Death Stranding

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Glad I rented the game on PS4, but I'm probably going to buy the PC version when it comes out. I want to do an offline playthrough and see how much different it is since I'm still pretty torn about the online features.

On one hand it's nice to get tens of thousands of likes because people use my roads, and I'm not sure how you even raise bridge link level at all if you aren't online. And you can't really build everything yourself because materials get rather tedious to farm in truly massive quantities, plus there's the issue of bandwidth.

On the other hand, I've still barely built anything at all besides roads because the moment I add a new area to the UCA the entire region is populated with other people's shit. There's so goddamn much of it that it ruins the game for me at times. As I said I don't want to build it all myself, but it would be nice just once to not think, "Hey, this would be a good spot for a safehouse, I should go get my alloy stockpi- oh ffs, nevermind, there's already one built right over there." I could just demolish the existing one to remove it from my world, but that would be dumb. I'm already past bridge link 70 just from road likes, and there are massive diminishing returns once you get that high, so there's not even any upside to artificially handicapping yourself by doing that.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Easy to wait for pc (and steam sale for me) when you realize what those graphics will look like on a modern pc.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I would if I thought I'd be up for playing it again. I've lost interest in replaying games over the years.

Yeah I'd feel the same. I've been looking forward to this game for a long time so I didn't want to wait another long while before PC. I think what I might do is pirate it when it release on PC since I own it on PS4 already if I really need to play it again/more at that point.

Edit:

Another reason why I'm happy with the PS4 purchase is normally I prefer things on PC when available. But this game is so chill in a way that I actually enjoy the couch for it. My PC chair is good and all but not the most relaxing for long hauls. First time I could really say that I prefer the idea of a game on console more than PC.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Has anyone that started playing today or yesterday experienced too many things being built by others as well? I was kind of hoping that people would get into newer shared instances of the world.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
What's a good stream to watch where someone is just playing the damn game and not trying to me an entertainer or do voices?

Figured I'd watch a stream one more time and pick it up tomorrow if still interested.

ili

Blackwing Lair Raider
Has anyone that started playing today or yesterday experienced too many things being built by others as well? I was kind of hoping that people would get into newer shared instances of the world.
Its funny, I mentioned this before somewhere else. That new players will be flooded with stuff built by others if they didn't join in at release and i got mostly shit for it. Hopefully on PC they let people pick their servers, or a friends only mode. I know you can turn off online mode and not see anything.
There is a video of someone speed running the game in under 7 hours with all the roads built. The main story of the game is only about 15 hours long if you just focus that. Everything else can be done after you beat the main story. Personally I would just do the main story before getting burnout on building a bunch of stuff, since you can do all that After.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Uhhg the game play suddenly changes with assault rifles and shotguns that do not fit into the first many hours. Each weapon has its own annoying anmo? Wtf. I need to pick up and store a whole separate assault rifle to get more ammo for my current rifle the drop the empty one? Blood bags stack like 100metal but them sometimes they fit into a pouch. Seems like a horrible game play change and ruins the unique qualities I was starting to love in this game.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Its funny, I mentioned this before somewhere else. That new players will be flooded with stuff built by others if they didn't join in at release and i got mostly shit for it. Hopefully on PC they let people pick their servers, or a friends only mode. I know you can turn off online mode and not see anything.
There is a video of someone speed running the game in under 7 hours with all the roads built. The main story of the game is only about 15 hours long if you just focus that. Everything else can be done after you beat the main story. Personally I would just do the main story before getting burnout on building a bunch of stuff, since you can do all that After.

I'm not too bothered by it so far as I'm only in chapter 3 (yay roads!) and while it was funny to see a million things already built/done it still only reduced the initial time by a little bit. I went out of my way to basically try new paths to places and building structures to facilitate them and have been getting flooded with likes for doing it, so it's still very easy to get to "do" stuff. But yeah I can see it being funny to link up like the Craftsman and suddenly there's a small city in front of his base when you turn around.

Vorph

It gets worse and worse the further you go. You unlock more things that can be built and by extension there's vastly more of it all already built everywhere. And sadly the only thing you can do to mitigate the worst of it is to change the signs setting to 'show only my signs'. Everything else is there to stay unless you manually dismantle it and go offline.

Shared vehicles even start to get annoying, since assholes like to leave them right in the middle of the power lane on the road and there's no way to dismantle them. You have to stop and move them out of the way.

I wish playing on hard difficulty reduced online structures by about 80%, and even on normal it should be about half of what it is now. Unfortunately difficulty has basically no effect at all. MULEs are trivial no matter what, and BT occasionally take 2 grenades instead of just 1. I guess Sam takes more damage too, but that has never been an issue.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
You could play offline. I did by mistake for a long time after rest mode. Was clutter free, but I like the helpers and helping.

