now?

• 2Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Zack Synder's Justice League: Season 1 would be zero competition to Mandalorian. A live action JL show is an untapped money printing fucking machine, CW proved that world building works and could easily provide actors with 10 years of work. For ex. crossovers are a yearly TV expectation now on the CW and i'm curious for the batwoman vs superman thing next year.

Edit: Is a Shazam cameo possible now?
I'm just stoked to see his take on Darkseid. That's all I wanted out of JL and they couldn't even do that right.

Xerge

<Donor>
I'm just stoked to see his take on Darkseid. That's all I wanted out of JL and they couldn't even do that right.

We're looking at

Darkseid
Ryan Choi (Atom)
martian Manhunter
More flash development (Iris West scenes?)
Green Lantern cameos
Black Canary cameo

In the end I just want more DC exposure. Plus not one actor so far has outright said they wouldn't be on board for anything. Even fatbatfleck responded positively.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
All his mustache shit was from reshoots that he did while in the middle of filming MI:Fallout. He grew the mustache for Mission Impossible, so if he had to shave and then wear something that wasn't going to be exactly the same you are fucking up 2 movies. It's not his fault that JL was a mess from the start. It's also not his fault that they used horrible CG guys.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users