Death Stranding

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I am going to just play fresh on PS5 - never really finished the 1st one and not too sure how far I got. Looking forward to 4k60 ;)

Same, downloading it now. I only got slightly into chapter 3 once you unlocked the "multiplayer" section, but then another game came along. Got the $10 upgrade since I had the PS4 version digital.

Looking forward to actually getting into it.

PS5:
- On performance mode runs at 60 at 1080p. Steady, no drops at all.
- On quality mode, it is native 4k, but not at 30fps. Tries to run at 60 and does it for the most part with some dips in heavy action (but seems like regular exploration is steady at 60). From the video looks like when dips come it is still in the 50s.
- Has a mode for ultra wide where it increases the FOV, but adds black bars (not really an issue with high quality TVs since bars become pitch black). On this mode it can run quality mode at 4k at a steady 60fps (so I think I will try to use this mode).
- Load times, while it isn't especially made to take advantage of the PS5 fancy load times, it still increases load times from over 1 minute on the PS4 when booting it up to 3 seconds on the PS5.
- Game takes advantage of the haptic system on the PS5 with heavier buttons with heavier load and such. Vibrations for rain, terrain and so on.

Changes in the Directors Cut
- Will take a while to get to the "new" content which include challenges as well as new content and story. From other reviews the new content isn't a single chunk, but rather added throughout the game ("tutorial" section, first map, is the same), so recommended to start a new playthrough to experience it.
- World map is tweaked / updated.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I can't wait to play this again.

I have others things to play first, especially since I played it twice already. :)

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They aren't kidding about the load times. It's insanely faster than it was on PS4 Pro version which was like Bloodborne slow.

I'm a big fan of the ultrawide mode too. Fullscreen almost always runs 60fps though, so if you don't care about having the extra FOV all the time but framedrops annoy you, you can always play it fullscreen until you run into a BT/scripted boss fight section.

Can't say I've noticed the haptic stuff at all yet. Which is probably a good thing, since I generally shut it all off the moment I do notice it being "in your face".

The save transfer doesn't seem nearly as bad as DF made it out to be. I was offered the option to import my PS4 save directly from the PS+ cloud rather than having to install both versions of the game and jump through all the other hoops they mentioned. Didn't actually bother doing the transfer though, my save would have been practically at the end of the game.

spronk

FPS noob
another video detailing diffs between orig and DC

i'm not sure if its a game i will absolutely hate (walking sim) or really enjoy, but i figure it'll be $20-30 on black friday and then i won't care if i just give away the disc after playing for an hour or two.

• 1Like

Vorph

It's already $30 or less today if you buy a PS4 copy and upgrade it. (I got mine from GameFly for like $10, but even just walking into Gamestop it's $20 new/$18 used.)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Same, downloading it now. I only got slightly into chapter 3 once you unlocked the "multiplayer" section, but then another game came along. Got the $10 upgrade since I had the PS4 version digital.

Looking forward to actually getting into it.

PS5:
- On performance mode runs at 60 at 1080p. Steady, no drops at all.
- On quality mode, it is native 4k, but not at 30fps. Tries to run at 60 and does it for the most part with some dips in heavy action (but seems like regular exploration is steady at 60). From the video looks like when dips come it is still in the 50s.
- Has a mode for ultra wide where it increases the FOV, but adds black bars (not really an issue with high quality TVs since bars become pitch black). On this mode it can run quality mode at 4k at a steady 60fps (so I think I will try to use this mode).
- Load times, while it isn't especially made to take advantage of the PS5 fancy load times, it still increases load times from over 1 minute on the PS4 when booting it up to 3 seconds on the PS5.
- Game takes advantage of the haptic system on the PS5 with heavier buttons with heavier load and such. Vibrations for rain, terrain and so on.

Changes in the Directors Cut
- Will take a while to get to the "new" content which include challenges as well as new content and story. From other reviews the new content isn't a single chunk, but rather added throughout the game ("tutorial" section, first map, is the same), so recommended to start a new playthrough to experience it.
- World map is tweaked / updated.

So basically, no reason to play on Performance?

I recently wondered a similar thing about Ghost of Tsushima, because the framerate looked the same on both settings while the resolution was much better on one.

• 1Like

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Does Greenland have this much....well...green land though? I've flown over Greenland a bunch of times and the only green parts are the very extreme edges, even in the Summer. I guess those edges are pretty big on the ground, though.

But yeah, large parts of Iceland have no people around and extremely DS-like environments.
Honestly, it seems to be modeled from both environments, you could even say the maps, Svalbard defiantly doesn't have any vegetation on it except the seeds in the vault right?

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Since starting this game early last week, I've been really addicted to it. It's a great game that I didn't it expect to be. I'm only on Act 3 too.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Since starting this game early last week, I've been really addicted to it. It's a great game that I didn't it expect to be. I'm only on Act 3 too.

It's on my shortlist. For next game after Dread I had to decide between this, Hades, Code Vein, Pillars of Eternity, or Ori. Went with CV but I might switch to Hades or DS.

• 1Like

Araxen

I just got the Episode 4, and the game went from pretty cool to pretty fucking meh. Assault rifles and shit... ugh. I just turned off the game. Pretty disappointed in that shit.

Araxen

$18 on Steam this weekend which I believe is an all time low for it on Steam.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
is the directors cut not on steam?

its $30-40 for consoles as well, i picked up a copy from gamestop. not sure if i'll play anytime soon, but the disc includes all the DLC and stuff

Janx

<Silver Donator>

its $30-40 for consoles as well, i picked up a copy from gamestop. not sure if i'll play anytime soon, but the disc includes all the DLC and stuff
PC doesnt have directors cut. Hope we get it at some point.

Vorph

Reminder: you can buy the PS4 version for $20 or less and upgrade it for $10.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Reminder: you can buy the PS4 version for $20 or less and upgrade it for $10.
Upgrade it so I can play on Steam? I have the PS4 version, but I want to play on the computer and was planning on buying it when I got home tonight

Vorph

Upgrade it so I can play on Steam? I have the PS4 version, but I want to play on the computer and was planning on buying it when I got home tonight
No, Steam is just on sale for $18 and there is no Director's Cut for the PC version yet.

• 1Solidarity

Araxen

I finally finished this the other day. 120 hours on normal. I didn't want to play on hard because I figured I would have to repair stuff more often. I did max all the factions, built all the roads, etc... There is still some stuff for me to do if I want to plat it which I doubt I do.

A great odd game. It must hold the world record for longest ending to a game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Bumping this thread to say I have finally gotten around to playing this and I'm almost done with episode 3 and loving it. I was really sceptical if I was going to like it but it just clicks with me. Noticed the PS5 Directors Cut was available on PS+ and decided to give it a try. Now I can't put it down.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>
Bumping this thread to say I have finally gotten around to playing this and I'm almost done with episode 3 and loving it. I was really sceptical if I was going to like it but it just clicks with me. Noticed the PS5 Directors Cut was available on PS+ and decided to give it a try. Now I can't put it down.

It is indeed oddly awesome. I completed the plat just because.