Vorph

I'd hate to miss out on the good parts of the online though, like how paths get worn into terrain that is initially difficult to traverse even on foot and just about impassable with a vehicle. From what I've heard, you can sort of make a path that way by yourself, but the rain will destroy it very quickly without other people to 'maintain' it. There's a lot of really cool ideas like that in the online functionality; they just screwed up by populating the world with an absolutely ridiculous amount of PCC stuff. From what I'm seeing on reddit, people don't even have to build their own roads anymore because they're being auto-completed by other players as well. At least I got to do that much myself, even if I've never built anything with PCCs besides one mailbox and one generator (and the things the story forces you to, which don't count because they hand you the mats for that too).

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
If you ever want to get a huge laugh, try explaining this game while you are playing it to someone else.

True Story:

"Hey what are you playing?"

"Well... So Norman Reedus from Walking Dead is the main character see? (Zoom in), and there was something that happened to the planet that made these ghosts called BT's which are people that have died I think, or not, I dunno. And They haunt the planet. They normally hang around areas where it rains and the rain isn't rain but called time fall and it actually increases time at a dramatic rate with anything it touches - but turns to water after so I can fill my canteen. Anyway, the BT's (Ghosts) are bad. If they kill you and enough time passes before you are cremated you basically turn into an Atom Bomb and it takes out cities. So, basically I am connecting the internet to all these cities that cannot talk to each other by delivering supplies. Don't worry about the ghosts though because I have this baby called a BB inside an artificial womb that attaches with a hose to my body so I can sense the ghosts so I can hold my breath and stealth past them when I am making deliveries and basically being an IT network guy for America. Or, if I get really daring, I can take a piss, poop, or shower, and I will have #1, #2, or shower grenades made out of my cells that will destroy the ghosts so I can get by them. Other players can make things too and help you on your way - and if you please others you get Facebook likes."

And when I asked if my wife wanted to know more...

1573748240422.png

• 1Worf

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I told me wife I could not watch the end of survivor last night as I had to make deliveries in my cargo ghost game.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So far, I've built most of the roads in Chapter 3 by myself, I think only 1 or 2 sections only were not done by me. I see mats contribution but most of the work has been done for me.

As for the PCC stuff, I build some once in a while but not tons. People tend to try and go for most direct route, and I go for the easiest one most of the time so the stuff they build is not always where I go. My construction pretty much limits itself to generators and shelters though.

I really love the online stuff though and I hope we see more of that type of online component in the future "when it fits the game". What would be nice would be a setting where you could adjust the number of items in your world...like low, medium and high.

• 1Like

Vorph

What do shit/piss/gamer girl bathwater grenades even do? I threw a couple early on and it just seemed to piss off the BTs, which would send the invisible/footprint things straight to me and then I'd get wrecked. Since then I only carry blood grenades, which actually kill the fuckers. Not sure about the 'custom' grenades either, for that matter. They eat up a lot more blood, but [on Hard] BTs that take 2 grenades to kill still take 2 of the custom ones which seems like a waste. I haven't tried them on boss BTs yet though, maybe it makes them easier provided you bring a ton of blood bags too.

• 1Like

Terial

Trakanon Raider
last night i finally decided to progress my story and head to Knot City, this takes you over a mountain range with some BT's in the way.
i tried to use my trike, but the terrain was pretty bad and i ended up fighting the weird squid/whale thing. when i got back to my trike it was almost dead

So i decided to take it back and repair it.

My question is this....
can you lose your trike? Does it just die and get abandoned out in the wilderness?
what happens if you lose it or it dies out there. (yes i know it's on the map to find)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
last night i finally decided to progress my story and head to Knot City, this takes you over a mountain range with some BT's in the way.
i tried to use my trike, but the terrain was pretty bad and i ended up fighting the weird squid/whale thing. when i got back to my trike it was almost dead

So i decided to take it back and repair it.

My question is this....
can you lose your trike? Does it just die and get abandoned out in the wilderness?
what happens if you lose it or it dies out there. (yes i know it's on the map to find)

Yes you can lose it, it takes times though. You can always built another or take one someone has left in the world, I think you can own 4, if you built a 5th one it destroys the oldest one. Don't worry much about abandoning it. :)

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Yes you can lose it, it takes times though. You can always built another or take one someone has left in the world, I think you can own 4, if you built a 5th one it destroys the oldest one. Don't worry much about abandoning it. :)

good to know, i've not gotten to where i can build them yet. I think i'm spending too much time in chapter 2, going to push forward to 3 probably tonight.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I'd hate to miss out on the good parts of the online though, like how paths get worn into terrain that is initially difficult to traverse even on foot and just about impassable with a vehicle. From what I've heard, you can sort of make a path that way by yourself, but the rain will destroy it very quickly without other people to 'maintain' it. There's a lot of really cool ideas like that in the online functionality; they just screwed up by populating the world with an absolutely ridiculous amount of PCC stuff. From what I'm seeing on reddit, people don't even have to build their own roads anymore because they're being auto-completed by other players as well. At least I got to do that much myself, even if I've never built anything with PCCs besides one mailbox and one generator (and the things the story forces you to, which don't count because they hand you the mats for that too).
I must be instanced with some lazy fucks then cause it took me multiple play sessions (just finishing last night) to complete the N > S road in chapter 3 up to the point where it gives a "road under construction" section that I can't complete yet (need further in story i guess?).

• 1Like