Death Stranding

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Put my first 4 hours in and I'm enjoying it so far. It thankfully doesn't suffer too much from being 30fps, and the controls are fine. It also manages to keep your interest despite being about walking around just due to the minutia of finding a good path. It's pretty relaxing too, but pumps your adrenaline up the moment you encounter BT's. Game looks fucking amazing in 4k(cb) hdr.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There are some really great moments in this that are only semi-scripted.

I took on one of the main story missions to bring a new city into the network and the route didn't look too nasty, so I just hopped on a bike without too much gear and took off. I underestimated just how rough the terrain was, and I didn't know at the time that all of that rough terrain was filled with BT's and Timefall. Climbing up the terrain while being attacked, running out of supplies, my BB stressing out, being surrounded by enemies, and the rain eating away at my cargo, I'm hanging on by a thread until I finally break through the enemy area and struggle up to the top of the peak where the rain breaks and I'm offered a gorgeous view of the valley where my destination was, and the game queues up this song which played while I got to enjoy a peaceful descent.

Here's a clip of it that I saved afterwards, which I rarely do.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
It's difficult to explain why Death Stranding is my GOTY. A large part of it is because of the moments of emergent gameplay that you tend to only see in the best MMOs, where in the struggle to overcome the obstacles in the game, which are often fairly mundane but seemingly insurmountable, you construct your own stories within the gameworld. The one and only time I was dragged by BTs is one of the craziest gaming moments in recent memory. It was semi-dynamic and terrifying.

I think DS will have a big impact on how games handle player interactivity with the environment. Terrain mattering so much makes the world seem so much more alive. I love the shared cooperative mechanics. There's something big there.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Finally got around to starting this. I just beat the first boss. Good stuff so far. I can see how this game might drive some people crazy, but I find it cathartic as all hell. I honestly just want to run packages over and over and I don't fully grasp why it' so enjoyable. The BTs are my least favorite part so far but that's mostly a nitpick. For me the super natural stuff was always the worst part of Kojima games.

Can't wait to get home from work and play more.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Finally got around to starting this. I just beat the first boss. Good stuff so far. I can see how this game might drive some people crazy, but I find it cathartic as all hell. I honestly just want to run packages over and over and I don't fully grasp why it' so enjoyable. The BTs are my least favorite part so far but that's mostly a nitpick. For me the super natural stuff was always the worst part of Kojima games.

Can't wait to get home from work and play more.

BT's get much better once you start getting upgrades, and another weapon soon'ish

I've been slowly working on the last few trophies i need for platinum, haven't really had much playtime lately(work), but it is relaxing just running a few missions off every night.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
If there was a mode without BTs and Mules, I'd play the hell out of it. Just deliveries, BB & timefall. Enable the music player out in the open, too.

I'm in.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1579879439460.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I'm glad I waited. It looks a lot better on PC with the higher frame rate.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
This comes out for the PC in a few days. Even though I hate almost everything about video games these days I am tempted to buy it because I love Kojima and Mads Mikkelson.

Is Mads prominently featured in this or is he more of a cameo?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This comes out for the PC in a few days. Even though I had almost everything about video games these days I am tempted to buy it because I love Kojima and Mads Mikkelson.

Is Mads prominently featured in this or is he more of a cameo?

Not super prominent but long/extended cut scenes involving him.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Near the End he plays a slightly bigger role, does a good job though.. But after a point you figure out the "gimmick" before the whole thing is shown to you...

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Strange pricing on this here. On Steam this is more expensive than normal in Norway, converting to USD it is $68.9, while on Epic, it is $44.7. No mention of a sale on Epic, just cheaper. Not any weird currency conversion thing either, because other games don't have that difference. They cost the same between Steam and Epic. Not sure if this applies to everywhere, and if you're thinking about picking it up, you might want to check. I mean, Steam is of course the better store, but that's a fairly large price difference.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Devs have the option to go with Steam's defaul region pricing setup or to set their own. I'm not sure how it works on Epic, but there might not be a choice. That could explain the discrepancy.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Be odd if Kojima decided to just set prices higher here for this random region.

Don't think I've seen a title this expensive without being some digital deluxe edition or somesuch. Usually prices between Epic and Steam are identical, which is why I always get them on Steam. Checked a few other games, all identical between the platforms.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Strange pricing on this here. On Steam this is more expensive than normal in Norway, converting to USD it is $68.9, while on Epic, it is $44.7. No mention of a sale on Epic, just cheaper. Not any weird currency conversion thing either, because other games don't have that difference. They cost the same between Steam and Epic. Not sure if this applies to everywhere, and if you're thinking about picking it up, you might want to check. I mean, Steam is of course the better store, but that's a fairly large price difference.

Just based on your post I guessed that it was published by 505 Games. They are notorious for shitty regional pricing.

And also Denuvo. Was thinking about getting the game to play again on PC if it sounded like they did anything to fix the way you barely ever need to build anything yourself besides roads, but that saves me the trouble of having to dig through patch notes or any PC-specific update info.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Capitalizing on Mads's popularity in Scandinavia.