Death Stranding

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I started a road right out of the lake knot city on Friday. Didn’t have the materials to finish it so I fucked off and kept doing deliveries. Started playing again on Saturday and the thing was almost complete. Came back a few hours later and it had doubled in size. That’s exactly how you do an online component in a single player game.

Also kind of cool how if people keep walking the same places, that will turn into a path. In the first area one site had a really rocky path up to it the first time I was there. Then when I came back later, a path had formed and it no longer had rocks everywhere around it so I could easily drive a bike there.

The game is strange, but.... it is incredibly well made. I will deliver all the packages and create all the things.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Man this game hits all the right points with me. Love the dystopian setting and the music really sets the mood when it kicks in. Its hard to believe the PS4 can pump out environments that look this good as old as it is.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I’m starting to think that I will never finish chapter 3, way too much stuff to do for me. Half the faction maxed. I think I need to build 2 more stretch of roads or so.

I’m utterly addicted to delivering stuff, this game is going to make me consider a career change. :)

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Man this game hits all the right points with me. Love the dystopian setting and the music really sets the mood when it kicks in. Its hard to believe the PS4 can pump out environments that look this good as old as it is.

Did someone say dystopian?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You guys are going to make me Redbox this shit , lol. Find it awesome that you guys are getting addicted to delivery quests, and building roads.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The more I read about this the less I want to buy it, but the more I want to play it, if that makes any sense.

I've been watching Etalyx play it and I want to play it more and more each stream, but yeah, my desire to pay $80(cad) for it decreases each time too. I think it's because the gameplay loop becomes more compelling while the story takes more of a backseat, making it feel more Sim than game.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've been watching Etalyx play it and I want to play it more and more each stream, but yeah, my desire to pay $80(cad) for it decreases each time too. I think it's because the gameplay loop becomes more compelling while the story takes more of a backseat, making it feel more Sim than game.
Just watched him for a few minutes dragging a big thing of cargo behind him, as he crawled up a mountain, and it went right along with him. He yelled, "You coming?!" hahaha... this game is hilarious.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Just watched him for a few minutes dragging a big thing of cargo behind him, as he crawled up a mountain, and it went right along with him. He yelled, "You coming?!" hahaha... this game is hilarious.
This had me rolling when they talk about dudes load then having the win emoji right after. Some really funny stuff in the game.
1573540885845.png

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'll pick this up next summer on PC I'm sure, but Kojima is a pretentious art-house douche

Kojima Productions has finally released the first game since becoming independent from KONAMI. Death Stranding officially launched two days ago on PlayStation 4, with a PC version scheduled for next Summer.

In an interview with Italian publication Tgcom24 published on the release day, Hideo Kojima had the chance to discuss the early reception of critics. While the average score was quite high, there were some low scores as well, coming mostly from US publications. Kojima attributed this to their preference for first-person shooter games, whereas Death Stranding, in his own words, 'flies higher'.

"I must say that the game received rave reviews, especially in Europe and Japan. Here in the United States, however, we have had stronger criticisms. Perhaps it is a difficult game to understand for a certain type of critic and audience. Americans are great fans of first-person shooters and Death Stranding isn't one, it flies higher.

I always try to create new things and disputes and discussions are fine, but it must be said that the Italians or the French have a different artistic sensibility that allows them to appreciate this kind of very original product, not only in video games but also in cinema"

• 1Solidarity

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
I kind of miss the days of arrogant celebrity game developers who say what they feel. Most devs are hidden away behind a curtain, and anything they say gets minced up by PR/HR.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I think he has a fair opinion on it, though I think some of the reason people in the US don't "get it" as much is that much of the game seems incoherent, and if things aren't just a chaos of action: A refined coherent structure is required.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't think it's any more incoherent than any of Kojima's other games. Much like anime and JRPGs I just ascribe it to non-Western storytelling style.

But for all intents and purposes it is batshit insane. I mean look at this Metal Gear Solid storyline.. it was always batshit.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, but MGS was ultimately an action game (stealth action, but still action) which can make up for the silliness for people that don't care for such silliness. Death Stranding is a walking simulator which is an instant turnoff for those sort of people.

I like what he's done with this simply because it's a truly new innovative idea, and his usual silliness seems to have a very attractive style to it this time around, which allows for enjoyment despite its incoherence.

I have not been this intrigued by a game for a very long time.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So if you play this game 2 years from now, will there already be a bunch of shit built, making the entire game shorter/easier? How does that work? Do contributions fade when the creators stop playing?

• 1Solidarity

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
Timefall destroys structures after a while if they're not maintained. "Likes" keep structures from degrading. So in theory only popular structures will last is my understanding.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm curious if there will be anything at all in the world if in 2 years you're the only person playing.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm so on the fence about getting this.

Pissed I wasted *cough*monies*cough* on outer worlds already.

• 1Solidarity

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm waiting for PC regardless, but not sure I'll buy on release. Might wait for a sale.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So this morning I go to work as usual, it's the first day of snow here. I get out of my car and I'm walking toward my car with lunch box and iPad in hand, when I slipped on ice I never saw just slightly under the snow. I fell on my back...and the first thing that cross my hand my mind after realizing nothing is broken is how useful it would have been to have controller in hand be able to press L2 and R2 to keep my balance.

Now I'm home with back and groin pain. :(

• 2Like