Death Stranding

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So what the hell did I just watch here? What the hell is this game? Walking sim?

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
MGS5 was a great game. I like Kojima because the guy is willing to do absolutely insane, whacky ass shit and just put it into games. Things that sometimes don't work out all that well but damned if it wasn't interesting.
  1. Psycho Mantis in MGS - reads your mind via controller unless you put it in the second slot before fighting him. This is game design brilliance and has never been seen again really. The boss also would read your memory card and say shit like, "I see you like Castlevania."
  2. Character Creator in MGS5 as a total troll mechanic that is shitblasted the second you're done with it because the place burns down. LOL.
  3. MGS5 was in some ways an incomplete mess but it STILL had so much content I spent 200 hours on it.
  4. Snake Eater, full of brilliant experimental game mechanics.
He has a lot of hit or miss shit but you really can't blame the guy for trying. Every Kojima game has at least had some very memorable moments.
5 just ruined itself for me when it “ended”. Clearly telegraphed end of the franchise and budget cut off. I liked it up until then but it doesn’t actually have a complete story/game. :/

spronk

FPS noob
To understand Death Stranding – the intent behind its narrative and the type of game that it is trying to be – you need to forget about the BBs, BTs, and strangely captivating urination systems.

Hideo Kojima has long attempted (somewhat unsuccessfully) to explain that Death Stranding was a game about connection, and it has taken a new behind-closed-doors demonstration finally gave me a clear idea of the intent behind his laboured explanations.

The thing that really stood out to me was just how simple this game is at its core. Death Stranding is a game about walking.

5300acab28a9f27c712e42528dd0911b.jpg

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Finally, a game about something I'm good at in real life. Walking.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The big question for me is can we run? Or is it just walking. I don't think a walking game is enough, but if we can run too then that completely different. Add jumping and crawling and I'm all in.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't even think I care about running. All I want in a video game is the ability to walk, and the ability to call out racism & sexism / speak truth to power when I see it. Everything else is just fluff.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
There was a walking game called Dear Esther years ago, I remember it looked really nice but the whole thing was a load of crap about someone dying. After that shit I'll never play another walking sim.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Dear Esther, What happened to Edith Finch, Everyone gone to the Rapture, Obduction(pretty much any game by Cyan, except Call of Cthulhu), yay walking sim's ! But I bet there is more too it they just are not showing anything else, which I don't blame them.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
There was a walking game called Dear Esther years ago, I remember it looked really nice but the whole thing was a load of crap about someone dying. After that shit I'll never play another walking sim.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Gone Home etc... The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was, an "ok" story. But you're just dramatically better off reading a short book or watching TV or some shit if you're only tuning into a video game for a story. Gone Home was a massive piece of shit. The only "walking simulator" that I actually liked recently was The Stanley Parable, and I'd probably consider that more of a puzzle game.

Walking simulators are made by people who don't know how to make actual video games. I don't blame them for doing it, I'd love to make one and sell that shit... But it still doesn't change the fact that I couldn't make a real game.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
About 23 mins in he starts stealth killing people like in MGS5 or something, steals a truck then boss fights a Cthulhu.